Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Union College 7 on 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was held today, July 19th. This tourny was down from recent years as only 8 teams were there. South Laurel defeated a good Tennessee High team from Bristol Tenn. 48-42 to win it. Boyle Co. was also there and went 4-2. Losing to South Laurel and Tenn. High.
Sounds like South may be district favorite and possible region champs since everyone is supposed to be down.
West 80 Wrote:Sounds like South may be district favorite and possible region champs since everyone is supposed to be down.

I know nothing about South. They may win the state, but they don't play two hand touch on Friday night. 7 on 7 means nothing.
Can't tackle what you can't catch, heard South is super fast.
West 80 Wrote:Sounds like South may be district favorite and possible region champs since everyone is supposed to be down.

lol that might be the funniest thing ive ever seen on here.

South does have a decent passing attack due to their good qb, however, they have no running game and there defense may be the worst in the region.
Doesnt help to score if your giving up a TD everytime you have the ball.

I do however think South will make the playoffs as either the 3 or 4 seed behind Madison Southern and Pulaski Couty, which means they'll more than likely be headed to Harlan County or Whitley County in the first round of playoffs where it will abruptly end.
I saw south last year, they looked pretty good and have all skill back and the qb is a big runner.
Doesnt matter how many TD's you score if the other team scores everytime.
Must have a good defense, they beat Boyle on 7-7 and Boyle is supposed to be good this year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Doesnt matter how many TD's you score if the other team scores everytime.

Agree....South scored more points on us than anybody else last year(39)..but we hung 60 on them! The scoreboard operator better be ready on August 31st when the Cardinals come to RC! Although our defense should be better and better prepared this year!
West 80 Wrote:Must have a good defense, they beat Boyle on 7-7 and Boyle is supposed to be good this year.

How many times did Boyle run the ball in the 7 on 7 scrimmage?
The key to South's season will be how the defense can improve. One thing that will really stand out will be the speed on defense. As I have said before on here, if they can translate that speed into a solid defense then South can have a very good year and battle for a 1 seed in their district.
HDE Wrote:How many times did Boyle run the ball in the 7 on 7 scrimmage?

Everyone knows that Boyle is more of a running team, but they also mix in a very good passing game with that running attack. Watching them against South yesterday just seemed to be South was an overall faster team. Boyle was able to put up good points but could not stop South or Tennessee High. Tennessee High is a 5A school out of Bristol and was very fast also. Them and South put on an offensive show in the finals with South winning 48-42.
7 on 7 is not football im sorry to say.

The results of a 7 on 7 match are about as useful as tits on the football.
Boyle also plays zone defense and works on things that will help them win real games. Take away what you want from 7 on 7. It is a tool to help get better at certain things and not others. What a school gets out of it depends on whether they are worried about winning in July or winning in November.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:7 on 7 is not football im sorry to say.

I agree that 7 on 7 is not real football. It is a good tool to work on timing with QB's and receivers and try to work on some different defenses. It means nothing when the pads go on.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Boyle also plays zone defense and works on things that will help them win real games. Take away what you want from 7 on 7. It is a tool to help get better at certain things and not others. What a school gets out of it depends on whether they are worried about winning in July or winning in November.

I'm pretty sure every team there was trying to win, but I doubt any of them would be worried over a 7 on 7 loss in July. Looked as though every team was working a lot of kids. I know South was consistantly running 4-5 sophomores to be in and out. The semi game between Tenn High and Boyle was very physical and loud and went into 3 Ot's. I think it's safe to say that Boyle was doing everything they could to win that game.
I was not at the Union tourn. but also heard the tenn. game was a good one. I will let it be known that although it is a valuable tool and Boyle will try very hard to win every game, they do not live or die by 7 on 7's. They played pretty good at Union's tourn a couple of years ago and was in final game that was cancelled by heat. But then went to Campellsville U's tourn two days later and could not have done worse. Also went on the win 4A state crown that year. It is a very useful workout and great for your qb's timing. But it is only about 15 percent of a teams worth in my opinion.
Congrats to South and the Tenn. team for getting to the finals !!
By trying to win 7 on 7 I mean running 2 deep man under coverage which nobody uses in season. Throwing passes throught the line of scrimmage where 8 or 9 linemen would be standing. Being in empty 60% of the time.

I did not mean Boyle or someone similar wasn't trying to play hard to win.
Is south going to anymore pass games?
Iam4thecats Wrote:Boyle also plays zone defense and works on things that will help them win real games. Take away what you want from 7 on 7. It is a tool to help get better at certain things and not others. What a school gets out of it depends on whether they are worried about winning in July or winning in November.

Boyle came back at end of game and beat Pineville 24-21. Pineville was ahead till last play on 4th down. Pineville must be pretty good too.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:7 on 7 is not football im sorry to say.

I am a fan of 7 on 7's, but you have to keep it in perspective. To me it is like HORSE is to basketball. Some elements of the game are used but not all of them.