Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2012 Kentucky All State Baseball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Mr. Baseball - Ryne Combs - Bryan Sation

Coach of the Year - Jeff Parrett - Woodford County

1st Team All State
Dylan Dwyer - Calloway County
Blaine Alvey - Union County
Tyler Robertson - Russell County
Drew Harrington - Central Hardin
Hunter Johnson - PRP
Jonah Philley - Eastern
Will Smith - KCD
Trey Simpson - Male
Jordan Simons - South Oldham
Chase Mullins - Bourbon County
Ryne Combs - Bryan Station
Michael Bollmer - Bryan Station
Walker Buehler - Henry Clay
Will Hurt - Lexington Catholic
Tyler Jackson - Lexington Catholic
Anderson Miller - Lafayette
Storm Wilson - Somerset
Zach Storm - North Laurel

Rob Candill - Danville

2nd Team All State
Sam Higgs - Henderson County
Dalton West - Apollo
Bo Wilson Meade County
Josh Bartley - South Warren
Jackson Sowell - Bowling Green
Michael Davis - Eastern
Blake Oyler - Male
Doug Teegarden - Boone County
Jake Lankheit - Covington Catholic
Jordan Martin - Harrison County
Trey Gross - Madison Central
Zach Haynes - Lexington Catholic
Zach Arnold - Franklin County
David Hayes - Powell County
Tyler Williams - Belfry

Connor Robinson - East Carter
Sam Hunter - Ashland
Trey Salisbury - Boyd County

Honorable Mention All State

Region 12
Logan Starnes - Southwestern

Region 13
Trace Vorbeck - Corbin
Marcus Carson - North Laurel
Trent Abner - South Laurel

Region 14
Alex Hamilton - Breathitt County
Eric Hubbard - Leslie County
Austin Johnson - Hazard
Matt Pelfrey - Powell County

Region 15
Gavin Miller - Pikeville
Logan Simpkins - Johnson Central

http://www.wymt.com/
Congrats David Hayes!!! That's a big deal. The program at Powell has proven to be a regional power and they will soon be contenders on the state level if they keep things going like they are. Congrats again to David and also to Coach Varney, and the assistants he has as well. They have done a great job changing expectations and it definitely shows. This is great recognition for Powell as well as the region.
Interesting if this is correct then where is Woodford County represented. State Champs from the 11th Region and no representatives other than the coach. WOW

Clint Hollon is the Number 1 righthander in the nation and he is not on here and 8 players, if I count them right from his region, are there. It is as I have always said a mockery to even put an all state team together if he is not included. At the State tourney he pitched 15 innings, allowed 0 runs, 11 hits, 1WALK, and 25 K's. Logan Parret pitched 12, allowed 6 hits, 3 runs, 4 walks and 13 K's. And the coach is the only one who gets the State accolades, WOW.

Just like the East West games this is a joke.
Congrats to Storm Wilson for being named First-Team All-State, and Logan Starnes for being named an Honorable Mention!
Commanche Wrote:Interesting if this is correct then where is Woodford County represented. State Champs from the 11th Region and no representatives other than the coach. WOW

Clint Hollon is the Number 1 righthander in the nation and he is not on here and 8 players, if I count them right from his region, are there. It is as I have always said a mockery to even put an all state team together if he is not included. At the State tourney he pitched 15 innings, allowed 0 runs, 11 hits, 1WALK, and 25 K's. Logan Parret pitched 12, allowed 6 hits, 3 runs, 4 walks and 13 K's. And the coach is the only one who gets the State accolades, WOW.

I don't know about the rest of the team, but I'm pretty sure it would have helped Hollen, if he played the entire season.
Commanche Wrote:Interesting if this is correct then where is Woodford County represented. State Champs from the 11th Region and no representatives other than the coach. WOW

Hollon was the number 1 pitcher in the class of 2013 preseason, but he only played the last 3 weeks of the reg. season, (Lack of grades)and 1 of those weeks he was suspended from the team. If he played more he should be considered, but not as little as he did. As far as Parret, he was a good pitcher and player, but he was a Jr. and may not have been in the top ten of 11th region pitchers. Who else from that team would you include? Then who would you remove?
Whether or not he played entire season isnt affecting him in National rankings. Either way he dominated and clearly is probably the top prospect in KY. If there are any standards for acceptance to the All State team I am not aware of them. There is no title for Woodford if he doesnt pitch for them. Also it is kinda funny he got his grades in order prior to tournaments. Dont know any details only he clearly is a stud on the diamond. If you look at it 14 players from Lex and Lou made up the two squads. This is clear indication that it is a popularity contest for kids who get the exposure from living in those areas. I dont follow the 11th that close to know who should be left off the team, however if Hollon is not All State there is not a true all state listing.

