Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Coaches/Coaching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is it with all the retreads/retired/non-teachers coaching in this region?

There is going to come a time when schools are going to hire a coach who is young and going to build their own program or they are going to just stay in the same rut.

We have coaches in this region who -

had 0 experience in coaching basketball before getting a job.

who have retired and came back.

who are retired teachers.

who are not even teachers nor have they ever had teaching credentials.

I'm not saying they haven't had success, some have great legacy's but man when are we going to get fresh young guys in this region?

It seems that if a young guy is given a shot, he gets 1-3 years then is forced out.

Then an old retread come back in and just so happens talent is up at that school.....

Who is the youngest coach in the region last year?

Pretty sure it is McKenzie at Johnson Central, and boy did he have a nice run this year.

If it wasn't it was either LeMaster from ER and he is gone......for an older coach.

It is just frustrating as a fan of kids and basketball in this region that we don't have many young coaches.
region Wrote:What is it with all the retreads/retired/non-teachers coaching in this region?

There is going to come a time when schools are going to hire a coach who is young and going to build their own program or they are going to just stay in the same rut.

We have coaches in this region who -

had 0 experience in coaching basketball before getting a job.

who have retired and came back.

who are retired teachers.

who are not even teachers nor have they ever had teaching credentials.

I'm not saying they haven't had success, some have great legacy's but man when are we going to get fresh young guys in this region?

It seems that if a young guy is given a shot, he gets 1-3 years then is forced out.

Then an old retread come back in and just so happens talent is up at that school.....

Who is the youngest coach in the region last year?

Pretty sure it is McKenzie at Johnson Central, and boy did he have a nice run this year.

If it wasn't it was either LeMaster from ER and he is gone......for an older coach.

It is just frustrating as a fan of kids and basketball in this region that we don't have many young coaches.
Mountain politics at its best!!! Not only in the 15th but other mountain regions also.
I would rather have someone young to come in and build up the program instead of hiring someone that's been around for 20+ Years
Coaches -

57th
Johnson Central - Tommy McKenzie
Lawrence County - Josh Cook
Magoffin County - Nehi West
Paintsville - Bill Mike Runyon
Sheldon Clark - Kevin Spurlock

58th
Allen Central - Brad Short
Betsy Layne - Jr. Newsome
Prestonsburg - James Derossett
South Floyd - Barry Hall

59th
East Ridge - Randy McCoy
Pikeville - Bart Williams
Shelby Valley - Greg Newsome

60th
Belfry - Randy Casey
Phelps - Bobby Varney
Pike Central - Kelly Carwile

I know most of these guys but I do not know a lot about their background, other than a couple in the 60th.

A lot of older guys on there, some middle aged, how many under 35?
Just curious, what does age have to do with coaching?
Pupaw Wrote:Just curious, what does age have to do with coaching?

Kinda of my point.
From the way I read it, I was left with the impression that you felt as though there aren't enough young coaches in the 15th Region. That's why I asked. If a person is right for the job I don't care if he's 35 or 75.
Some coaches know when their is enough talent to get back into coaching. makes them look better and the one they replaced look like crap!
Guys, I made this comment last year and a couple of months ago on the girls site when Bobby Spears was hired at Pikeville. Here is the fact of the matter, schools have few or no teaching jobs. Unless a young coach already has a teaching job in the system, more than likely they have no chance of getting coaching jobs. The older, retired teachers/coaches are drawing their retirement checks and do not need a teachers salary, therefore the school systems kill 2 birds with 1 stone, they save a teachers salary and most of the time they are getting an experienced and successful coach. Used to be schools wanted a coach to also be a teacher in the building, that is not the case now and I'm afraid it will only get worse. It all comes down like always to the mighty dollar making most of the decisions for us.
Age has nothing to do w/ coaching. I don't get this thread
Coach McKenzie at Johnson Central is 30.
This politics bullshit really applies in Pike Co, and the situation with Coach Lemaster being fired and of all people, Randy McCoy being hired. I have never been more embarrassed and ashamed of my school in my life. If I go to ANY ER games this year, it will be to support the boys, and that's it.
vundy33 Wrote:This politics bullshit really applies in Pike Co, and the situation with Coach Lemaster being fired and of all people, Randy McCoy being hired. I have never been more embarrassed and ashamed of my school in my life. If I go to ANY ER games this year, it will be to support the boys, and that's it.

Roger Wagner needs to go. But first we all must unite and get rid of our sorry board members. They are the ones who allow Wagner to play his politics.:redboxer: