Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Woodford County 4 - Powell County 3 (KHSAA State Tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rodney Gross with the game winning RBI Single.

Congrats to the Yellow Jackets on the Win

Congrats to Powell county on a good season and making it as far as they did.

Pirates will be down next year
Hollon had 14 or 15 K's for Woodford
Congrats to Powell on a great showing representing the 56th District and 10th Region very well. Seniors stepped up just as they should, but in no way should we forget the contribution of the underclassmen.
I am so proud of my pirates. They did not give up and playedtheir hearts out. Only gave up 4 run to an 11th region team. Not sure why you would say we are down next year? We lose a lot, but we also return a lot. Do you remember who has won the last 3 56th jv districts? We have, but I hope everyone else thinks the same as you do. We will suprise a lot of people.
Rodney Gross singled home Justin Brown with the winning run in the bottom of the seventh as Woodford County beat Powell County 4-3 in the first round of the state tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark Monday night.
Clinton Hollon was the winning pitcher, getting 14 strikeouts.
Woodford County led 3-0 going into the seventh when Jackets Coach Jeff Parrett lifted Hollon for reliever Eli Boggess. But Boggess quickly ran into trouble. He gave up a walk to Joey Johnson to start the inning. Caleb McCoy reached on an error. Elliott Hale singled home Johnson to make it 3-1.
Hollon, who had thrown 100 pitches in six innings, then reentered the game. After getting a strikeout, he gave up a two-run single to Cody Morton.
But Woodford County didn’t lose its poise. It pushed across the winning run in the bottom of the seventh. Brown was hit by a pitch, and was sacrificed to second by Gage Beavers. Gross then grounded a single through the left side of the infield.
“I didn’t think it was going to make it through (the infield). I thought it was an out,” Gross said. “But somehow it made it through, and I’m not complaining.”
Billy Hatmaker turned in a strong pitching performance for Powell County. He gave up only five hits in seven innings.http://www.Kentucky.com
Woodford County ace Clinton Hollon's 90-mph fastball helped him ring up 14 strikeouts, but the No. 15 Yellowjackets had to sweat out a 4-3 victory over Powell County in the first round of the Kentucky National Insurance/KHSAA State Tournament on Monday night.
Hollon, a right-hander who's rated one of the top juniors in the nation, helped Woodford County to its 12th win in a row.
Hollon threw 100 pitches before giving way to sophomore Eli Boggess to start the seventh inning.
Boggess quickly ran into trouble, though. Powell County's Joey Johnson walked, Caleb McCoy reached on an error, and Elliott Hale singled home Johnson.
Woodford County Coach Jeff Parrett then brought Hollon back into the game with runners at second and third.
After getting a strikeout, Hollon surrendered a two-run single to Cody Morton that tied the game.
Woodford County didn't lose its poise, though. It pushed across the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.
Justin Brown was hit by a pitch to start the rally. He was sacrificed to second by Gage Beavers, and raced home with the winning run when Rodney Gross grounded a single to left.
"I didn't think it was going to make it through (the infield). I thought it was an out," Gross said. "But somehow it made it through, and I'm not complaining."
Parrett said the key was getting the speedy Brown on base. "When you get Justin a chance to run, it's a thing of beauty," he said.
The Jackets' fans turned out in force at Whitaker Bank Ballpark to cheer on their team in its first-ever state tournament.
Woodford County (31-6) earned a spot in Wednesday's quarterfinals where it will face South Warren (23-13).
The Jackets touched Powell County starter Billy Hatmaker for a run in the second on Zach Hacker's double and Brown's single, and another in the third on Boggess' triple and Chris Ares' single.
They added a run in the fifth on Logan Parrett's sacrifice fly that drove in Gross.
Hollon got a boost from his defense in the third.
Powell County's Elliott Hale and Matt Pelfrey reached on singles with no outs. Hollon struck out the next two batters, but Trey Marcum followed with a sharp single to right. Hale raced around third and headed for home, but he was gunned down at the plate on the relay from Hacker to cut-off man Boggess to catcher Beavers to end the inning.
Hatmaker gave up only five hits in his seven innings of work. He struck out three and walked one.

Powell County 000 000 3—3 8 3
Woodford County 011 010 x—3 5 1
Billy Hatmaker and David Hayes. Clinton Hollon and Gage Beavers.2B—Zach Hacker (WC). 3B—Eli Boggess (WC).
Records—Powell Co. 30-12; Woodford Co. 31-6.
PC Sports Wrote:I am so proud of my pirates. They did not give up and playedtheir hearts out. Only gave up 4 run to an 11th region team. Not sure why you would say we are down next year? We lose a lot, but we also return a lot. Do you remember who has won the last 3 56th jv districts? We have, but I hope everyone else thinks the same as you do. We will suprise a lot of people.

Powell will have some very good players but they still will be down from the past 2 year's teams. When you lose 13 players over the past 2 years that hurts and they happen to be the best players on the team, not taking anything away from the younger guys because they are good. Powell won't walk through the district next year like they have the past couple years, except this year. Estill and Lee return just about everyone so next year's district is wide open
I'm very proud of the Pirates. They had a great showing against WC, holding their own until the final out.

WC's pitcher was throwing gas all night and many PC hitters couldn't catch up to it, but they hung in the game with pitching and defense.

Way to represent the 14th proudly.
It has been a pleasure to watch this team. They really like each other. Great group of seniors that gave leadership and stepped up throughout the years. Five of them will have the opportunity to play at next level. The 14th Region has some good programs and coaches. Pirates proved they belong last night. Congratulations for a great season.
on a side note has Elliott Hale decided on where he's going to College? I know he was gonna go to Berea but things happened and he isn't going there anymore.

Very good season by Powell. Way to represent the 56th and 14th Region!
I heard that Morton and Hale are going to Alice Lloyd, Pelfrey to Campbellsville, Hayes to Morehead, and Johnson to Asbury. Hale was going to Berea but something about his adoption disqualified him on a technicality.
^ Thanks!
Fun game to watch, Powell played well. Congrats Woodford.
Rodney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atta kid 4's!!
1st pitch strike Wrote:Congrats to Powell on a great showing representing the 56th District and 10th Region very well. Seniors stepped up just as they should, but in no way should we forget the contribution of the underclassmen.

Powell County is in the 14th Region, not the 10th.
Yeah, did make that mistake but thanks for the correction