Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central Eagles 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tomcat Pride Wrote:We had no problem spanking the "power house" last year. Ashland football is one of the most respected programs in the state. We've been winning for a long time, not just in the last eight years.

Its not like JC hadn't beat Ashland before Matney arrived. I remember in 1986 when a highly ranked Ashland team came too JC and got it handed to them! Coach Matney is a great coach and he deserves all the credit for building the JC program to what it is today but he is also a sly fox that saw the diamond in the rough. The JC program of the Late 70's and 80's wasn't a power house but they had better teams than they get credit for.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I am actually working on selling them a scoreboard as we speak. unfortunately the school really does not want to spend the money. one with and without a video board has been offered also a resticking, and relamping is on the table. for my sake i hope they go all out and buy the house lol.

JC needs a quality scoreboard on the football field. The Gym has new (well, installed in 2002) scoreboards that function as Basketball, Wrestling and Volleyball scoreboards.... the Softball and Baseball fields have new scoreboards. More people see the the football scoreboard than anything. Not only will it serve the football teams, but the boys and girls soccer teams as well.

I hope JC spends the money and purchases a new scoreboard with a video board. That would top off our excellent facility.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Its not like JC hadn't beat Ashland before Matney arrived. I remember in 1986 when a highly ranked Ashland team came too JC and got it handed to them! Coach Matney is a great coach and he deserves all the credit for building the JC program to what it is today but he is also a sly fox that saw the diamond in the rough. The JC program of the Late 70's and 80's wasn't a power house but they had better teams than they get credit for.

1986 season @ Ashland Was one of the worst on record 2-8 I believe. I remember playing them a few times during the 80's. Don't recall getting whipped? 86-87 was 2-8 85-86 was my senior yr an we were 8-4 best I remember we got beat by Portsmouth, ironton, Boyd an Boone Co. In region finals. So if Ashland even played them in 86-87 season they defenitly weren't highly touted! That was a miserable season in tomcat land.
I saw the eagles play a few years ago and was very impressive with the rushing attack they had. With their star player gone, will they still be able to produce the same kinds of numbers??
For those who mentioned Trent Davis earlier, he's listed in the Daily Independent this week as a member of Morehead State's incoming recruit place. So looks like he will be playing some college football after all. He was too good a kicker not to find a spot somewhere, if he chose to play collegiately. Congrats to him!
Tomcat Pride Wrote:There's one thing about it, a Paintsville football fan sure does know how it feels to be beat to death. How long has it been since Paintsville was a factor in football? I can see why your on a Johnson Central thread talking smack after looking at that pathetic schedule. I bet the whole town cant wait for that colossal week one matchup with Paris.

Only Ashland can make me root for central.
BADCAT74 Wrote:1986 season @ Ashland Was one of the worst on record 2-8 I believe. I remember playing them a few times during the 80's. Don't recall getting whipped? 86-87 was 2-8 85-86 was my senior yr an we were 8-4 best I remember we got beat by Portsmouth, ironton, Boyd an Boone Co. In region finals. So if Ashland even played them in 86-87 season they defenitly weren't highly touted! That was a miserable season in tomcat land.

It was 1986 and JCHS won the game on a fumble returned for a touchdown by a defensive Linemen by the name of Lee Hamilton. The next day in the Ashland paper they referred to the play and JC's win as a fluke. Ashland had a big offensive linemen who's first name was Joe and his last name started with A but I can't recall it. He was huge guy and good player.
Diogenes Wrote:For those who mentioned Trent Davis earlier, he's listed in the Daily Independent this week as a member of Morehead State's incoming recruit place. So looks like he will be playing some college football after all. He was too good a kicker not to find a spot somewhere, if he chose to play collegiately. Congrats to him!
:Cheerlead Great news! :Cheerlead
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Only Ashland can make me root for central.
Only Ashland can make me "Like" a post from a tiger.....
Does anybody Who, When and Where JC will be playing their scrimmages???
why did coach reeves quit hoo took his place
Coach Arms
honestjchsfan Wrote:It was 1986 and JCHS won the game on a fumble returned for a touchdown by a defensive Linemen by the name of Lee Hamilton. The next day in the Ashland paper they referred to the play and JC's win as a fluke. Ashland had a big offensive linemen who's first name was Joe and his last name started with A but I can't recall it. He was huge guy and good player.

