Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Griffey passes Mantle with 537th home run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. passed Mickey Mantle with his 537th career homer Wednesday, taking over sole possession of 12th place on the career list.

The Cincinnati Reds star led off the fifth inning with his first homer of the season. His drive off Jerome Williams was the third of the day off the Chicago Cubs' staff -- Bronson Arroyo and Rich Aurilia already had homered.

The homer also gave Griffey 1,538 career RBI, breaking his tie with Joe DiMaggio for 31st on the career list.

Last year, Griffey was still recovering from reconstructive hamstring surgery at the start of the season and didn't get his first homer until his 22nd game of the season, the longest such drought of his career.
That's awesome
I still can't believe Bronson Arroyo homered though
Just imagin how many HRs Griffey would have if he hadn't been injured so much!
He would be heading for Aarons record that's for sure
Always been a fan of Griffey and I'm happy for him and he would be the one right on the homerun record without all the seasons he had injury trouble with.
at .500!!!! Only two games, but still:rockon:
i hope Jr stays healthy all year
Glad for Jr. just hope he's able to play all season. At least for the time being it appears he's hit his homers on his own without the use of steroids.
Vincent Vega Wrote:i hope Jr stays healthy all year

I'd say you got a better chance of winning the PowerBall
Congrats to Jr. hopefull he will not get hurt this year
I like the fact that Cincy is where he wanted to play. He has been and still is one of the better players in the league. Just think if the Mick had stayed healthy what he could have added to his numbers.
Good job Jr.
Way to go Jr.... now to just keep him from getting an injury
Im a big Griffey fan and i think if he stays healthy it wouldnt suprise me if he broke Babe Ruths all time homerun record in the next couple of years but hopefully he will break hank aarons by the end of his career.
I like Griffey. I hope he stays healthy. He is on my fantasy team.
Way to go Jr. hope he can stay healthy.
ooh-rah Wrote:Way to go Jr. hope he can stay healthy.
Griffey Jr. is on the disabled list again.:igiveup:
One major thing you gotta like about him is he's not all juiced on steroids (to my knowledge), he used to be a better power hitter than McGwire and Bonds, then they started juicing, he didn't
That's true. You gotta respect him for that.
BurntTires Wrote:That's true. You gotta respect him for that.

It is and I do