Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clemens still leaning towards retirement..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Roger Clemens made it to Opening Day -- as a spectator -- and the seven-time Cy Young Award winner said he still is leaning toward retirement.

"That's where I am right now," Clemens said Monday before watching the Texas Rangers play the Boston Red Sox. "Obviously, it's Opening Day and I'm about to put a golf visor on and I'm going to enjoy a ballgame."

Wearing jeans and gray cowboy boots, Clemens attended as a guest of Rangers owner Tom Hicks, a fellow University of Texas alumnus. The Longhorns' national football championship was honored at the game.

Before the start, the 43-year-old Rocket spoke with general manager Theo Epstein and other officials from the Red Sox, the team he started his career with. Clemens said they just told him the door was open if he wanted to return to Boston.

The Red Sox, Rangers, New York Yankees and Houston Astros -- the hometown team Clemens helped lead to their first World Series last season -- are all interested in signing Clemens if he decides to pitch this season.

"There's really nothing to talk about until Roger decides if he wants to play, and if so what team does he want to play for," said Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks. "All four teams have a keen interest. No question they want to sign Roger."

Houston can't re-sign Clemens before May 1. It seems unlikely that the Clemens would pitch for anybody before that time any way.

Clemens pitched last month for the United States in the World Baseball Classic.

"The process was long and hard on me," Clemens said. "When everybody was out having a good time, I'm running trying to get my body ready."

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels called last week to inquire if Clemens was ready to pitch now. Adam Eaton, the No. 2 starter in Texas behind Kevin Millwood, strained a tendon in the middle finger of his pitching hand and is out up to three months.

Hicks planned to talk to Clemens during the game.

"I'm going to tell him I think our fans would really embrace him, tell him that I think he could take us deep in the playoffs and maybe to our first World Series ... come June, July, whenever he's ready to pitch," Hicks said.

Clemens plans to be in Houston on Tuesday night when the Astros honor the last year's NL championship team.

Source: ESPN.com
It was rumored he may end up in Lexington for a few days since his son was signed to play minor league ball in the Houston organization. Whether or not he would pitch is another story.
Retire!
Ive got alot of respect for Roger Clemens but i think he has had his time and its time to hang it up.
I hope he doesn't retire, he's been my favorite pitcher for a long time now. I love how he gives his all every pitch, every game he throws.
CatDawg Wrote:Retire!
I agree.
I hope he sticks it out one more year, but it is for a selfish reason. He is on my fantasy team and I could use his stats.
I think that he will wait until late May or early June and sign with a team then retire at the end of the year
I was hoping he wouldn't retire too... he is great... They said on WKYT he would be at the Legends game on Thursday for opening day
retire
Roger needs to hang up the ole glove, his time has come and passed, he went out as a legend and will be voted in the first Hall of Fame ballot he is available for.