Yeah that sounds about right. But you said they were highly ranked?? An came into JC an got it handed to them. You just stated JC won by a one touchdown. A fumble for a td by a lineman not much of a thrashing as young as that team was probably should've been by 30. They righted the ship the next season.
That lineman for Ashland was Joey Avila he was a big dude about 6'7" 285 made first team Allstate that next season his senior yr an Ashland made it to the semi finals 87-88 season they were high ranked midway through that season but not 86-87 they were terrible.
eagles2011 Wrote:why did coach reeves quit hoo took his place

Are you serious? You actually typed hoo instead of who? Way to show off that fine Johnson County education.
northlaurelfan Wrote:I saw the eagles play a few years ago and was very impressive with the rushing attack they had. With their star player gone, will they still be able to produce the same kinds of numbers??

Very doubtful because Jude was their whole team.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Yeah that sounds about right. But you said they were highly ranked?? An came into JC an got it handed to them. You just stated JC won by a one touchdown. A fumble for a td by a lineman not much of a thrashing as young as that team was probably should've been by 30. They righted the ship the next season.
That lineman for Ashland was Joey Avila he was a big dude about 6'7" 285 made first team Allstate that next season his senior yr an Ashland made it to the semi finals 87-88 season they were high ranked midway through that season but not 86-87 they were terrible.

I didn't say "thrashing" I said "they got it handed to them". JC knocked them around pretty good that game and handed them a L. Plus, my point was that JC had beat Ashland long before Matney was coach. Joey Avila is the name I was trying to think of. I met him at Don Lane's basketball camp. He was a decent basketball player too. Didn't he sign with Colorado and play for them?
honestjchsfan Wrote:I didn't say "thrashing" I said "they got it handed to them". JC knocked them around pretty good that game and handed them a L. Plus, my point was that JC had beat Ashland long before Matney was coach. Joey Avila is the name I was trying to think of. I met him at Don Lane's basketball camp. He was a decent basketball player too. Didn't he sign with Colorado and play for them?

Yes Colorado for 1 season then transferred to WVU

OK Handed, but the team JC was handing it to was as far as you can get from being highly ranked. The next season had the soon to be 90 state champs riding. The bench.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Yes Colorado for 1 season then transferred to WVU

OK Handed, but the team JC was handing it to was as far as you can get from being highly ranked. The next season had the soon to be 90 state champs riding. The bench.
That was Chris Deaton's sophmore year at JC. JC had a pretty good team that year but the coaching Staff's eyes were bigger than there belly, what I mean by that is they played ridiculouly hard schedule if I remember right they played Belfry, Prestonburg and Paintsville 3 teams that played in state title games the year before and Cumberland who had Fred Maggard and played in the Class A title game that year plus a good Clay Co. team that nearly beat the Great 86' Belfry team in the playoffs that year, then throw in a ArchBishop Alter Ohio team that had former Steeler Jeff Graham at QB. add in tradition rich Ashland, Russell and Breathitt Co in the mix. JC finished 4-7 or something like that but that was one of the top 3 teams in JC histroy before Matney. Heck they had only been playing football for 10 or 12 years at that point in time, so beating Ashland was a big, big deal and honestly it still is.
honestjchsfan Wrote:That was Chris Deaton's sophmore year at JC. JC had a pretty good team that year but the coaching Staff's eyes were bigger than there belly, what I mean by that is they played ridiculouly hard schedule if I remember right they played Belfry, Prestonburg and Paintsville 3 teams that played in state title games the year before and Cumberland who had Fred Maggard and played in the Class A title game that year plus a good Clay Co. team that nearly beat the Great 86' Belfry team in the playoffs that year, then throw in a ArchBishop Alter Ohio team that had former Steeler Jeff Graham at QB. add in tradition rich Ashland, Russell and Breathitt Co in the mix. JC finished 4-7 or something like that but that was one of the top 3 teams in JC histroy before Matney. Heck they had only been playing football for 10 or 12 years at that point in time, so beating Ashland was a big, big deal and honestly it still is.

