Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes basketball player Tamra Holder has a message for young asthma sufferer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Holmes basketball player Tamra Holder has a message for young asthma sufferers who may doubt their athletic potential while dealing with a condition that causes the airways of the lungs to swell, leading to shortness of breath and coughing.

“I say you can deal with it, because I can,” said Holder. “You can always push yourself and do what you want to do.”

Holder plays year-around basketball and knows to keep her inhaler nearby. She didn’t ask for it once on Saturday while helping lead the East to a 70-61 victory over the West at the Northern Kentucky Girls Basketball Coaches Association Junior All-Star Game in Ludlow.

Holder, who developed asthma at age 7, scored 18 points and was named East most valuable player. Boone County’s Jessica Jones led the East with 19 points. DeAsia Beal of Holy Cross scored a game-high 21 and was named West MVP and teammate Jennifer Sexton of Bellevue finished with 18.

In the NKGBCA all-star game for seniors, Boone County’s Lydia Nash (22 points) and Zuri Hill (11 points) propelled the East to a 44-38 win. Nash, heading to Union College in Barbourville, was named East MVP. St. Henry’s Annie Fugate (11 points) was West MVP. Conner’s Dawn Peacock led the West with 12.

While the junior all-stars played, East co-coach Scott Calcaterra of Holmes asked Holder twice if she needed her inhaler when he thought she looked fatigued. She declined it then scored a basket both times.

“When I’m having trouble breathing, I throw water on my face because I don’t like using the inhaler,” Holder said. “I know I need it, but it’s weird. I try to go as long as I can with out it and I did without it today.”

Holder doesn’t like to show weakness on the court and said the key to performance is her conditioning program, which includes daily jogging, aerobics and participation in as many open gyms as possible.

“Just because you take an inhaler, doesn’t mean you can’t do it,” she said.

Holder helped lead Holmes to the Ninth Region tournament.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...306080143/