Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If you were coach....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you were a high school coach...

....would you allow a player to return to your team after quitting??

I'd just like to see how our members feel about this topic.
Please keep it civil and leave specific real-life situations out of this.
:argue: Ultimately it would be up to their teammates to decide yay or nay. I myself would say no,with one exception, if he/she has a tramatic event in their personal life (death in the family, divorce and parents really putting preasure on them to be the favorite parent) something in these lines I would have to look at it real hard weather to vote them back on the team, and they would have to be a team member that is an asset. Not nessecerly as a player, but someone that does not hurt team spirit. :wave:
According to the reason. If he just quit to quit..HECK NO!
it depends on why they left and a team vote.
I would have to take in consideration the reason that this young person quit the team. If I decided to let Him/Her back on the team, then the team would have a say so in the decision. Not the final say so, just input.
Depends on why he quit in the first place. Team vote - but I would have the power to release him again if I felt his attitude or enthusiasm was detrimental to the team.
Kids make mistakes, high school is a learning experience so I'd let the kid return to the team if I felt his attitude had changed. However, there would be several fitness workouts for him/her to prove just how bad they wanted back on the team.
Yeah
2000PHS Wrote:Kids make mistakes, high school is a learning experience so I'd let the kid return to the team if I felt his attitude had changed. However, there would be several fitness workouts for him/her to prove just how bad they wanted back on the team.

i say that would be what i would do
It would depend on the reason they quit and the terms they left under.
Nary....
It just depends on the case......
it would be a situation like on coach carter.. he would have to work his ass off for me to prove that he really wnated to play.. but no matter how good or who he was, he wouldn't start.. i don't care if he was a senior and all i had for backup was a freshman with mediocre talent.
I guess it depends on why they quit, but I really can't think of a good reason. A kid has to be coachable
I keep hearing it depends on the reason....
what is a good reason for a player to abandon his team and his teammates???
What if a player just gets ticked off and quits??
crazytaxidriver Wrote:it would be a situation like on coach carter.. he would have to work his ass off for me to prove that he really wnated to play.. but no matter how good or who he was, he wouldn't start.. i don't care if he was a senior and all i had for backup was a freshman with mediocre talent.

that summed it up
fox sports Wrote:I keep hearing it depends on the reason....

there really isn't any "good reason" for quitting a team, but like I said, kids make mistakes and it is a learning experience so if they proved to me they wanted back on the team( lots of fitness workouts) then I'd let them back on.
must run a whole lot
Maybe, but team gets input . i agree about the Coach Carter workouts. That would show if they really wanted to play.
:dontthink No way I let a player quit then come back!!! If they quit they quit no excuses no exceptions!!! In case of sickness or a death in the family you give the time they need to get well or grieve,but you also let them know you expect them to return in a timely manner.If a kid did not want to play and quit the first time what makes you think he won't quit the second time? This could lead to every player quitting at one time or another over silly things and there is no way you could have any stability on a team where players are aloud to quit and come back.This is also a life lesson for kids.You can not quit a job one week then come back the next!!! They need to be held acountable for their actions and face the results of their actions. I don't want to seem like a jerk,but we can't instill quitting in children.
If it was for family reasons or something like that i might make the acception but make them work extra hard. However if they just quit for no reason then i would laugh in their face and say better luck next time bub!
Absolutely a team decision, but as the coach, I would also have a vote as well as all assistants, manager ect.... a team decision, anonymous ballots, I get to decide in the event of a tie.
fox sports Wrote:I keep hearing it depends on the reason....

What if the kid suffered a loss of a parent or sibling. What if the home situation deteriorates so much that the kid has to quit. There are legitimate reasons, but before they are let back on the team, the team would have to want them back, and then he would have to prove they wanted to be there, and then they would have to earn any playing time.
Can I quit my job then come back if I want. We must teach these kids more than just bball. They need to learn some life lessons as well. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but overall I think you quit your gone
For me it would ultimately be up to the team. If the kids on the team were willing to accept him back and not hold it against him, then I might consider it. Also depends on the reson he quit. I believe there are a couple legit reasons that might fall out of the players control.
Only for some very rare or unusual personal matters beyond the kids control would I make an exception, but it would be more like a leave of absense in that case instead of quitting. If a kid just quits he should be gone!
EKY Sportster Wrote:Only for some very rare or unusual personal matters beyond the kids control would I make an exception, but it would be more like a leave of absense in that case instead of quitting. If a kid just quits he should be gone!
I agree with the leave of absence. If you quit..you would know up front that returning that year was not a option....next year you could try out with the others.
Yeah i think the team would have to decide on that one