As for Parrett, I only know what he did at state which was pretty amazing.

As for those locations having the majority of all staters, my opinion is that is total BS. Kids can play this game all over the state they just dont get the exposure.
I'm not saying Hollon isn't a very very good pitcher,(if you think he looked good in state, you should have seen him last summer and fall)he just didn't play enough this spring to qualify for allstate, in my opinion and others.
Parret had a good state, thats why he made all tourney team, but that doesn't make him one of the best players in the state this year.
I hope you don't think those were the best teams in the state, they were just the onces that made to the state tourney.
As far as to many kids from Louisville and Lexington, 1st are they not the two largest cities in the state? Doesn't it make since that they would have the most kids on the list? 2nd, what where the two toughest regions in the state? The 11th and the 7th? Lexington area and Louisville.
Going back to the kids who where left off, I'm sure some where, but most of the kids on the allstate teams are playing college baseball or higher next year. I would think the college coaches know a little about talent.
I will agree that some mistakes where made on this allstate team, but it is not BS.
They were the two best teams when it mattered. So you take those two regions from the sixteen and give 1/2 the roster to them. 12.5% of the players account for 50% of the team. It is BS and if you look at D1 signees on the coaches website they are not all from Louisville or Lexington.

The bias is as your bias, the only players that can play are from the big L's.

We don't have to agree on the issue, but you are clearly from the 11 th and I am from the 15th. If you lived in our area you might agree with me!
^I agree!
From the Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association website.....

All State Team

*1st and 2nd Team All State will have 18 players selected based on voting of the All State committee. The remaining players nominated will be honorable mention. Schools have to be members of the KHSBCA in order for players to be considered.

*Regional Reps should submit the following information after their regional meeting and before June 1 with stats and information for players.

1. The regions top three players (any class) for all state consideration.
2. The regions top player for "Player of the Year"
3. A regional "Coach of the Year"
4. A regional "Assistant Coach of the Year"

*Any Division I baseball signee (player receives baseball scholarship money) or if a player is drafted, they are automatically included in the three names to be submitted. In the event there are more than three D1 players, all names will be submitted. If a region has at least three D1 signees and would like to select another player or an underclassmen to represent their region, one additional player may or may not be selected.

*The All State Chairman may choose additional players statewide to vote on that were not included from the regional reps if they feel someone else should be nominated that was left out.

-VOTING PROCEDURES-

*The All State committee will vote on the selections. Each coach on the committee will choose 18 players for the first team and 18 for the second team. The players selected on the first team will receive 20 points and the second team will receive 10 points. All points will be totaled and the top 18 will be on the first team with the next 18 on the second team. All other remaining players will be honorable mention.

*Mr. Baseball : This award will be selected from the all state committee as they will take the top five vote recipients and vote for Mr. Baseball. It will be announced after the state tournament and will be awarded at the East/West All Star Game.
Commanche Wrote:They were the two best teams when it mattered. So you take those two regions from the sixteen and give 1/2 the roster to them. 12.5% of the players account for 50% of the team. It is BS and if you look at D1 signees on the coaches website they are not all from Louisville or Lexington.

We don't have to agree on the issue, but you are clearly from the 11 th and I am from the 15th. If you lived in our area you might agree with me!

Bro, it's OK. Nothing to whine about. The ultimate slap on the face to the voters..... Just show them WC state title and championship ring that they earn. That is the most important thing to any player(s) more than being on a list of all- staters. It's going to be alright brother. :Thumbs:
Commanche Wrote:They were the two best teams when it mattered. So you take those two regions from the sixteen and give 1/2 the roster to them. 12.5% of the players account for 50% of the team. It is BS and if you look at D1 signees on the coaches website they are not all from Louisville or Lexington.

Do you think that each of the 16 regions should have the same amount of players elected or just who are best players?
Who would you add and why?
REW2 Wrote:Do you think that each of the 16 regions should have the same amount of players elected or just who are best players?
Who would you add and why?

