Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Woodford County 4 - Henderson County 0 (KHSAA State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Congrats Woodford.
Is this their first championship?
I believe so
Great job by Woodford County!
Congrats to Woodford County!
Congrats to Woodford County on the state title!
Play hard. Have fun. Take care of one another.

Woodford County's baseball team lived by Coach Jeff Parrett's words throughout the season and gave them magical meaning by winning the state championship Saturday night.

Led by the stellar pitching of Logan Parrett, flawless defense and clutch hitting, the Yellowjackets beat Henderson County 4-0 in the finals of the Kentucky National Insurance/KHSAA State Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

Parrett, a junior right-hander and the coach's son, threw a complete-game two-hitter, struck out seven and walked two. Only two Henderson County runners got to second base.

"For this to happen is just amazing," Logan Parrett said. "It's so exciting, my heart is pounding."

Justin Brown, a fleet-footed junior designated hitter, was named tournament MVP. He had two hits, two runs and an RBI to spark the offense in the title game.

Woodford County's fans dominated the second-largest crowd (5,111) in tournament history, and they let loose with a deafening roar on the final out.

The Jackets' players fell on top of one another in a giddy pile, reveling in the school's first state title in a sport other than wrestling.

Jeff Parrett, who was on Lafayette's state basketball championship team in 1979 and pitched in the major leagues for 10 years, was asked where this baseball title ranks with him.

"There are certain moments in life when you really feel alive, and this is one of those moments. I feel pretty alive right now," said Parrett, who was Jay Lucas' assistant for several years before taking over as coach this year.

Woodford County finished the season with a 15-game winning streak and a 34-6 record, including a 13-0 mark in one-run games.

Its success was built on pitching and defense, both of which it showcased this week in beating Powell County 3-1, South Warren 7-3, Bishop Brossart 1-0 (in nine innings) and Henderson County.

The Jackets did not allow a run in their last 19 innings, and they made just two errors in 30 innings.

"Pitching and defense really gave us this opportunity," Jeff Parrett said. "Our defense really enjoyed making plays and cheering for each other."

Logan Parrett, who won two games this week — as did fellow junior star Clinton Hollon — credited the defense "for really being the difference."

But Henderson County Coach Nathan Isenberg said Parrett's presence on the mound was what kept the Colonels from winning a second state title.

"An outstanding pitching performance by Logan Parrett," Isenberg said. "He has velocity on his fast ball; his off-speed stuff is sharp and good. He didn't hang anything, He threw it in there."

Woodford County went ahead 1-0 in the third. Gage Beavers was hit by a pitch. Pinch runner Thomas Hickman went to second on Parrett's bunt and came home on Chris Ares' two-out single.

The Jackets got two more runs in the fourth. Andy Stepp led off with a double and scored when lefty-hitting Brown sliced a single down the left-field line. Brown scored when Henderson County's right-fielder dropped a fly ball.

Woodford County's last run came in the sixth. Brown singled, stole second and scored on Beavers' two-out hit off Colonels' starter Sam Higgs, who was denied his third win of the tournament.

"We showed we're a top-five team," Isenberg said. "We finished second out of 280 schools. We got the silver. That's a great team (Woodford County's) over there.

"They got the gold."

Parrett retired 17 of the last 18 batters he faced, and the Jackets finished off their efficient victory in just one hour and 20 minutes.

That meant the Jackets and their fans could gather in downtown Versailles by 10 p.m. to continue their celebration.

"Coach always told us to work hard, have fun and care for each other," senior second baseman Rodney Gross said.

"We did all three, and now we've got a state title."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/06/09/22186...rylink=cpy
Henderson County 000 000 0—0 2 4

Woodford County 001 201 x—4 7 0

Sam Higgs and Andrew Richmond. Logan Parrett and Gage Beavers. 2B—Rodney Gross (WC), Quinn Thomas (HC), Andy Stepp (HC).

Records—Henderson Co. 29-14-1; Woodford Co. 34-6.

All-tournament: Justin Brown (MVP), Logan Parrett, Clinton Hollon of Woodford County; Quinn Thomas, Marty Coursey, Sam Higgs of Henderson County; Bo Wilson, Garrett Ledford of Meade County; Tanner Norton, Nate Verst of Bishop Brossart.

Forcht Froup Sportsmanship Award: Matt Couch of Woodford County; Kentucky National Guard Leadership Award: Justin Cessna of Henderson County; Kentucky National Insurance scholarship winners: Andrew Bramley of PRP; Luke Boose of Mercer County; Frank Spencer of Powell County; Sam Hunter of Ashland Blazer.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/06/09/22186...rylink=cpy
This was Coach Parrett's first year at Woodford County
Wow!! I just now realized that Nathan Isenburg is the coach of Henderson Co. Read the write up a week ago and it just now sunk in that hey, I know that guy. Congrats on the great year coach. You've done well.
Isenberg is also a Bowling Green boy, Bob. He comes from a great family. Congrats to Henderson County. I was pulling for them.
adopted purple Wrote:Isenberg is also a Bowling Green boy, Bob. He comes from a great family. Congrats to Henderson County. I was pulling for them.

Yep, I knew that AP. Really glad he got the chance in the big show. He's paid his dues.