Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Showcase Voting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any ideal how the player voting went for Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Showcases for all stars and all state players? Maybe we can get a full list compiled from all the regions.
The whole thing is a popularity contest. Every year the best don't get to participate!
you are righht, this process is a joke and some of the best players get punished by other coaches, the best dont always come out. Some of the coaches dont pay their dues and cant be voting members which hurts players and their own players. How do you get the best players, well other coaches see the best players on teams and how they play against the competition.
Some schools play good competition all year to help their teams get better, not to pad stats against weaker competition day in and day out. Some stats by player can be so high that it is a joke while other teams have lower averages and pitchers have higher era's but they are playing quality competition, and some stats are inflated because some people dont no baseball and will give SB for pass balls, hits on true errors or on fielder choices. The Junior class in the 14th is loaded with each team having so good juniors: Hubbard and Sandlin from Leslie, Short from Letcher, the lefty pitcher from Breathitt Hamilition is one of the best pitchers around, Hazard has four great Juniors in Johnson kid who is one of best overall players in this area, Whitaker-great pitcher and hitter, Olinger who hits the ball a ton with great power and HR's to back them up, and Stupart who is really developing to an overall player, and the Creech kid who is a great hitter and will get better. How do you pick two of these talents to make a roster when they all shine in some areas. and some coaches dont even vote for other teams players
Not sure I agree with it being a popularity contest at all. Look back at about any region the last half dozen years or so and the kids that are selected for the most part are the kids that end up getting the better college offers, performing better and last longer when they get there. Examples, TeWayne Willis, Freeman, John Couch, Napier, Shepard. Even now, storm Wilson, etc. don't get me wrong there are still a few that might not belong but for the most part the coaches understand the kids, their parents, their work ethic, if they will even stick it out in college and the ever controversial STATS. When crazy numbers are thrown out there I think coaches look more at strength of schedule, defense, etc. in the 14th I know 4 or 5 kids that would hit .750 against some of the really weak schedules that a few of the teams are playing. It is obvious the coaches are looking at more than just stats and they seem to be getting it right when you look at history and the results of the kids who are fortunate enough to get voted on. I think the bigger, legitimate gripe would be only 2 kids from each year going from the 11th region. But under the rules they go by they seem to be on target way more than not. That is why I was curious who made it this year? Especially in the mountain regions.