I don't see what the big deal is from commanche. The ultimate goal of a team is to win the ultimate prize. Win it all and who cares about individual accomplishment as long as you win it all as a team.
I just think he is upset that the 15th doesn't have more players representing them and the 11th and 7th have so many. He doesn't seem to understand how strong the 11th and 7th was this year.
FBfan4life Wrote:Bro, it's OK. Nothing to whine about. The ultimate slap on the face to the voters..... Just show them WC state title and championship ring that they earn. That is the most important thing to any player(s) more than being on a list of all- staters. It's going to be alright brother. :Thumbs:

Dude, I am not even from or even close to Woodford. Just stating the facts. Dont even have a child playing anymore, just stating the obvious.

But that is good advice for Woodford County Baseball players.
REW2 Wrote:I just think he is upset that the 15th doesn't have more players representing them and the 11th and 7th have so many. He doesn't seem to understand how strong the 11th and 7th was this year.

FBfan4life Wrote:I don't see what the big deal is from commanche. The ultimate goal of a team is to win the ultimate prize. Win it all and who cares about individual accomplishment as long as you win it all as a team.

No big deal but you both appear to be homies. Did you read the procedure above. Wonder where the Chairperson was from? If I read this correctly, he is the only one who can add more than a 4 player from each region. I wonder how many games he actually saw outside of those regions? None I would bet.

Not taking anything away from this other than with out Hollon, then this blows the credibility of the whole process.

Yes I looked the 11th had 8 D1 signees and added 8 others. The 7th show 2 D1 signees and added 11 others. This is proof in what I say, no other region was given this consideration.

I could care less but these are akin to little league all star ballots, and if you are too uneducated or hard headed to believe this, then there isnt a thing I can do to help you. Keep dreaming baby!

Bet you are Obama fans as well! LMAOConfusednicker:
REW2 Wrote:I just think he is upset that the 15th doesn't have more players representing them and the 11th and 7th have so many. He doesn't seem to understand how strong the 11th and 7th was this year.

I think what he is saying that when you get away from the media centers of Lexington and Louisville that very few teams/players from any team get their just adew. I think he knows very well what the 15th region has. I also think he knows that a #5 ranked Bryan Station came to the 15th region once this year and went back with an L, being beat by a freshman against Bryan Station's D1 Morehead signee. According to the way the 11th region is hyped up, a loss to a 15th region team with a freshman on the mound against a team loaded with D1 signee's should never happen. Yet, not a word was mentioned about that game by the media and the state ranking didn't reflect that that game was ever even played. Business as usual the next day.
Never hear those things when they happen. Just a fluke, I guess.
Congratulations to Tyler Williams. Counting honorable mention in basketball, Belfry had at least one all-state representative in all 3 major sports! Awesome job. Congrats to all the mountain kids who made it, as well.
Commanche
Are you trying to compare the 15th with the 11th, that was one game, (the 5th of the week for BS) And by the way BS only has 3 D1 kids, 2 of those kids were hurt for most of the year. But if you want to compare, lets.
How many teams rated in the top 25, 15th? 0
Top 25 teams for the 11th. 8
How many quality wins for the 15th? 1?
Lexington Catholic alone? St X, NCC, Mercer Co,Central Hardin,(those are the state tourney teams), Cinc Elder,Trinity,Eastern, IMG Academy, FL.
** I know you will say the top 25 doesn't count because it is biased to LEX and LOU, but if your teams don't play any quality competion, how can the coaches from outside your area rate them.***
State titles won by 15th? 0
State titles won by the 11th? 2, Overall state: Woodford Co. All A: Lexington Christian(LCA finished the regular season and disrict tourney in 5th place in the 43rd district, last place). Didn't some of the better teams from the 15th compete in that tourney?
How many players from the 15th are playeing college or pro ball next year?
It looks to me like they don't compare.
Now its your turn. But please stay away from your tactic of name calling, just the facts.
REW2 Wrote:Commanche
Are you trying to compare the 15th with the 11th, that was one game, (the 5th of the week for BS) And by the way BS only has 3 D1 kids, 2 of those kids were hurt for most of the year. But if you want to compare, lets.
How many teams rated in the top 25, 15th? 0
Top 25 teams for the 11th. 8
How many quality wins for the 15th? 1?
Lexington Catholic alone? St X, NCC, Mercer Co,Central Hardin,(those are the state tourney teams), Cinc Elder,Trinity,Eastern, IMG Academy, FL.
** I know you will say the top 25 doesn't count because it is biased to LEX and LOU, but if your teams don't play any quality competion, how can the coaches from outside your area rate them.***
State titles won by 15th? 0
State titles won by the 11th? 2, Overall state: Woodford Co. All A: Lexington Christian(LCA finished the regular season and disrict tourney in 5th place in the 43rd district, last place). Didn't some of the better teams from the 15th compete in that tourney?
How many players from the 15th are playeing college or pro ball next year?
It looks to me like they don't compare.
Now its your turn. But please stay away from your tactic of name calling, just the facts.

