Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Help or Hurt?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently there are kids that are joining the National Guard and going to Army basic training over the summer between thier junior and senior seasons. I know the Army basic training will make men out of them but will it help or hurt them when they return to thier teams just before the start of the season after missing summer practice? Your opinions please.
If that is going to be their career, football should definitely take a backseat. It is only a game, and your career is your life.

Now, if I have misunderstood the Original post, I am sorry lol.
Panther Thunder Wrote:If that is going to be their career, football should definitely take a backseat. It is only a game, and your career is your life.

Now, if I have misunderstood the Original post, I am sorry lol.

No,I think you're right,it's thier career. I may have not made it clear in the post but i'm just wondering will it help these kids and thier teams going into the season or will it hurt because they've missed summer practice and alot of instruction. When they graduate they will embark on thier career. These kids could have waited and joined up after graduation. How's the team and thier senior season affected? Just curious.
I seen in the paper a couple of years ago about a kid at Lynn Camp doing this.
I may be wrong but i think he ended up missing like the first four or five games because of it.
^ That's a good point. Will these young men be back by the end of dead-period? If not, I think it starts getting to the point where they are missing a lot of football to be truly effective at the beginning of the football season. I was taking your question to mean that they did it as a means of getting in shape. If that's the case, then it sounded like they didn't have the discipline to get in shape at home and took the means to "force" them into shape. Not saying that is bad either.
Physically? Yes it greatly helps.

Football IQ and knowing the playbook? No. It hurts.

IF the military is their career of choice post high-school, I say go for it. Football is not a career for 95%+ of all high school football players.
Stardust Wrote:^ That's a good point. Will these young men be back by the end of dead-period? If not, I think it starts getting to the point where they are missing a lot of football to be truly effective at the beginning of the football season. I was taking your question to mean that they did it as a means of getting in shape. If that's the case, then it sounded like they didn't have the discipline to get in shape at home and took the means to "force" them into shape. Not saying that is bad either.

The getting into shape thing isn't the concern with this kid that goes to Harlan. It was his attitude and grades that made his dad send him in the direction of the military. And the sooner the better. The kid was blowing off his future with an "I don't care" attitude. Really,he is a good ball player and really started coming on strong at the end of the season last year but ended up missing the last game against Williamsburg because he was failing almost all of his classes. Whats crazy is the kid is in the gifted and talented program at Harlan. So,His dad figured the military was the best course to take before things really got out of hand with his behavior. I agree with his father on this. Hopefully he comes back a new kid. His future depend on it.He's a good kid,just needs some hardcore guideance.He's a D-end and Harlan really needs the kind of pressure he can bring on a QB off the edges.
A'ha, you hit on something that makes all the sense in the world. This is not about helping / hurting his football, this is about forcing maturity on the young man that he wasn't getting from football anyhow.
Stardust Wrote:A'ha, you hit on something that makes all the sense in the world. This is not about helping / hurting his football, this is about forcing maturity on the young man that he wasn't getting from football anyhow.

You're right,it's about his maturity. what I want to know is will what he is getting from the Army help him and his team come time for the season. I think the positives far out weigh the negatives in this issue and both player and team are better off in the long run. The team should have a solid player both mentally and physically.
Practising can sometimes hurt ofcourse, but can it be stopped.
Kids got their whole lives to start a career. MOST only have a few years to play organized football. IMO it's a mistake and recruiters shouldn't encourage it.
Shahbaj Wrote:Practising can sometimes hurt ofcourse, but can it be stopped.

Hunh???:please:
I went this route many years ago and it did not hurt my Senior year of football. I went to basic right after school ended. Keep in mind it is only for those entering the National Guard or Reserves - not the regular Army so we really aren't talking about a full time career. I was gone Jun and July and missed only the first week or so of 2 a days. Here is a few thoughts on the pros and cons of this Split Option program:

Pros

1. It gets a kid in the guard a year sooner than waiting to graduate. This means he gets paid, gets trained, and gets college benefits all lined up.
2. If he decides to go regular Army, programs exist to transition him right after high school graduation.
3. If he does ROTC in college - he can make more money and has great experience.

Cons:

1. Big guys will lose weight and in some cases alot of strength. There are not weight training days in Basic Training. The running and sleep deprivation will drain a big guy of strength. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months and came home faster but not as strong with no time to bulk back up.

2. If timing is off, you could miss a game or two. You need to go early in June or late May. If you "recycle" for any reason (fail physical fitness test, medical reasons, common skills test failure, etc) you will miss games.

