Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville 10, Prestonsburg 8 (10 innings)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Pikeville.
Congrats Paintsville!!!
Congrats Paintsville
27 combined hits (13 Paintsville, 14 Prestonsburg), 26 runners left on base (10 Paintsville, 16 Prestonsburg). This game was about as even as you could get. Back and forth throughout. Timmy Sublett came in to pitch for the Tigers with 2 outs in the 4th. He pitched 5 1/3 innings of relief and did an unbelievable job. Paintsville really gutted this one out. Congrats to Coach Miller and his team! As for Prestonsburg, they've had a great season, and tonight, things just didn't go their way. It sucks that anyone had to lose this game.
I thought Timmy threw about as well as I've seen him throw all year. He come in during a tight spot and pretty much shut down Pburg the rest of the game. How about the left fielder for Pburg? Not sure of his name, but if he doesn't make 2-3 web gems this game is over earlier. When Paintsville trailed 8-5, I was worried about how the youth would react, but they done well and that goes to the coaching staff for keeping them focused. A lot of timely hits and good defense by the young guns kept Paintsville in it. What about the throw home to gun out the guy trying to score from 3rd? It was just an amazing game to watch and all the kids left it out on the field for 4 hours. Congratulations to Pburg on a great season and Coach Simpkins for what he has been able to to that program in two seasons. Best of luck to Paintsville on Wednesday.
Absolutely amazing baseball game to watch. Colby Burchett gets the go ahead single with the bases loaded in the 10th inning, then 8th Grader Kash Daniel laces another single to left to add the 10th run. Timmy Sublett came in and did a phenomenal job in relief tonight. Got himself out of a couple really tight spots and provided the spark Paintsville needed to get the bats going late in the game. Prestonsburg's left fielder played like an All-American defensively tonight. He made some extremely great plays out there that I thought he had no shot of making when they left the bat. Congrats to both teams on an extremely hard fought battle. It's a shame that one had to end. Congrats to Coach Simpkins and Prestonsburg on a great season, and best of luck to the Tigers as they advance to the 2nd Round.
Congrats Paintsville!
Also congrats to Prestonsburg on a good season.
Good God what a game.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Good God what a game.

That pretty much about sums it up.
Who will paintsville play in the semi's?
WOW, what a game. Several plays made in this game that could have made the top 10 on ESPN. Sublett for Paintsville may have had the best game of his life. A diving catch in center to prevent what could have been a tripple if he misses and a shutout of the cats on the mound. Brown 2 amazing cathces in left for P-burg that were MLB caliber. Hit after hit by both teams. Pitchers getting out of jam after jam. Total team effort by both teams. Great coaching strategies on both sides. The only down side is you hate to see either team lose. My heart bleeds for the seniors at Prestonsburg as they have had a great year and what a way to end the season.

Congrats to both teams.
Tigers move on to face Belfry.
Congrats to both teams . As has been previously stated, it is a shame that somebody had to loose by score. Don't know when I have seen two teams lay more down than what I saw last night. The Blackcats left fielder put it down on two catches that were ESPN worthy. Coach Simpkins and his staff have I am sure made the Blackcat faithful proud and have absolutely nothing to be taken back about this season. The Blackcats will be heard from in many years to come. "The Miller Years" What can you say ? They started 2 eight graders,2 Freshmen and a Soph. I believe, with a 7th grader contributing heavily. Very difficult to pick a player they all complemented each other so well. I cannot close without mentioning the play of catcher and Freshman Gabe Burchell. The kid stepped in this year by perhaps necessity and has played way farther than his years. Don't know when I have seen a freshman catcher respond the way this kid does.Miller and Daniels (8th graders) WOW!!!!! A very special thanks to the teams for an exciting game.
DALE Wrote:I thought Timmy threw about as well as I've seen him throw all year. He come in during a tight spot and pretty much shut down Pburg the rest of the game. How about the left fielder for Pburg? Not sure of his name, but if he doesn't make 2-3 web gems this game is over earlier. When Paintsville trailed 8-5, I was worried about how the youth would react, but they done well and that goes to the coaching staff for keeping them focused. A lot of timely hits and good defense by the young guns kept Paintsville in it. What about the throw home to gun out the guy trying to score from 3rd? It was just an amazing game to watch and all the kids left it out on the field for 4 hours. Congratulations to Pburg on a great season and Coach Simpkins for what he has been able to to that program in two seasons. Best of luck to Paintsville on Wednesday.