Hmmm........I suspected you were a BS fan. Wonder how I could tell?

In the game that is being referred to it was also Johnson Centrals 5th game of the week. So I dont know what you're point is on that,. D1 signee (Chris LaPorte ---Morehead State) pitched for BS and JC pitched a freshman whom had never started a varsity game until that one and gave up a grand total of 1 earned run. And yes, Mr Baseball (Ryne Combs) and Louisville signee (Michael Bollmer) both started and played the entire game for BS. All of you're studs played, so lets not get into the our guy were hurt stuff......That's one third of your starting lineup as being D1 signees. Name another school that has (only) 33% of their starting lineup signing D1 scholarships......................... Sounds an awful lot like excuse making to me.

There's a few facts to ponder on, and guess what, no tactics there either..
Bob Seger Wrote:Hmmm........I suspected you were a BS fan.

In the game that is being referred to it was also Johnson Centrals 5th game of the week. So I dont know what you're point is on that,. D1 signee (Chris LaPorte ---Morehead State) pitched for BS and JC pitched a freshman whom had never started a varsity game until that one and gave up a grand total of 1 earned run. And yes, Mr Baseball (Ryne Combs) and Louisville signee (Michael Bollmer) both started and played the entire game for BS. All of you're studs played, so lets not get into the our guy were hurt stuff......That's one third of your starting lineup as being D1 signees. Name another school that has (only) 33% of their starting lineup signing D1 scholarships. Sounds an awful lot like excuse making to me.

There's you a few facts to ponder on, and guess what, no tactics there either..

By the way I'm not a BS fan, I think they were maybe the 5th best team in the region, they just happened to have the best player in the state, Combs. I was not there and didn't hear anything about the game, If the team from the 15th beat Laporte, thats a good win(if you check my post I already gave that 1 good win).
Do you have anything else? Any more quality wins? How about kids playing college baseball next year??? Any thing?
If you don't play the better teams in the state you are not going to get any recognition. Instead of crying about not getting respect, complain to your coaches about the weak schedules, and if you did play anyone who where they?
Bob
Its not a big deal in the 11th to face a team with 3 D1 committments, you may not be use to it, but we see it all the time.
REW2 Wrote:By the way I'm not a BS fan, I think they were maybe the 5th best team in the region, they just happened to have the best player in the state, Combs. I was not there and didn't hear anything about the game, If the team from the 15th beat Laporte, thats a good win(if you check my post I already gave that 1 good win).
Do you have anything else? Any more quality wins? How about kids playing college baseball next year??? Any thing?
If you don't play the better teams in the state you are not going to get any recognition. Instead of crying about not getting respect, complain to your coaches about the weak schedules, and if you did play anyone who where they?
If you didn't know anything about the game, are not a fan, how did you know it was their 5th game of the week and all of the other crap? You're not really very transparent, but you sure have your own private little level of arrogance down there in the land of milk and honey.

First off junior, I aint crying over anything. Yes we also beat Ballard and North Laural as well, as far as ranked teams this year. We only had 3 seniors this year and 2 of the 3 have signed to play college ball. As far as scheduling if you wanted to take the time to check the KHSAA schedule for the last several years, you will find out that year in and year out we play the most aggressive schedule in the mountains. However what you wont see is the games that were scheduled but were rained out this year. Those being Harrison Co, Danville, and Grayson Co., right off the top of my head, on top of the others we did play. And by the way, tomorrow we head out to play St. X, PRP, Butler, and Hamilton Ohio @ St. X in the National Tournament. So you aint telling me nothin. I'm also going to tell you that geographics dont play a big a part in what your rambling on about when it comes to talent as much as you think it does. Just this year, a grad of JC and high school teammate of my oldest two sons was this years 2012 OVC Player of the Year, and his teammate, another Paintsville product, was on the All OVC second team. I promise you I aint no rookie, bub. Had two sons play college ball, one was recruited by Cohen to play at UK, in the same class along with one of your 11th region boys (Chas Roe), (and beat Chas Roe in a high school head to head matchup), was on the all state team, and another that signed with this years defending DIII National Champions as well as being the National Champs in 3 out of the past 5 years. My resume and knowledge of how the sytems work is probably a tad better than yours to begin with. I can also tell you that Commanche has had two sons play college ball (D1), and a third was offered as well. Not meaning to be rude here, but I'll just be blunt. You can dispense with the know it all crap, because you dont.
REW2 Wrote:Bob
Its not a big deal in the 11th to face a team with 3 D1 committments, you may not be use to it, but we see it all the time.

