Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 5 (Position and Pitchers) Players since 2000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who are the Top 5 players since the year 2000?

For MLB, let us make a separate list for pitchers. So either top 5 position players or make a bigger list and include at least 5 position players.

For example:
pitcher, pitcher, 1B, C, pitcher, 1B, SS, 1B, pitcher, etc.....
IMO:

Albert Pujols
Alex Rodriguez
Ichiro
Todd Helton
Jim Edmons

(I did not include pitchers, just to make my list easier)
Chipper Jones > Todd Helton.

Overall, I like your list though. It's always hard to make a list of 5. I feel like Derek Jeter could be on anyone's list too.
Chipper between 2000-2012 has had 306 HR's 1061 RBI .306 BA .406 OB%, 4 All Star appearances, 1 Silver Slugger, led the NL in BA and OBP one season,

Todd Helton between 2000-2012 has had 287 HR's 1112 RBI, .322 BA, .426 OBP, 5 All Star appearances, 3 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers, led the NL in BA once, led the NL in OB% twice AND has the highest active on base percentage of ANY player in MLB.

I chose Todd Helton over Chipper because of personal fan preference as well as the HUGE difference in fielding. If it were a career top 5, I might have chose Chipper because of the MVP and a longer career.
are these past or present?
^

Anyone from 2000-to present.
R. Halladay
T. Hudson
R. Clemons
A. Pettitte
R. Johnson

No Order
^Do you have a list of position players?
C - Ivan Rodriguez
1B - Mark McGwire/Albert Puljos
2B - Jeff Kent
3B - A-Rod
SS - Cal Ripken JR/Barry Larkin
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Curtis Granderson
RF - Adam Dunn (Before moving to 1st)
Strikeout King Wrote:C - Ivan Rodriguez
1B - Mark McGwire/Albert Puljos
2B - Jeff Kent
3B - A-Rod
SS - Cal Ripken JR/Barry Larkin
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Curtis Granderson
RF - Adam Dunn (Before moving to 1st)

Really? You do know that Ripken retired in 2001 and last played shortstop in 1996, right?

Curtis Granderson? He hit .267 with 1 season of more than 80 RBIs in that time period.

Barry Larking hit around .260 in that time period with a total of 20 homers.

Adam Dunn has played a total of 106 games in right field in his career. Never more than 38 in a season.
what would your list be?
Strikeout King Wrote:what would your list be?

My list by position would at least have players that actually played that position during the time period and had more than one good season. Curtis Granderson? Cal Ripken Jr? Barry Larkin? Larkin would have made a 90s list. Granderson isnt even close.
^ I was trying not to make it all about the present players. You have Edgar Renteria, Rollins, Tejada, Tulowitzki, Carlos Gullien, Visquel, Cabrera, Aurilla, Peralta and the list goes on and on of very good short stops.
Norm Peterson Wrote:My list by position would at least have players that actually played that position during the time period and had more than one good season. Curtis Granderson? Cal Ripken Jr? Barry Larkin? Larkin would have made a 90s list. Granderson isnt even close.

No argument is valid without a list being presented. That is like telling someone how to play the game without proving knowledge of it. Please, give us a list, and I will debate with you, until a list is presented, it is just random postings that I skip until a person with a list speaks. Wink
Strikeout King Wrote:^ I was trying not to make it all about the present players. You have Edgar Renteria, Rollins, Tejada, Tulowitzki, Carlos Gullien, Visquel, Cabrera, Aurilla, Peralta and the list goes on and on of very good short stops.

But they asked for the time period from 2000-2012--and for the best players. How about Derek Jester at shortstop? In that time period: 10 All-Star games, 5 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers, 1309 runs scored, 2348 hits, 182 homeruns, 873 RBIs, 256 SBs and a .312 average. That guys pretty good, and I bate the Yankees.
Jeter is one of the best to ever play the game
C- Jorge Posada
1B-Albert Pujols
2B- Chase Utley
SS- Derek Jeter
3B- Alex Rodriguez
LF- Barry Bonds
CF-Josh Hamilton
RF- Vladimir Guerrero/Ichiro (Can't decide who to give the edge to here)

Pitchers:
1. Randy Johnson
2. Pedro Martinez
3. CC Sabathia
4. Roy Halladay
5. Johan Santana

After doing all that I just realized I was only supposed to name five players.LOL. I guess that's my top player at each position of the 2000's.
C: Jorge Posada(Today's Best - Buster Posey)
1B: Albert Pujols (Today's Best - Joey Votto)
2B: Chase Utley (Today's Best - Brandon Phillips/Ian Kinsler)
SS: Derek Jeter (Today's Best - Derek Jeter/Asdrubal Cabrera)
3B: Alex Rodriguez (Today's Best - Alex Rodriguez)
OF: Ichiro (Today's Best, Ichiro)
OF: Barry Bonds (Today's Best, Josh Hamilton)
OF: Carlos Beltran (Today's Best, Andrew McCutchen)

Others: David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Chipper Jones, Lance Berkman,

Pitchers:
Roy Halladay
Johan Santana
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
CC Sabathia

(Today: RA Dickey, CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander, Johnny Cueto)

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Top Five: Mariano Rivera, A-Rod, Derek Jeter, Barry Bonds, Ichiro
IMO, Ichiro is one of the most underrated players in the history of baseball. Just in terms of perception from a lot of people i have talked to. I think he is one of the best to ever play the game.

Position:

-Derek Jeter
-Albert Pujols
-Barry Bonds
-Ichiro Suzuki
-Alex Rodriguez

Pitchers:

-Roger Clemens
-Roy Halladay
-Johan Santana
-Randy Johnson
-Curt Schilling