first let me say i'm not trying to put down anyone. but i have to ask this. what has simpkins done other than competing in the 15th? p-burg is in the region every year. regardless of talent or who is coaching. he had what most said was the best team in the region. he got beat in the 1st round. he made it further last year didn't he?

congrats to paintsville. and to those that were chomping at the bit to oust miller during the season and go ahead and move simpkins in. Confusednicker:
Thank you Hustle, I completely forgot to mention the outstanding play of Gabe Burchell behind the dish. Blocked everything that he needed to, made a good throw to 2nd on a steal attempt, hit the ball well, just all around great job by Burchell last night. Seriously impressed with his output.
Congrats to the Tigers on a heck of a win it was even exciting on the radio. Congrats to P'burg on their strong season.
lchsalumnus Wrote:first let me say i'm not trying to put down anyone. but i have to ask this. what has simpkins done other than competing in the 15th? p-burg is in the region every year. regardless of talent or who is coaching. he had what most said was the best team in the region. he got beat in the 1st round. he made it further last year didn't he?

congrats to paintsville. and to those that were chomping at the bit to oust miller during the season and go ahead and move simpkins in. Confusednicker:

No wonder folks dont like you. This is totally uncalled for. Get on with summerball and maybe you will make the region next year and will have a more positive outlook.

Both teams played a great game, as many have stated numerous momentum shifts and numerous big plays or hits. Both teams should be proud of their effort.
Commanche Wrote:No wonder folks dont like you. This is totally uncalled for. Get on with summerball and maybe you will make the region next year and will have a more positive outlook.

Both teams played a great game, as many have stated numerous momentum shifts and numerous big plays or hits. Both teams should be proud of their effort.

didn't know i was in a popularity contest. i'm just simply stating that people are lining up to put p-burg's coach at the top. he has had 2 years. if pikeville's coach loses in the 1st round does he not get torn to pieces on here? same with most other coaches. all i'm saying is before everyone starts saying how great he is, let him accomplish something first. getting to the region if you are p-burg's baseball coach is not an accomplishment.

congrats to the 57th runner-up on the win. now jchs continue it tonight.
lchsalumnus Wrote:didn't know i was in a popularity contest. i'm just simply stating that people are lining up to put p-burg's coach at the top. he has had 2 years. if pikeville's coach loses in the 1st round does he not get torn to pieces on here? same with most other coaches. all i'm saying is before everyone starts saying how great he is, let him accomplish something first. getting to the region if you are p-burg's baseball coach is not an accomplishment.
You have got to be a kid....

Must be a fairly big deal, there is a team north of Johnson Co. that wasn't able to do it.
Bob Seger Wrote:You have got to be a kid....

Must be a fairly big deal, there is a team north of Johnson Co. that wasn't able to do it.

and if p-burg was in the 57th, they would have had the same fate as my school wouldn't they? listen guys, i'm not downing simpkins. he's a good, young coach. but everyone is suddenly anointing him and maybe they need to give him some more time? that's all i'm saying. stop saying how great he has changed p-burg. give him time and THEN put the pressure on him.

i'm probably waisting my breath trying to give my point of view. it's all about johnson county or pikeville on here. that's all the opinions that matter.
Shane has done a lot with that program. When competing in a football ran school as he does, and have the kids to play like they do he must be doing something right. Ok he has not won a region title YET!!! but since been the caoch at pburg he has won the all "A" twice. You say so what.. but if it was basketball people would talk about it for years. Shane is a young coach, he has accomplished alot. He lost a hard fought game last night, the ball just didnt bounce his way.. But hats of to Shane for a good season, and for John Doug, he has young kids and it shows that his team in the future has the will to win...
lchsalumnus Wrote:didn't know i was in a popularity contest. i'm just simply stating that people are lining up to put p-burg's coach at the top. he has had 2 years. if pikeville's coach loses in the 1st round does he not get torn to pieces on here? same with most other coaches. all i'm saying is before everyone starts saying how great he is, let him accomplish something first. getting to the region if you are p-burg's baseball coach is not an accomplishment.

Prestonsburg had the hardest schedule in the region this season. Beating Boyle, Hazard and Letcher twice, were in the game with a chance to win agains Trinity, Calloway Co., Harlan Co., Lexington Christian Academy and Ashland. Also played Lafeyette, Mercer, Scott Co., Christian Academy of Louisville and Somerset. And still finished the season with a 24-15 record. In the 2011 season he finished 18-11 with only 17 players.

So lets see what he has done in only 2 seasons.

