Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Reds 4, Braves 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other day someone asked Dusty Baker about his offense and its reliance on the home run.

“I’d like to see some more long balls to tell you the truth,” Baker said.

Request granted.

The Reds homered four times Monday night to support Mike Leake’s gem in a 4-1 victory over the Atlanta Braves before a crowd of 17,606 (plus 5,548 Kid Glove tickets) at Great American Ball Park.

• Box score
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

The Reds move to three games over .500 for the first time all year at 22-19.

The Reds remained one half game behind the first-place St. Louis Cardinals, who rallied to beat the San Diego Padres 4-3 Monday.

Drew Stubbs hit a home run in the first, and then Mike Leake, Zack Cozart and Stubbs hit consecutive shots in the fourth.

“You can’t depend on them,” Baker said of the home runs. “But you sure can score quickly with them. That was a great night for Leake. He was aggressive. He had his command. He was very good tonight.”

Leake (1-5) put together his second straight quality start for his first win of the season. He pitched eight innings and allowed one run on two hits. He struck out six and walked one. He retired 14 straight at one point.

He’s lowered his ERA nearly two full runs to 5.32 over two outings. He’s allowed two earned runs over 15 innings in those starts.

“I’m just attacking, going after hitters and not worrying about who’s in the box,” Leake said. “It’s nice to have a little attitude like I have the last two outings. I was just inconsistent. I finally sucked it up. I think I’m going in the right direction.”

“He had it going on tonight big time,” Baker said. “I’m just glad to see him get on the board (with a win) finally. It’s big for us, too. This is a big series against a very good team. It’s good to come home from New York and start off 1-0 at home.”

Stubbs gave the Reds a 1-0 lead with a home run in the first. Stubbs was out front on the pitch but still lifted it into the left field seats.

Former Red Juan Francisco tied it in the second with a homer in the Reds’ bullpen for his fourth of the year.

“It kind of (ticked) me off, giving it up to him of all people,” Leake said.

But the Reds unleashed some serious thunder with two outs in the fourth. Leake hit a 1-2 pitch out to left-center for his first career home run.

“I knew it would come eventually,” he said. “It was nice to get it off someone I knew.”

Leake didn’t savor the home run on his trip around the bases. He sprinted.

“I’m not a fan of the slow jogs,” he said.

Cozart followed with his fourth of the season three pitches later. The ball landed in nearly the same spot as Leake’s.

“Leake was raking,” Cozart said. “I’m not going to go up and look bad.”

Stubbs worked the count full then launched one to right center for his second of the night and fifth of the year.

“That was pretty special,” Stubbs said. “Someone asked me earlier if it’s contagious or a little bit of luck. It’s some of both. I think whenever you see the guys in front of you hit homers, it kind of amps you up to do it yourself.”

It was the first time the Reds have gone back-to-back-to-back since Chris Heisey, Votto and Bruce did it in Colorado on Sept. 10, 2011.

Leake was pitching pretty well, too. He went 1-2-3 in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth. He retired 14 in a row, in fact, before Dan Uggla doubled with one out in the seventh.

Leake was pulled after the eighth inning and 98 pitches.

With new closer Aroldis Chapman unavailable after pitching three of four days, right-hander Jose Arredondo started the ninth. He retired the first two but he was lifted in favor of former closer Sean Marshall after walking Dan Uggla and Brian McCannhttp://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120521/SPT04/305210105/Reds-hit-homers-down-Braves-4-1?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Reds
Mike Leake pitched awesome, and even did it with his bat and hit his first career HR.

That HR was also part of a back to back to back followed by Cozart & Stubbs.