Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rank the 12th region 2012-13 season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does everyone think about this very competitive region?
There are some really good teams this year in the 12th Region. Defending regional champion Lincoln County returns their top players from a year ago. Southwestern, though young, is going to be even better than last year. Danville is supposed to be pretty good, according to people in the area. Pulaski County should be in the hunt, as well, so look for them to make some noise.
I would rank 12th region:
Lincoln
Casey
Danville
Wayne
Rockcastle
Southwestern
Garrad
Pulaski
Mercer
Somerset
I would rank the 12th region this way:
1. Lincoln
2. Casey
3. Danville
4. Wayne
5. Rock
6. Southwestern
7. Pulaski
8. Mercer
9. Garrad
10.monticello
11.somerset
12.mccreary
I honestly think Mercer County will have the best team in the 12th. last year they were young finished the season 27-6 lost in the 2nd round in region. according to khsaa the had no seniors last season. almost half the team were 7th and 8th graders
Mercer had about 4 or 5 seniors last year. They always rebuild quick though and I think they will have a good season. By the end of the year they will be part of 6 or 7 teams that could win region but Lincoln is the slight favorite. Casey made it to the finals of region and returns everyone (pitman was hurt and did not play during that run). Danville,rock,Wayne and southwestern will be in the mix. This region is wide open.
^ They had a few seniors. I think Savannah Taylor, Cawood Dedman, and some others. They do return Claunch and Saylor, who are both pretty good.
I would put Lincoln County first, because they return Emily Fox, Rachel Spangler, and Sidney Harris from last season's Final Four team.

Southwestern will be pretty good this winter, as they return all but one starter. Adison Corder, Destiny Molden, Samantha Fitzgerald, and Brittany Combs, all return and should be even better from a season ago.

Brian Miller's Pulaski County bunch will look to challenge for a regional title, led by twins Haley Warren and Brittany Warren.

Casey County, led by Jasmine Johnson, will be back once again. Last year, the young Lady Rebs made it all the way to the finals of the 12th Region Tournament.
After doing some research, southwestern did return 4 starters. They finished 21-10 last year which means they started 3 freshman 1 eighth grader and a senior. According to khsaa they have no seniors this year and there top 6 players are underclass men. Is this team a real threat this season to win region? Can they compete against Lincoln's seniors?
Hoops12 Wrote:After doing some research, southwestern did return 4 starters. They finished 21-10 last year which means they started 3 freshman 1 eighth grader and a senior. According to khsaa they have no seniors this year and there top 6 players are underclass men. Is this team a real threat this season to win region? Can they compete against Lincoln's seniors?

They do not have any seniors this season, so they will depend on sophomores and freshman to get the job done. I feel like they can win the region, as well as, compete with Lincoln's seniors. Last season, the Lady Pats barely beat SW, but a lot has changed since then. One thing that helps SW is that the 12th Region Tournament is not at Lincoln this year.
While Southwestern does have a young class I know a few of those kids are hold backs and should be a year older. So having said that, while they are young class wise, they are older than they appear!
Mountaineer Man Wrote:While Southwestern does have a young class I know a few of those kids are hold backs and should be a year older. So having said that, while they are young class wise, they are older than they appear!

Agreed.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:While Southwestern does have a young class I know a few of those kids are hold backs and should be a year older. So having said that, while they are young class wise, they are older than they appear!

Southwestern does have 2 girls that have been held back. I think the biggest advantage is that they were given the opportunity to play meaningful minutes very early in their careers. One thing that can be said for coach rice is he will play the players that have earned playing time, regardless of age or grade. He has done this ever since he arrived at SW. I would be curious to know how many players on other 12th region teams have hold backs. I don't know, but I would guess there are several.
Lincoln
Danville
Southwestern
Wayne
Casey
Pulaski
Mercer
Somerset
Rock
Garrad
Monticello
West jessamine
Mccreary
East jessamine
Burgin
Pulaski will be luck to make it out of the district! Brittany tries to do to much and Haley is to inconsistent to rely on. Plus they almost always choke! But Danville will be really good but if you shut down kasey young they are beatable.
12th Region girls basketball will be fun to watch this season. I am living in the 12th region again, so I will see more games again and will probably have a much easier time moderating this board.

Anyone know when the season starts so I can get a pre-season or a week 1 poll up?
LWC Wrote:12th Region girls basketball will be fun to watch this season. I am living in the 12th region again, so I will see more games again and will probably have a much easier time moderating this board.

Anyone know when the season starts so I can get a pre-season or a week 1 poll up?

First games are on November 26th.
SW may be young but that core group has played together more then some JR's/SR's in HS have. Most of them have played in big games since the 7th grade i believe and have developed great chemistry together.