3. Missing summer lifting and time to train with your team could hurt the Senior year depending on the athlete.

The only place where I would discourage this program is for a guy who is looking to go play college football. That summer between JR an SR is a key time to go to school camps for most guys looking for a an opportunity to play at the next level. Outside of that, it is a great move for any young person who has the intestinal fortitude to serve our country in this manner.
Football1 Wrote:I went this route many years ago and it did not hurt my Senior year of football. I went to basic right after school ended. Keep in mind it is only for those entering the National Guard or Reserves - not the regular Army so we really aren't talking about a full time career. I was gone Jun and July and missed only the first week or so of 2 a days. Here is a few thoughts on the pros and cons of this Split Option program:

Pros

1. It gets a kid in the guard a year sooner than waiting to graduate. This means he gets paid, gets trained, and gets college benefits all lined up.
2. If he decides to go regular Army, programs exist to transition him right after high school graduation.
3. If he does ROTC in college - he can make more money and has great experience.

Cons:

1. Big guys will lose weight and in some cases alot of strength. There are not weight training days in Basic Training. The running and sleep deprivation will drain a big guy of strength. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months and came home faster but not as strong with no time to bulk back up.

2. If timing is off, you could miss a game or two. You need to go early in June or late May. If you "recycle" for any reason (fail physical fitness test, medical reasons, common skills test failure, etc) you will miss games.

3. Missing summer lifting and time to train with your team could hurt the Senior year depending on the athlete.

The only place where I would discourage this program is for a guy who is looking to go play college football. That summer between JR an SR is a key time to go to school camps for most guys looking for a an opportunity to play at the next level. Outside of that, it is a great move for any young person who has the intestinal fortitude to serve our country in this manner.

Great answer Football 1. The kid that plays for Harlan is pretty knowledgable of the game and his position and should pick up any tweeks quickly. I also think that he will have a hieghtened sense of pride about himself and his attitude and behavior should turn around for the better. At least we all hope cause he could be a great asset to the team and defense.
If a kid has a poor attitude, he probably doesn't get much out of conditioning or practicing anyhow. Learning pride and responsibility can only make you a better athlete and human being, and the results will show through, whether it's in the classroom (which should be the number one priority regardless) or the athletic field. If a kid's failing out of his classes in high school, the LAST thing anyone should worry about is whether missing practice will hurt the football team.
Backwoods Wrote:Great answer Football 1. The kid that plays for Harlan is pretty knowledgable of the game and his position and should pick up any tweeks quickly. I also think that he will have a hieghtened sense of pride about himself and his attitude and behavior should turn around for the better. At least we all hope cause he could be a great asset to the team and defense.
Best wishes to the young man. I think this will help him in all sorts of ways.
Shahbaj Wrote:Practising can sometimes hurt ofcourse, but can it be stopped.
Ya! I know what you mean man! Confusednicker:
Is it fair to those who have been at practice to just let a kid come in and play who missed all summer, when they didn't. You can go play army when football is over.
West 80 Wrote:Is it fair to those who have been at practice to just let a kid come in and play who missed all summer, when they didn't. You can go play army when football is over.
I'm sure he'll have to prove himself when he gets there. As good of an athlete as he is and as good of shape as he'll be in it shouldn't take him long. Also,I dare say that he's been playing anything in basic training. I don't think the football team will be taking any 15 mile marches in full gear at any point.
I just got out of the Army in March, after 4 years. First off, the National Guard is NOT a career. They go to "drill" one weekend a month, and train for a total of two weeks a year. And usually deploy to whatever war we're in at the time on a 3 to 5 year rotation (it's 5 these days, I think), which means they deploy every 3-5 years.

Army Basic Training and AIT (Advanced Individual Training, or their job school), and OSUT (One Station Unit Training, basic and AIT put together and varies from 15 to 18 weeks compared to the normal 9 week Basic Training) for combat jobs like Infantry, Cavalry, Armor, ect will make these boys men to a certain extent. I believe that a combat deployment, a "real" one with an emphasis on combat, is what really makes a man out of someone, but regardless, these boys will come back to their teams faster, stronger, more mature, and better than most of their teammates.

Alot of military strategy can apply to football too. What is drilled into us from the day we get to training...honor, integrity, pride, being willing to die for your buddies, teamwork, and the ability to accomplish ANYTHING will do nothing to help these boys on the field and that killer attitude will likely spread to their teammates.

On another note, the Army started this program (letting high school kids attend basic training between their Junior and Senior years) in summer/fall 2008, which happened to be when I was in the middle of hell in Cavalry Scout OSUT. We gave those boys absolute hell, screwed with them whenever we could, hahahaha. Made them harder and tougher. Those were the good ole days, when I was still just an innocent kid...hah, I miss it.

But anyway, this will do nothing but HELP these boys in my experienced opinion on the matter.
West 80 Wrote:Is it fair to those who have been at practice to just let a kid come in and play who missed all summer, when they didn't. You can go play army when football is over.

"Play Army" huh? Those boys are training and preparing to defend your damn right to talk that shit on the internet. The Army is real life, unlike high school people, where people get shot at and blown up and die. I don't see that shit happening in high school football. You can go play football when defending the damn country is over.

Get some damn respect, idiot.
Great posts Vundy 33. You have to have respect for any 17 year old or anyone else who has the fortitude to sign up and defend his country.