Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Worst to Best coaches in the NBA for 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know we had fun with making list before and since Rivals have been so die as of late.
I do a lot of reading and studying about coaches. This is my list.

IMO: NBA Coaches Ranking for 2012 season.

30. Phil Silas - Charlotte Bobcats
29. Monty Williams - New Orleans Hornets
28. Alvin Gentry - Phoenix Suns (just never been a fan)
27. Lawrence Frank - Detroit Pistons
26. Kevin McHale - Houston Rockets
25. Byron Scott - Cleveland Cavaliers (always thought overrated)
24. Scott Skiles - Milwaukee Bucks
23. Dwane Casey - Toronto Raptors
22. Mark Jackson - Golden State Warriors
21. Tyrone Corbin - Utah Jazz (just not much of a fan of him)
20. Avery Johnson - New Jersey Nets
19. Stan Van Gundy - Orlando Magic (headache)
18. Paul Westphal - Sacramento Kings
17. Larry Drew - Atlanta Hawks
16. Flip Saunders - Washington Wizards
15. Frank Vogel - Indiana Pacers
14. Mike Brown - L.A. Lakers
13. Vinny Del ***** - L.A. Clippers
12. Doug Collins - Philadelphia 76ers
11. Nate McMillan - Portland Trail Blazers
10. Erik Spoelstra - Miami Heat
9. Lionel Hollins - Memphis Grizzlies
8. Rick Adelman - Minnesota T'wolves (always been a fan never out of my top10)
7. Rick Carlisle - Dallas Mavericks (good job with a team that didn't care)
6. Scott Brooks - Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Mike Woodson - New York Knicks
4. Doc Rivers - Boston Celtics
3. Greg Popovick - San Antonio Spurs
2. Tom Thibodeau - Chicago Bulls
1. George Karl - Denver Nuggets (don't know how many coaches would have been that good with that team)
Cant see how you would put Thibodeau at number 2.
He loses his star and he has no answer in the playoffs.
His team had a total meltdown.
Albeit, D Rose is a beast and any team would have struggled, but the bulls just looked silly.
ekff Wrote:I know we had fun with making list before and since Rivals have been so die as of late.
I do a lot of reading and studying about coaches. This is my list.

IMO: NBA Coaches Ranking for 2012 season.

30. Phil Silas - Charlotte Bobcats
29. Monty Williams - New Orleans Hornets
28. Alvin Gentry - Phoenix Suns (just never been a fan)
27. Lawrence Frank - Detroit Pistons
26. Kevin McHale - Houston Rockets
25. Byron Scott - Cleveland Cavaliers (always thought overrated)
24. Scott Skiles - Milwaukee Bucks
23. Dwane Casey - Toronto Raptors
22. Mark Jackson - Golden State Warriors
21. Tyrone Corbin - Utah Jazz (just not much of a fan of him)
20. Avery Johnson - New Jersey Nets
19. Stan Van Gundy - Orlando Magic (headache)
18. Paul Westphal - Sacramento Kings
17. Larry Drew - Atlanta Hawks
16. Flip Saunders - Washington Wizards
15. Frank Vogel - Indiana Pacers
14. Mike Brown - L.A. Lakers
13. Vinny Del ***** - L.A. Clippers
12. Tom Thibodeau - Chicago Bulls
11. Nate McMillan - Portland Trail Blazers
10. Erik Spoelstra - Miami Heat
9. Lionel Hollins - Memphis Grizzlies
8. Rick Adelman - Minnesota T'wolves (always been a fan never out of my top10)
7. Rick Carlisle - Dallas Mavericks (good job with a team that didn't care)
6. Scott Brooks - Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Mike Woodson - New York Knicks
4.Doug Collins - Philadelphia 76ers
3. Doc Rivers - Boston Celtics
2.Greg Popovick - San Antonio Spurs
1. George Karl - Denver Nuggets (don't know how many coaches would have been that good with that team)

Fixed some things for you
Westphal no longer coaches the Kings.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Cant see how you would put Thibodeau at number 2.
He loses his star and he has no answer in the playoffs.
His team had a total meltdown.
Albeit, D Rose is a beast and any team would have struggled, but the bulls just looked silly.

He lost his star along time ago and still got the #1 seed... Thibodeau did a GREAT job coaching a team full of role players.

You let any team lose their superstar for 20 games or so and see if they can still get #1 seed.
Worst: Spoelstra
Best: Popovich
ekff Wrote:He lost his star along time ago and still got the #1 seed... Thibodeau did a GREAT job coaching a team full of role players.

You let any team lose their superstar for 20 games or so and see if they can still get #1 seed.

Regular season means NOTHING in the NBA! You look at records of teams against each other in the regular season, and then you get sweeps in the playoffs! No, what Thib's did in the regular season with his star OUT - only guaranteed him a monumental flop in the postseason! There are regular season coaches, then there are those who EARN their money in the playoffs!
Stardust Wrote:Regular season means NOTHING in the NBA! You look at records of teams against each other in the regular season, and then you get sweeps in the playoffs! No, what Thib's did in the regular season with his star OUT - only guaranteed him a monumental flop in the postseason! There are regular season coaches, then there are those who EARN their money in the playoffs!

WRONG... It does mean something, just ask the teams that don't make the playoffs.

Now if every team made the playoffs every year then you can say regular season don't mean anything.

Thib is a great coach.... IMO: he has the most overrated "superstar" anyways...

