Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Indiana says UK declined offer to resume series for 2nd time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Negotiations to keep the Kentucky-Indiana series going have broken down for the second time.
Indiana officials announced May 3 that they could not reach a deal to extend the contract, which expired after last season.
According to a letter between the school's two athletic directors obtained Wednesday, negotiations resumed on May 10 and didn't end until Kentucky's DeWayne Peevy contacted Indiana officials May 24 to reject the offer.
Indiana athletic director Fred Glass wrote that he would agree to play games in 2012 and 2013 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis if the next two games were played on campus. Indiana also offered to share a $100,000 buyout to move a conflicting game.
The letter says Kentucky declined.http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/Ind...19475.html
ITs either gonna be in Indy ever year or its not going to happen.
Coach Cal will now release a statement saying...

They are scared to play us.
Why not play at Lucas Oil? UK would get a bigger payoff there than playing in Bloomington anyhow? It's not like UK does not play "neutral" games in their own state.
Stardust Wrote:Why not play at Lucas Oil? UK would get a bigger payoff there than playing in Bloomington anyhow? It's not like UK does not play "neutral" games in their own state.

Bottom line...
Cal isn't going to ride up to Bloomington and play the Hoosiers. This proves it.
They offered UK the opportunity to play the "neutral" games they wanted for 2 years and play on campus for 2 years. That would make one game in Bloomington and 3 away from it but it still didn't go through.

Calipari is taking a page out of Coach K's book and like everyone else in the nation does with Duke...
people will have to deal with it.
The headline got the story wrong. If UK ended talks about the game THIS time,
then it's 1-1. Indiana unilaterally ended the negotiations before. Me, I like the
IU series, I'm a traditionalist. But I'm also a realist and understand that maximizing
money and exposure is the name of the game.

IU is the porblem here. When a school offers to play you every year in YOUR
back yard at a huge site that brings big revenue to both schools, and you
won't go for it, YOU are the problem. Of course as I've said before, IU probably
sees the potential pitfall of having as big a Kentucky contingent filling Lucas
Oil as of Hoosier fans, and sees the negative image that would give IU
since it's in Indianapolis afterall.

And Crean SHOULD want this neutral court series too. He doesn't know yet
if he actually HAS restores IU. They weren't nearly as good last year as the
narrative is telling now, and they won't have to come to Rupp and take
a pounding early in the season that could be a confidence killer.
There's nothing wrong with what Indiana is offering.

Let's be real, UK playing IU at the Yum Center is not a neutral site. We know IU will barely have any fans at that game. UK playing IU at Lucas Oil Stadium is a true neutral site, large enough for both fans, giving both programs an advantage over other local schools in recruiting Indianapolis.

This is UK simply saying we don't want to play you right now, but we will if you do these things.
The IU/UK rivavlry is/was one of the best in college basketball!
masiello Wrote:The IU/UK rivavlry is/was one of the best in college basketball!

During the 70's-80's it was a great rivalry. Since Pitino's days, it hasn't been
much of a rivalry. Heck, we even held the upper hand during Tubby time,
so IU has NOT held up their end. And it certainly can't be called one of
the best in college basketball right now. I think it has the potential
to getr back their if Crean can follow through on last season's promise.
But at the same time you can't forget Crean drastically underachieved
at first, and was on a HOT seat coming in to last year. Looks like
he's ready to return to the top, but he has to prove it.
Cal-Chicken shit

Schedule Pikeville or Kentucky State
^
Cal=national championship
Thad- 0
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Cal-Chicken shit

Schedule Pikeville or Kentucky State

I'm all for watching my alma mater get pounded by 50 against UK
People, neither coach or school is scared to play a damn ballgame. If you believe that, you're stupid. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about...
vundy33 Wrote:People, neither coach or school is scared to play a damn ballgame. If you believe that, you're stupid. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about...

I KNOW Cal isn't scared to play. I doubt IU is scared to play. IU feels
the need to have a prominent non-con team come to Bloomington,
but Cal feels it's more advantageous for UK to have games out
in these neutral venues. If there's hesitancy(not fear) it's on IU's
part because they feel it won't be good for their recruiting if
they play in Lucas Oil, and half or more of the crowd is UK right
in their back yard of Indianapolis. Whereas Cal knows it's great
for his national recruiting to do these prominent games at
neutral sites like Cowboys stadium, MSG etc.
toussaints Wrote:There's nothing wrong with what Indiana is offering.

Let's be real, UK playing IU at the Yum Center is not a neutral site. We know IU will barely have any fans at that game. UK playing IU at Lucas Oil Stadium is a true neutral site, large enough for both fans, giving both programs an advantage over other local schools in recruiting Indianapolis.

This is UK simply saying we don't want to play you right now, but we will if you do these things.

It doesn't matter if it's wrong or not.
If Cal doesn't want to play them he doesn't have to play them.

Coack Shushetski (Phonetically correct) doesn't play true road games in the non-conference. The only difference between him and Cal in this regard is that UK doesn't play this because they are preparing for championships and Duke doesn't do it because they know they would lose some games.
Two games I don't wanna see us quit playing are the IU and UL games! Come on Cal!