2 All "A" 15th region titles.
2 All "A" sectional titles.
2 All "A" state elite 8 apperances.
2 District titles.
2 Conference titles.

Sounds like a pretty good resume to me!

The best team doesn't always win. That's why the games are played on the field. Paintsville played a great game as did Prestonsburg. It wasn't in the cards for the Cats and Paintsville deserved the win. Just part of game.

Congrats Tigers on a hard fault victory and good luck the rest of the way.
PHS Coach Wrote:Prestonsburg had the hardest schedule in the region this season. Beating Boyle, Hazard and Letcher twice, were in the game with a chance to win agains Trinity, Calloway Co., Harlan Co., Lexington Christian Academy and Ashland. Also played Lafeyette, Mercer, Scott Co., Christian Academy of Louisville and Somerset. And still finished the season with a 24-15 record. In the 2011 season he finished 18-11 with only 17 players.

2 District titles.
2 Conference titles.

The best team doesn't always win. That's why the games are played on the field. Paintsville played a great game as did Prestonsburg. It wasn't in the cards for the Cats and Paintsville deserved the win. Just part of game.

Coach you may want to add: 2012 24-15 (625) 19-2 In 15th. 2011:18-11 (611) 15-8 in the 15th. Not to shabby a job for two years work. This may qualify as a turnaround era for P-burg baseball.
Considering the fact that prestonsburg baseball used to be pathetic for the caliber of athletes they have. Clearly Simpkins is doing something right.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Congrats to both teams . As has been previously stated, it is a shame that somebody had to loose by score. Don't know when I have seen two teams lay more down than what I saw last night. The Blackcats left fielder put it down on two catches that were ESPN worthy. Coach Simpkins and his staff have I am sure made the Blackcat faithful proud and have absolutely nothing to be taken back about this season. The Blackcats will be heard from in many years to come. "The Miller Years" What can you say ? They started 2 eight graders,2 Freshmen and a Soph. I believe, with a 7th grader contributing heavily. Very difficult to pick a player they all complemented each other so well. I cannot close without mentioning the play of catcher and Freshman Gabe Burchell. The kid stepped in this year by perhaps necessity and has played way farther than his years. Don't know when I have seen a freshman catcher respond the way this kid does.Miller and Daniels (8th graders) WOW!!!!! A very special thanks to the teams for an exciting game.

Charlie I have heard this all year about this kids ability behind the plate. He moves great and receives the ball as well as anybody around. I think these young kids stepping up the way they did as everyone on the team did gives alot of optimisim going forward. I know it was just one game but you have to think of the maturity of these kids. You had an eighth grader tie it up with two outs in the seventh?{I think} and another flying around the infield knocking down balls and a huge pick at first to secure extra innings is just something else for these kids to gain confidence. Who knows what happens tomorrow night but this may have been a stepping stone game for that entire team.
Thanks for the Pburg stats as well, its always good to have any team in the region to represent outside of it as well as Pburg has done, congrats to coach simpkins and his entire team.
Where is Off The Hook when you need him with stats? Confusednicker: Timmy did a hell of a job Hook.
I'm here guys. My computer is down and I had to bum a friends to get on here.

And I agree. He threw his ass off and the rest of the team played their asses off for him!

This thread is about probably one of the best high school baseball games that anyone could possibly want to see. I do not want to take away from both teams as every kid that got on the feild, played with his heart. It was an awesome experience and I wish the best to Paintsville for the rest of the tournament. The tigers bunch of kids that I have watched grow up in sports.
And for P-Burg nothing to be ashamed of and evrything to look forward to.

Now I will digress and comment on what is obviously a jealousy based comment .

I usually don't comment and try to temper my comments BUT. Coach simpkins came into his head coaching position last year the day before the first game, only had 17 players with only 5 having varsity experience. His accomplishments on the feild has already been discussed in previous posts.

NOW to my point. Not only has Coach Simpkins taught these kids baseball, he has also taught them to win with Humility, lose with dignity and honor, and play to their potential. I have also seen him spend many weekends preparing to host the regional tournament last year. He has been a big factor in making improvements on the feild. He has inspired kids to play parents to participate and fans to come enjoy the games. He could have taken the low road and lost his temper due to frustration on more than one occasion, instead he has handled himself in a very respectful manner towards the kids, umpires and other people,something you only see from very few coaches. Yes I am close to the team and yes I have a son that plays for him actually 2. I will tell you this, as much as I appreciate him teaching them to be an athelete, I am even more thankful that he teaches them to be respectful and productive students and citizens.

