Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 2 Boyd Co 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Feeling Devilish
Powell’s pitching pushes Russell past Boyd County
Rocky Stanley
The Independent The Daily Independent Wed May 09, 2012, 12:22 AM EDT

FLATWOODS — Mallory Powell’s strong pitching and Hope Parsley’s first career walk-off hit produced a big win for Russell’s softball team Tuesday.

Powell, a sophomore, went the distance and limited Boyd County’s potent lineup to four singles. She worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the top of the eighth, then Parsley lined a single with the bases full in the bottom of the inning for a 2-1 victory.

“I can’t lie, I was nervous when I got up there,” Parsley said. “Boyd County is always a big rivalry. It felt good after not getting a hit my first three at-bats. It’s my first time (for a walk-off hit).”

Boyd County entered the game with a 20-7 record and four-game winning streak.

“It’s a great win for us,” Parsley said. “We’ve played good this season, not great. This was definitely a confidence builder.”

The Lady Devils are happy to have Powell on the squad this season after she played tennis instead the past three springs.

Powell has been taking pitching lessons and is gradually building up her strength. Tuesday’s outing rated among her best this season, especially considering the opponent.

“I got back into pitching this year and have been working hard,” Powell said. “I realized I missed it. I feel like I’m getting stronger every week.”

Powell finished with four strikeouts and did not issue a walk until the seventh inning. She retired 15 consecutive batters after allowing Kaitlin Brown’s single to start the game.

“She’s incredible,” Parsley said of Powell. “With more experience, Mallory is just going to get better.”

Powell credited Russell’s defense for playing a key role Tuesday. Third baseman Hannah Carter and center fielder Jorden Gross took away potential Boyd County hits in the third and fourth inning.

The Lady Lions pulled even at 1-1 in the sixth inning on Bri Crooks’ RBI single and still had the bases jammed with no outs. But Parsley, playing first base, caught Taylor Wheeler’s line drive and threw to Carter for a double play. Powell got the final out on a grounder.

Boyd County threatened again in the eighth as Taylor Newsome led off with a single for her second consecutive hit. The Lady Lions went on to load the bases with two outs, but Powell retired dangerous Emily Stewart to keep the score tied.

Russell (15-10) scored in the eighth after Hannah Irvine replaced starter Lora Thompson in the circle for Boyd County.

Powell started the rally with a single. A Boyd County error and Carter’s third hit of the game loaded the bases with one out to set the stage for Parsley.

“I’m disappointed we lost, but it was a great game ... two good teams battling hard,” Boyd County coach Geoff Stewart said. “Baserunning mistakes and a lack of execution getting some bunts down hurt us, but give all the credit to Russell. That pitcher did a nice job. She is going to be a dandy.”

Stewart also had high praise for Carter. The sophomore singled sharply three times, walked and handled five fielding chances without a mistake.

“Hannah Carter is one of the better players in our region,” Stewart said. “She’s savvy. Tonight, she almost single-handedly beat us with her offense and defense.”

Russell scored in the first as Arden Gross doubled, Carter singled and Boyd County made a throwing error.

Gross, the Lady Devils’ junior catcher, also singled and threw out a Boyd County runner attempting to take third after a pitch in the dirt.

Russell had scoring threats in the third and fourth innings, but Boyd County responded both times with double plays.

Thompson worked six scoreless innings after the Lady Devils took an early 1-0 lead.

BOYD CO. 000 001 00 — 1 4 2

RUSSELL 100 000 01 — 2 9 1

Thompson, Irvine (8) and Roark; Powell and A. Gross. W—Powell. L—Irvine. 2B—A. Gross ®, Baldridge (R

This was a tremendous game to watch, the Powell kid really threw well.

Congrats to Russell