What Commache is trying to say is maybe they are, but there is a definate bias towards Lex/Louis players to rate to them as being D1. The great Jay Sorg was infamous for only preferring players who hailed from those towns that begin with an L. Worked out real great for him, didn't it? You may not be used to hearing that, but it's also seen all the time. Again your not dealing with a couple of never been there befores here. lol
Bob Seger Wrote:If you didn't know anything about the game, are not a fan, how did you know it was their 5th game of the week and all of the other crap? You're not really very transparent, but you sure have your own private little level of arrogance down there in the land of milk and honey.

First off junior, I aint crying over anything. Yes we also beat Ballard and North Laural as well, as far as ranked teams this year. We only had 3 seniors this year and 2 of the 3 have signed to play college ball. As far as scheduling if you wanted to take the time to check the KHSAA schedule for the last several years, you will find out that year in and year out we play the most aggressive schedule in the mountains. However what you wont see is the games that were scheduled but were rained out this year. Those being Harrison Co, Danville, and Grayson Co., right off the top of my head, on top of the others we did play. And by the way, tomorrow we head out to play St. X, PRP, Butler, and Hamilton Ohio @ St. X in the National Tournament. So you aint telling me nothin. I'm also going to tell you that geographics dont play a big a part in what your rambling on about when it comes to talent as much as you think it does. Just this year, a grad of JC and high school teammate of my oldest two sons was this years 2012 OVC Player of the Year, and his teammate, another Paintsville product, was on the All OVC second team. I promise you I aint no rookie, bub. Had two sons play college ball, one was recruited by Cohen to play at UK, in the same class along with one of your 11th region boys (Chas Roe), (and beat Chas Roe in a high school head to head matchup), was on the all state team, and another that signed with this years defending DIII National Champions as well as being the National Champs in 3 out of the past 5 years. My resume and knowledge of how the sytems work is probably a tad better than yours to begin with. I can also tell you that Commanche has had two sons play college ball (D1), and a third was offered as well. Not meaning to be rude here, but I'll just be blunt. You can dispense with the know it all crap, because you dont.

Forget it Segar, these guys know it all,prolly Obama backers! Probably didnt see the field either in there days. Bryan Station has been the doormat of Lex for a few years and a little success has gone to there head. Oh yeah Woodford clubbed them in the region finals!
I think you'll find that the two fans you are debating with are two of the more knowledgeable minds that you'll come across in the area. They know just as well as the folks from Central KY that from top to bottom the 11th Region is by far more talented than the 15th is from top to bottom. No comparison at all. Where the problem comes into play is that there is absolutely zero respect shown by people in Lexington to the quality of baseball played down in this part of the state. If you take the serious baseball and tradition rich programs from the 15th (Johnson Central, Paintsville, Pikeville, and most recently Lawrence County) and put them up against the quality teams of Lexington, and you'll find that they will do more than hold their own. The lack of media coverage in this part of the state compared to the 11th plays a big part in the lack of respect given to teams from our region.
Pupaw Wrote:I think you'll find that the two fans you are debating with are two of the more knowledgeable minds that you'll come across in the area. They know just as well as the folks from Central KY that from top to bottom the 11th Region is by far more talented than the 15th is from top to bottom. No comparison at all. Where the problem comes into play is that there is absolutely zero respect shown by people in Lexington to the quality of baseball played down in this part of the state. If you take the serious baseball and tradition rich programs from the 15th (Johnson Central, Paintsville, Pikeville, and most recently Lawrence County) and put them up against the quality teams of Lexington, and you'll find that they will do more than hold their own. The lack of media coverage in this part of the state compared to the 11th plays a big part in the lack of respect given to teams from our region.

Thanks for the input Papaw. Very well said. And by the way, you are a perfect example to the quality of players that have come from out of this area. You were right there with, and outshown many of the "L" pedigreed players back in the day....lol
Pupaw summed up my sentiments exactly! You are right he more than held his own! Great young man!
Pages: 1 2 3