Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky sophomore already has 8 Division I offers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kentucky sophomore already has 8 Division I offers

There's a lot of buzz in Kentucky centering around a rising sophomore football player.

Damien Harris, a powerful 5-foot-10, 195-pound running back, had an excellent freshman year at Madison Southern (Berea, Ky.) and could be one of the Bluegrass state's all-time greats before he graduates. In his first varsity year he carried 62 times for 742 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Photo by Jon Clark
Damien Harris, Madison Southern
His performance was so good, in fact, that he already has Division I scholarship offers from eight colleges: Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio University, Fresno State, Wake Forest and Illinois.

Jody Demling of the Louisville Courier-Journal calls Harris "one of the best to come out of his freshman year in a long time. I saw him play basketball a couple weeks ago and he looked like a senior or college player. Bob White (long-time prep writer, now retired) said it's been awhile since anyone got this kind of attention (so soon)."

Coach Jon Clark told MaxPreps, "He had a great experience at the Michigan camp. There were 1,200 kids there. He is as imposing physically as anyone there. He is built like a sophomore in college as far as a running back.No question he is uniquely built and gifted for his age. After the camp, Michigan offered him."

Harris, who runs 40 yards in 4.42 seconds, has such a mature physical presence that he arguably could be compared to a young LeBron James.

Clark stressed that his young protege brings the whole package.

He calls him "an outstanding young man. He's very coachable. He's an A and B student. The thing that stands out the most is his contagious personality."
I've not seen the kid play but he gained all his yards against 1a Lynn camp, 3 win Pulaski, 4 win Lincoln and Wayne County which was the most impressive but they are still 3A to. Bourbon co only got 40 yards to.

-8 yards rushing at Southwestern
That's a key stat.

I look forward to seeing hi play and wish him luck I'd actually love to see him on our turf in the playoffs next season. I just think this will be a bunch of pressure on such a young guy.

Good luck.
We'll see how this season goes for him. I didn't know he was that good. But like you said, I saw him play against Southwestern.
If Damien went to a camp held at Michigan and came out with a scholarship offer then he must be the "real deal". Who cares how many yards the kid had against certain teams. I can't name many freshman with D1 scholarship offers in fact I can't think of any off the top of my head. Congrats Damien and good luck this upcoming year.
Cat Daddy Wrote:If Damien went to a camp held at Michigan and came out with a scholarship offer then he must be the "real deal". Who cares how many yards the kid had against certain teams. I can't name many freshman with D1 scholarship offers in fact I can't think of any off the top of my head. Congrats Damien and good luck this upcoming year.

Obviously it doesn't matter who he got the yards against because he did not het that many yards period. Judging by the article because he is a physical specimen. I was just merely stating an observation. Thanks
NCAA rules say "The first thing you will have to know about hearing from coaches is that they can not contact you personally until your junior year, as NCAA recruiting rules restrict any written correspondence between coaches and athletes before their junior year...On September 1st of your junior year college coaches can begin to send you written correspondence regarding recruiting."

I don't know anything about this young man nor do I want to take anything away from him. But there are a few big names on that list and would be major violations.
They can contact your coaches, parents....etc. A soph. prospect can call them, but it's illegal for a coach to call them. You can be on on their campus and talk to them, but they couldn't be at your school and talk to you until you're a Jr. Southern Cal had a C/O of 2015 commit in the 7th grade. There are strings you just gotta know how to pull them...
Sounds like a big time prospect.
Hopefully he is the type of runner that avoids hits as much as possible and delivers them when he has to. We had a player on our team who started as a freshman and his best years were his sophomore and junior years, he was pretty beat up by his senior year and this kid was a beast. The body can only take so much pounding...he played fullback and he didn't run a 4.42 in the 40 yard dash.
This young man sounds pretty special with his size and speed, keep working hard and don't take anything for granted, best of luck!!!
08uk Wrote:NCAA rules say "The first thing you will have to know about hearing from coaches is that they can not contact you personally until your junior year, as NCAA recruiting rules restrict any written correspondence between coaches and athletes before their junior year...On September 1st of your junior year college coaches can begin to send you written correspondence regarding recruiting."

I don't know anything about this young man nor do I want to take anything away from him. But there are a few big names on that list and would be major violations.

So should we start reporting the violations to the NCAA, thanks for the rules clarification
Haha... There have been zero NCAA violations. Do you people think Michigan and every other school who has offered the kid would do it so openly if it was NCAA violations. Geez people jealousy is such a bad thing. I've seen the kid play, as he is in our district. Kid is the deal, he got hurt against Sw on the very play he lost 8 yards. All that being said, look forward to seeing him play this year.
i believe he has a match up with the Hopkins boy this week right? This may be a good game to watch!
Well, if he is as good as they say he is, I really hope that he decides to stay at home and go to Kentucky!
Unfortunately for many of the state's best players in recent years, the opportunity to play at Kentucky has not appeared to have been a persuasive motivator in their college choice.

Or maybe it was.
Those camps are great tools for a young player looking to get a offer.
Didnt see Harris in the scrimmage last week thought I saw him on side line is he gonna play this week against Bourbon County I'd love to see him and the Hopkins kid go at it should be interesting game...