Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Q & A | Whitefield Academy's Cameron Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...le&avis=B2

Cameron Smith tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee last October and missed all but one game of his senior season in basketball. He wasn’t ready to play baseball until the team’s fifth game this spring. In helping Whitefield Academy to a 15-11 record, the 5-foot-8, 205-pound Smith has batted .290 with 20 hits in 69 at bats. He’s 5-1 as a pitcher with 56 strikeouts in 402/3 innings. He has allowed 33 hits, 16 runs (13 earned) and has walked 13 for a 2.24 ERA. He holds the school record for most career wins (16) and most strikeouts in a season (88 in 62 innings last year when he was 8-3 and had a 1.91 ERA).

The Courier-Journal: What happened when you injured your knee?

Smith: It was at our first day of basketball practice. I jumped for a layup and my knee twisted on me. A week later, my knee popped out. That was my right push-off knee. I was thinking I had 5½ months of rehab, but Dr. Stacie Grossfeld had me back in four months. When I’m in a game it doesn’t bother me, but I have to wear a knee brace.

C-J: Did you get in any basketball games as a senior?

Smith: One. I played Senior Night against Portland Christian, but it was limited. As soon as I got the ball the coach wanted me to shoot. He said he didn’t put me in there not to shoot. I went 2 for 15 on three-pointers.

C-J: You’re ambidextrous, aren’t you?

Smith: My mom said I used to throw left-handed, but when I went to my dad’s house I had a glove for a right-hander there so I learned to throw right-handed. I throw and hit right-handed now, but sometimes I eat left-handed.

C-J: How big was your 4-3 win at Kentucky Country Day on Tuesday?

Smith: Pretty big because they are our biggest rival. They pitched Will Smith, and he’s their best player. I got one hit, a single, in four at-bats. (KCD beat Smith’s school 3-0 in the All ‘A’ Seventh Region final earlier in the season).

C-J: What have been your biggest thrills in baseball?

Smith: I pitched a five-inning no-hitter against Fern Creek, and we went to the All ‘A’ state tournament in Lexington my sophomore year. We lost to Lexington Christian 9-4 in the semifinals. I got a save in our first-round game against Ballard Memorial.