I will not comment publically further but I will entertain any private conversations.
bcats12 Wrote:This thread is about probably one of the best high school baseball games that anyone could possibly want to see. I do not want to take away from both teams as every kid that got on the feild, played with his heart. It was an awesome experience and I wish the best to Paintsville for the rest of the tournament. The tigers bunch of kids that I have watched grow up in sports.

I usually don't comment and try to temper my comments BUT. Coach simpkins came into his head coaching position last year the day before the first game, only had 17 players with only 5 having varsity experience. His accomplishments on the feild has already been discussed in previous posts.

NOW to my point. Not only has Coach Simpkins taught these kids baseball, he has also taught them to win with Humility, lose with dignity and honor, and play to their potential. I have also seen him spend many weekends preparing to host the regional tournament last year. He has been a big factor in making improvements on the feild. He has inspired kids to play parents to participate and fans to come enjoy the games. He could have taken the low road and lost his temper due to frustration on more than one occasion, instead he has handled himself in a very respectful manner towards the kids, umpires and other people,something you only see from very few coaches. Yes I am close to the team and yes I have a son that plays for him actually 2. I will tell you this, as much as I appreciate him teaching them to be an athelete, I am even more thankful that he teaches them to be respectful and productive students and citizens.

I will not comment publically further but I will entertain any private conversations.
Simpkins is again a good friend and clear class act. Just glad that he was able to do what he does well.
bcats12 Wrote:This thread is about probably one of the best high school baseball games that anyone could possibly want to see. I do not want to take away from both teams as every kid that got on the feild, played with his heart. It was an awesome experience and I wish the best to Paintsville for the rest of the tournament. The tigers bunch of kids that I have watched grow up in sports.

you may have misunderstood my intentions. he is a good coach. he has done a great job. but people are wanting to suddenly put the title of "great" on him after 2 years. don't put that pressure on him YET. he had a great regular season. that's all i meant. if someone cannot be a bit critical on here then why have a message board at all? just to pump each other up? i don't think so.
lchsalumnus Wrote:first let me say i'm not trying to put down anyone. but i have to ask this. what has simpkins done other than competing in the 15th? p-burg is in the region every year. regardless of talent or who is coaching. he had what most said was the best team in the region. he got beat in the 1st round. he made it further last year didn't he?

First let me start by saying I absolutely agree with all of the positive Coach Simpkins posts in this thread. He has taught my son more about the game of baseball and improved his skills more in the last 2 seasons than all of his years since t-ball, by any coach, including myself. In fact, I feel like Im a better coach by watching the guy from the bleachers. IMO He IS a great coach. BUT..I know all this because he coaches my son. I've been there, people like LCHSalumnus have not.

So I ask..what is wrong his post? I think the question is legitimate. Especially from someone who isn't associated with the program. I'm fairly new to this forum and don't post very often but it really does seem that most posts on this site (or at least in the HS baseball threads) are this politiically correct, nicey nice, let's say all the right things so we don't make anyone mad. Why can't we just post our opinions and ask the real questions we want answered without being accused of being a jealous, bitter troublemaker. By the way, maybe he is. I don't know him or care, my point is I wouldn't conclude that from the question.

PHS Coach Wrote:Prestonsburg had the hardest schedule in the region this season. Beating Boyle, Hazard and Letcher twice, were in the game with a chance to win agains Trinity, Calloway Co., Harlan Co., Lexington Christian Academy and Ashland. Also played Lafeyette, Mercer, Scott Co., Christian Academy of Louisville and Somerset. And still finished the season with a 24-15 record. In the 2011 season he finished 18-11 with only 17 players.

2 District titles.
2 Conference titles.

This, again IMO is a great post and response to a valid question. This not only answered his question but probably informed a lot of people outside the program of Coach Simpkins acomplishments. Neither of which would have happened if the question was never asked in the first place.

Look, I'm not saying this should be Topix and I definitely understand that not all things said on here should be ignored but in this case and many others on here, everyone just seems way too uptight.

I read a thread here recently about the aparent lack of interest in the baseball forums. I'd say it's probably due the boring, let's stroke each other, posts one after each other. It is the threads like this one that interest people. If you have any doubt about that, just look at the amount of posts and views for this one, compared to most.

So for the sake of this site, I hope everyone continues to ask the real questions and post real opinions, while others respond with real answers, creating good debate.

Oh, almost forgot...Congrats Paintsville.:biggrin:
Pages: 1 2