Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County Opening
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Bear_Paw Wrote:I have to kind of wonder out loud if this job had been posted earlier if Hicks or Happy Osborne would have had an interest.

Billy Hicks should at least have had the opportunity to turn it down.
I know more about the situation than most of you black bear fans!!! Times are changing in Harlan Co. The top priority sports has gotten over the past few years is over and they should be. New superindentent will try to balance academics and sports the way it should be.
I agree that Coach Hicks should have the opportunity to turn this job down, but it seems from the outside looking in that the Scott County situation would be hard to beat. A tough region, but a great coaching situation.
The name of the new coach won't change that much. Just a Jr. wil be the only name change.
I heard its jones son to take over from a good source in the 14th region.
Too bad HC is in the 13th haha.

I would say Jones will be the favorite but I am still hearing lots of support for Nolan.

Someone mentioned Coldiron I would imagine he will sniff around but will not get much of a chance.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Does one have to have a degree to be a head coach? just saying, I am not sure of the educational status of Michael but he has served as the drug prevention director at HC since the school opened it's doors. This young man has more than paid his dues to be ready to take this step, if some feathers get ruffled along the way, sorry but he is ready and I think best suited to get this group over the top.

NO!
Looks like Coach Jones has reconsidered and will be back next season............
Harlan County Sports: Basketball: Jones decides to remain as HCHS basketball coach
Monday, May 21
Jones decides to remain as HCHS basketball coach

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

Bob Howard has one less item on his to-do list this summer, and he couldn't be happier.

Howard confirmed Monday that Harlan County High School boys basketball coach Mike Jones had reconsidered his decision to step down.

"After careful consideration, Mike Jones will continue coaching at Harlan County High School," Howard said. "I'm very pleased with his decision to remain as coach. We've discussed this for quite a while and I'm pleased he has decided to return for the 2012-2013 season."

Jones ranks among the state's most successful coaches with a record of 574-231 in 26 seasons at Cawood, Jackson County, Todd Central, Harlan, Clay County and Harlan County. With a record of 369-128 at three Harlan County schools, Jones appears to be the all-time leader in wins in the county.

Jones was selected as the first boys basketball coach at HCHS in 2008 and led the Black Bears to a 79-41 mark in four years, including four trips to the regional tournament and a district championship in 2010. The Bears improved each year, going from 13-15 in 2009 to 19-10 in 2010, 20-10 in 2011 and 27-6 last year.

With four starters and all their key reserves returning, including an unbeaten freshman team that won the regional title and a 16-1 junior varsity squad, the Bears will likely be ranked No. 1 in the 13th Region when the preseason polls come out next fall.
I'm sure that is welcome news for the Bears.
Poor academics? I've yet to hear about that from HC. This thread is about Coach Jones, not academics. Yes, I do agree that football is above the other sports, but I'm not going to get into that.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Poor academics? I've yet to hear about that from HC. This thread is about Coach Jones, not academics. Yes, I do agree that football is above the other sports, but I'm not going to get into that.

Go ahead and air it out big guy. You must be going to list all the stuff f'ball gate money funds out there.
Pages: 1 2