Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kelvin Sampson new coach at IU!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What remarks?? YOU are the one who brought Tubby Smith into this conversation.We respectfully disagreed with his hire and you didnt. No big deal. But then you started talkin crap about OUR coach and it was uncalled for. YOU should give up your act. YOUR ACT is the ridiculous one.
Why do I even bother?? Rolleyes Rolleyes I'm outta here.
Yellow Snow Wrote:Why do I even bother?? Rolleyes Rolleyes I'm outta here.

:thumpsup:
...:howdy:
Yellow Snow Wrote:Why do I even bother?? Rolleyes Rolleyes I'm outta here.

It's ok to disagree here at Bluegrassrivals.. With that said, I think IU could of landed a better coach. Not a bad hire, but not a great one IMO..
torQQue Wrote:It's ok to disagree here at Bluegrassrivals.. With that said, I think IU could of landed a better coach. Not a bad hire, but not a great one IMO..

Yeah they could have done a LOT better...Sampson will be in and out in 3 or 4 years...
[
The trouble with the NCAA were his assistants not him. Look it up, and let's bring some facts to the table.[/QUOTE]

They suspended his pay for a while if I am not mistaken. That would lead me to believe it was more than just his assistants involved.
torQQue Wrote:With that said, I think IU could of landed a better coach. Not a bad hire, but not a great one IMO..

alfus21 Wrote:Yeah they could have done a LOT better...Sampson will be in and out in 3 or 4 years...
Who could they have hired that would be alot better?

And if you say Alford, im going to puke. Alford is NOT a great coach, and if you remember, I said a month ago he would not get the job, when EVERYONE else was saying it was a lock.

I know more about this situation than any of you, so tell me who you think they could have hired and I will tell you why they weren't hired or interviewewd or whatnot.
98NCCalum Wrote:Who could they have hired that would be alot better?

And if you say Alford, im going to puke. Alford is NOT a great coach, and if you remember, I said a month ago he would not get the job, when EVERYONE else was saying it was a lock.

I know more about this situation than any of you, so tell me who you think they could have hired and I will tell you why they weren't hired or interviewewd or whatnot.

I think IU went after Few first. I think he would of been the 'great hire'. But he turned the job. Then they went after calipari and he would a pretty good hire as well. Oviously IU thought these two coaches were better because they went after them first. THey declined so they got the best coach available willing to take the job. Also the reason I say Sampson is not a great hire is because he has the Oklahoma program under investigation for recruiting violations. What a way to leave a program. This probably helped him to make up his mind to leave to IU.

Sampson is not a bad coach. Among active coaches he has the longest streak for 20 or more wins a season.
1. Sampson 19 straight 20 win seasons.
2. Tubby 13 straight 20 win seasons.
3. Coach K 10 straight 20 win seasons.

But I think it would be a shame if the NCAA finds out that he was involved in recruiting violations. Wouldn't Oklahoma have to pay the consequences for his mistakes? It would be a shame if this happens. Even though the violations wouldn't effect his IU team. Sampson would have to live with that bad reputation and it may effect his recruiting efforts in the future at IU.
torQQue Wrote:I think IU went after Few first. I think he would of been the 'great hire'. But he turned the job. Then they went after calipari and he would a pretty good hire as well. Oviously IU thought these two coaches were better because they went after them first. THey declined so they got the best coach available willing to take the job. Also the reason I say Sampson is not a great hire is because he has the Oklahoma program under investigation for recruiting violations. What a way to leave a program. This probably helped him to make up his mind to leave to IU.

Sampson is not a bad coach. Among active coaches he has the longest streak for 20 or more wins a season.
1. Sampson 19 straight 20 win seasons.
2. Tubby 13 straight 20 win seasons.
3. Coach K 10 straight 20 win seasons.

But I think it would be a shame if the NCAA finds out that he was involved in recruiting violations. Wouldn't Oklahoma have to pay the consequences for his mistakes? It would be a shame if this happens. Even though the violations wouldn't effect his IU team. Sampson would have to live with that bad reputation and it may effect his recruiting efforts in the future at IU.

I am pretty sure some of the sanctions can follow him to IU.
There will be no more sanctions put on IU or Oklahoma.

The viloations were minor.

QQ, you are right, this is the best they could do. Few wouldn't leave for that little money. Calipari seriously thinks he's winning the national title next year.

No one else was really a candidate.
What about Isaih Thomas?
98NCCalum Wrote:There will be no more sanctions put on IU or Oklahoma.

The viloations were minor.

QQ, you are right, this is the best they could do. Few wouldn't leave for that little money. Calipari seriously thinks he's winning the national title next year.

No one else was really a candidate.

I would of thought the IU job was among the highest payest coaching positions. Do you have an idea of what the salary is at IU?
corndog23 Wrote:What about Isaih Thomas?
Never a candidate.

Why would anyone EVER leave being the President of the New York Knicks, to a college head coach?
torQQue Wrote:I would of thought the IU job was among the highest payest coaching positions. Do you have idea of what the salary is at IU?
I think they were looking around the 1.5 range.
98NCCalum Wrote:I think they were looking around the 1.5 range.

Does Few make this kind of money at Gonzaga?
I don't know what Few makes, but it will take more than that to get him away. This is a perfect case in point.
98NCCalum Wrote:Never a candidate.

Why would anyone EVER leave being the President of the New York Knicks, to a college head coach?

I just heard some rumors that he had been seen in the president's office or something like that...
corndog23 Wrote:I just heard some rumors that he had been seen in the president's office or something like that...
He went there. He's on campus alot.
So I was right. Sampson will be getting 1.5 a year. Which is significantly more than Davis was making, if that puts the money aspect in more perspective for you QQ.
Sampson better win a National Championship in the next few years or he is gone at IU !
I think Sampson will fit in with Indiana
blackcat_student Wrote:Sampson better win a National Championship in the next few years or he is gone at IU !
He signed a 7 year deal.

So you're wrong.

Try again.
You can still fire somone ! even though he is under contract.
And have to pay alot more money, still paying old coach and paying new coach.
He's there for a while. It will take him a little time to get his type players. Isnt that what coachs always say.
I would say Alford thought about going to Indiana but thats all, just a thought. He has a good thing going on at Iowa right now and would be absurd to leave at this moment in time. But for who the Hoosiers got, Kelvin Sampson? Kind of shocking and surprising just b/c I always heard that they would hire someone who had ties to the school, and I dont recall Sampson having any ties to Indiana but I might be wrong. Good luck Coach Sampson and be looking for the criticism of the fans and the praising of the fans!
-STAT- Wrote:I would say Alford thought about going to Indiana but thats all, just a thought. He has a good thing going on at Iowa right now and would be absurd to leave at this moment in time. But for who the Hoosiers got, Kelvin Sampson? Kind of shocking and surprising just b/c I always heard that they would hire someone who had ties to the school, and I dont recall Sampson having any ties to Indiana but I might be wrong. Good luck Coach Sampson and be looking for the criticism of the fans and the praising of the fans!
Alford could have thougt about al night and day, he was never a candidate, so that's irrelevant. He was not contacted about the job and was never an option.
well I never did say that he was a Candidate, but what I heard on all the sports channels that he would be a heavy candidate, but I had a good idea he wasnt going to be
Pages: 1 2