Thib was coach of the year for a reason.
ekff Wrote:WRONG... It does mean something, just ask the teams that don't make the playoffs.

Now if every team made the playoffs every year then you can say regular season don't mean anything.

Thib is a great coach.... IMO: he has the most overrated "superstar" anyways...

Thib was coach of the year for a reason.

Uh - NO! In a league that half the teams make the playoffs (16 make it, 14 don't), there is ONE reason and ONE REASON only! Those teams who don't make it have TERRIBLE players! Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, and Jesus could not have coached Bobcats, Cavs, Wizards, Rockets or Kings to the playoffs!
^
:truestory:
Dusty, I disagree.

Maybe I am a little biased but look at the Kings teams that Rick Adelman coached. They had one Superstar: Chris Webber. Everyone else was a role player. They were great at their roles: Christie (defense), Divac (leadership), Bibby (distributor and somewhat-scorer), Peja (insane shooter), and Bobby Jackson (6th man scoring and energy).

Put a regular coach on that team, they win 25 games.

There are 7 coaches that can make a roster significantly better, the rest are place-holders.
How in the world do you have McMillan over coaches like Vogel,Corbin,Collins, Del *****? Vogel got the Pacers all the way to the 3 seed and 40+ wins, and Corbin got the Jazz into the playoffs which hasnt happen in years. McMillian didnt even make it halfway through the 2012 season.
I do agree with you on Coach Thibodeau, he did a great job this season with all the injuries his team dealt with and still manged to get the #1 seed. Coach Thib is deff one the best coaches in the NBA IMO too, he is one of few that has defense as their main focus.
LWC Wrote:Dusty, I disagree.

Maybe I am a little biased but look at the Kings teams that Rick Adelman coached. They had one Superstar: Chris Webber. Everyone else was a role player. They were great at their roles: Christie (defense), Divac (leadership), Bibby (distributor and somewhat-scorer), Peja (insane shooter), and Bobby Jackson (6th man scoring and energy).

Put a regular coach on that team, they win 25 games.

There are 7 coaches that can make a roster significantly better, the rest are place-holders.

Sorry LWC, but Webber would NEVER be considered a Superstar. I'll give you a star, but good lord, there is no way he deserves elite status of Superstar, or HOF'er. He was a Robin to anyone else's Batman, and unfortunately the Kings never had a Batman! Don't argue it with stats, because he got stats due to no one else on that Roster being good enough to get them otherwise.
This list is funny. If you do a lot of reading and studying you need to read and study more. You have half the coaches that didnt make the whole season higher than coaches who lead the team to the playoffs...how is that being a top coach?
^ Though I agree with your line of thinking, I still say it's the players who lead teams to the playoffs. It's coaches that win playoff games.
Stardust Wrote:Sorry LWC, but Webber would NEVER be considered a Superstar. I'll give you a star, but good lord, there is no way he deserves elite status of Superstar, or HOF'er. He was a Robin to anyone else's Batman, and unfortunately the Kings never had a Batman! Don't argue it with stats, because he got stats due to no one else on that Roster being good enough to get them otherwise.

Really? Just make a claim and tell someone else not to refute it with proof? Sounds like your speaking politics, lol.

Name 5 players that have carried teams THAT bad to being the 2nd best team in the NBA for that long. (I believe they were the best team at least one of those years, but I wont get into the referee debate)
Just for the sake of facts, Webber averaged 21, 10 and 4 for his career. I will not say that he is a Hall-of-Famer for now, (though he should be, EVERYBODY gets in the basketball hall), but he was a Superstar in his time.
Stardust Wrote:^ Though I agree with your line of thinking, I still say it's the players who lead teams to the playoffs. It's coaches that win playoff games.

Oh I understand that point to...I think its more players than coaching the regluar season to but here is my point how did McMillan do the 11th best coaching job and Saunders do the 17th best when neither made it through the entire season?...They did better than larry drew who got the 5th seed in the east? they did better than frank vogel who got the 3rd seed in the east? Alvin Gentry does 3rd worst job in the nba and with the talent his team has was still in the playoff race untill the last night of the regular season. Spoelstra a top 10 coach? come on hes one of the worst. My 11 year old daughter could have this team completing in the nba with that talent.
MVP2 Wrote:How in the world do you have McMillan over coaches like Vogel,Corbin,Collins, Del *****? Vogel got the Pacers all the way to the 3 seed and 40+ wins, and Corbin got the Jazz into the playoffs which hasnt happen in years. McMillian didnt even make it halfway through the 2012 season.

Jazz missed the playoffs once!
lol
LWC Wrote:Just for the sake of facts, Webber averaged 21, 10 and 4 for his career. I will not say that he is a Hall-of-Famer for now, (though he should be, EVERYBODY gets in the basketball hall), but he was a Superstar in his time.

It was the Kings for goodness sake, Juwan Howard could have had those numbers if he played for the Kings....:biggrin:
LWC Wrote:Really? Just make a claim and tell someone else not to refute it with proof? Sounds like your speaking politics, lol.

Name 5 players that have carried teams THAT bad to being the 2nd best team in the NBA for that long. (I believe they were the best team at least one of those years, but I wont get into the referee debate)

That was the NBA deadperiod, they were so bad they had to count on referees to help them win (or lose) games.... Wink
^Instigating.

Since you are trolling, I will avoid the thread for the time being Wink
The regular season is nothing more than a bad pick up game