GOD you just brought back some awesome memories! I was on that 86 Team and YES it was a pretty tough schedule. The night we played in Cumberland, I thought I was going to freeze to death! I had a 72 yard punt that night!
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Very doubtful because Jude was their whole team.

We hear this every time a great runner graduates in Johnson County. And yet somehow, the yards keep coming. Like I said earlier, you want to talk about one kid being the entire offense? Let's talk about Sam Hunter. That kid made every significant play for Ashland for four years. Central has a nice stable of young backs and a very athletic QB who got a lot of experience running the system this season. They'll be just fine. That Ashland team was senior loaded and the best team there since 2005. Them, I am not too sure about. Expect normal service to resume in the district this season.
Would love I see the ironton game. Both teams were pretty even last year. I would give a slight edge to the eagles for being at home right now but it's a Long ways away
Tomcat Pride Wrote:We had no problem spanking the "power house" last year. Ashland football is one of the most respected programs in the state. We've been winning for a long time, not just in the last eight years.
That is true but I also remember some years when Ashland was not so good. I remember a few years in the 90s and early 2000s when Ashland got smacked down by Lawrence County. I remember one year you came to Louisa with that Beach kid and got it handed to ya.
Why is JC only showing 7 games scheduled?

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=37465
OffTheHook Wrote:Why is JC only showing 7 games scheduled?

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=37465

Id say they havent got the rest 100% confirmed or reported to the KHSAA
Do-double-gg Wrote:That is true but I also remember some years when Ashland was not so good. I remember a few years in the 90s and early 2000s when Ashland got smacked down by Lawrence County. I remember one year you came to Louisa with that Beach kid and got it handed to ya.

And how will those years help you this year? See that's the problem with you Lawrence County people. All you want to do is talk about the years when Goldsmith(1st time),Chuke and McPeek was there but geez man that has been 15-20 years ago. I realize that McPeek was there in the early 2000's but he never did anything in the playoff's. Just face it Lawrence County football is horrible and those teams 15-20 years ago cant help this bunch at all. Close the yearbook son!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Does anybody Who, When and Where JC will be playing their scrimmages???

Whitley Co. Aug 10th at JC
Tomcat Pride Wrote:And how will those years help you this year? See that's the problem with you Lawrence County people. All you want to do is talk about the years when Goldsmith(1st time),Chuke and McPeek was there but geez man that has been 15-20 years ago. I realize that McPeek was there in the early 2000's but he never did anything in the playoff's. Just face it Lawrence County football is horrible and those teams 15-20 years ago cant help this bunch at all. Close the yearbook son!

All your history hasnt helped you one bit against johnson central lately either. When was the last time ashland went anywhere in football.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:All your history hasnt helped you one bit against johnson central lately either. When was the last time ashland went anywhere in football.

You don't see me on here constantly bringing up our teams from 15-20 years ago like most Lawrence County fans do. At least people still talk about Ashland football. Paintsville has become the laughing stock of not only north eastern Kentucky football, but the whole eastern half of the state. Come on man,your team was 2-9 with your only wins coming against 1-10 Paris and 1-10 Jenkins. Ashland has a future in football,Paintsville does not.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:You don't see me on here constantly bringing up our teams from 15-20 years ago like most Lawrence County fans do. At least people still talk about Ashland football. Paintsville has become the laughing stock of not only north eastern Kentucky football, but the whole eastern half of the state. Come on man,your team was 2-9 with your only wins coming against 1-10 Paris and 1-10 Jenkins. Ashland has a future in football,Paintsville does not.

Once more when was the last time ashland did something productive in football? We went to the regional championship in 05, and won region in 01. as for the future of Paintsville football give it a year or two, Ashland otoh is going to be stuck playing second fiddle to JC for quite a while.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Once more when was the last time ashland did something productive in football? We went to the regional championship in 05, and won region in 01. as for the future of Paintsville football give it a year or two, Ashland otoh is going to be stuck playing second fiddle to JC for quite a while.
I guess a Paintsville fan knows what it's like to play second fiddle to JC. You cant even begin to compare Ashland's situation with Paintsville. We have to beat the best programs in the state to advance in the playoff's where Paintsville has to beat teams like Raceland,Pikeville,and Hazard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6