Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Noel Makes News... Not So Good News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nerlens Noel is back in the news again...

No, not for his fantastic shot-blocking abilities or his fashionable hair. Instead, it looks like the NCAA is continuing to investigate his recruitment for the past few years, centering around the question of his eligibility.

According to Everett High School principal Louis Baldi, the meeting with two NCAA investigation representatives last roughly an hour and fifteen minutes.

“I didn’t get any sense,” Baldi said when asked about the conversation’s tone. “It was a conversation, very collegial. That was really it. They didn’t ask me any investigative-type questions.”

Baldi said the N.C.A.A. officials asked him not to reveal the specifics of the conversation, which is common practice.

The NCAA is also investigating Noel's relationship with a former substitute teacher who may have ties to sports agent Andy Miller.

http://www.nationofblue.com/noel-makes-n...ews-11134/
NYTimes.com’s Pete Thamel reports that the NCAA sent two members of its enforcement staff to Massachusetts this week to inquire about Nerlens Noel, the country’s top basketball recruit who recently committed to play at Kentucky.

From Thamel’s story:

Cindi Merrill and Frank Smith, assistant directors of enforcement with the N.C.A.A., went to Everett High School on Tuesday to meet with school officials about the 6-foot-10 Noel, who spent his freshman and sophomore years there. Merrill and Smith specialize in basketball-related issues.

The Everett High School principal, Louis Baldi, said the meeting lasted an hour and 15 minutes and centered on “concerns we had as adults” for Noel. He said the conversation was similar to one he had with a reporter in February about Noel’s background and the people surrounding him.

“I didn’t get any sense,” Baldi said when asked about the conversation’s tone. “It was a conversation, very collegial. That was really it. They didn’t ask me any investigative-type questions.”

Baldi said the N.C.A.A. officials asked him not to reveal the specifics of the conversation, which is common practice.

The enforcement officials also called Leo Papile, Noel’s former coach with the Boston Amateur Basketball Club, but were unable to connect with him.

A person who has been briefed on the N.C.A.A.’s inquiry said the topics officials were planning on inquiring about included Noel’s relationship with Chris Driscoll, a former Providence assistant who is close to Noel. Driscoll was barred this year from campus at the Tilton School, the New Hampshire boarding school where Noel has spent the past two years and is completing his final year of high school.

That’s just an excerpt from Thamel’s story, which goes on to say that officials also are looking into Noel’s relationship with Errol Randolph, a former substitute teacher at Everett High School, as well as Noel’s finances, according to the person briefed on the inquiry.http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2012/...ruit-noel/
I believe this sort of inquiry is standard procedure.

Hope nothing comes from it.
judgementday Wrote:I believe this sort of inquiry is standard procedure.

It is, especially when the recruitment of the player in question was nationally popular. It's Clearinghouse's job to make sure their eligibility is in good standing.
Lol, If its a practice to check all high profile recruits why do we only hear stuff like this when they go to kentucky.
This sort of thing no doubt is going to become "standard procedure" for UK's recruits. The NCAA and the media are going to go to extraordinary lengths to try to find ANY justification for blocking UK recruits, and hopefully discouraging payers from considering UK.
^ Really, you think so? That is just another UK fan posing the "Oh My, MY, the NCAA is out to get me" ridiculous comment! Yeah, the NCAA is out to burn UK's ass, all the while UK's own AD sits on the "Infractions Committee". Some people just have no clue how the hell the NCAA even works. They think it's truly this THIRD PARTY entity that has total jurisdiction. They have no clue that it's 100% college's monitoring other colleges!

[Image: Boring_main.jpg]
Stardust Wrote:^ Really, you think so? That is just another UK fan posing the "Oh My, MY, the NCAA is out to get me" ridiculous comment! Yeah, the NCAA is out to burn UK's ass, all the while UK's own AD sits on the "Infractions Committee". Some people just have no clue how the hell the NCAA even works. They think it's truly this THIRD PARTY entity that has total jurisdiction. They have no clue that it's 100% college's monitoring other colleges!

Yes, we're all so well aquainted with how well loved UK is by all
the other college programs. And how greatly they desire that
UK's program succeed. If the NCAA were a trulky independent
body, then maybe UK targeted rules wouldn't crop up all the time,
such as the change to disallow the h.s. events on collegiate home
courts, or the various changes that have been legislated that target
UK's midnight madness events, or the "Wildcat Lodge" rule that
changed athletic dorms for athletes.

Your naivete is touching.
^ Again, another uneducated post! Yes, it is a completely idiotic thought that the UK Athletic Director, who sits in one EVERY one of those meetings is going to just let all the other schools run UK through the gammit needlessly! No, UK is not a target, otherwise all hell would be raised by the schools INSIDER!

I'll take being naive versus your complete ignorance:yawn:!
Duke breaks roles on contacting recruits when they shouldn't and the NCAA says lets change the rule. Duke have had parents receive high paying jobs from boosters and nothing from the NCAA. Knight from Indiana chokes and beats his players nothing from the NCAA. Wooden from UCLA new and said his players received money and nothing from the NCAA. What gives?
I expected to see stuff like this when Calipari came and I expect to continue to see it. A lot of recruits ranked this high usually will come with some baggage. Given that Calipari recruits a lot of these types of players, it's just something that we're going to have to deal with for UK. Some of them are high risk players.
Guys calm down, this is standard procedure. the only reason we're hearing about it is because Noel's recruitment was made public. These are some of the things that come with being a top recruit. You think people want to read about Jimmy 2 Shoes recruitment to Stetson? No, but they want to hear about UK's top recruit because UK fans want to talk about him most of the time.
The best part for us......we have highly enough touted recruits that this can be an issue.
I'd take having a bunch of good recruits every year and 1 or 2 being ineligible every now and then to have the Billy Clyde recruits we were getting.
He'll be fine. The kid jumped up a class, of course they are going to look into it.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Duke breaks roles on contacting recruits when they shouldn't and the NCAA says lets change the rule. Duke have had parents receive high paying jobs from boosters and nothing from the NCAA. Knight from Indiana chokes and beats his players nothing from the NCAA. Wooden from UCLA new and said his players received money and nothing from the NCAA. What gives?

And UK's President (Todd) was on that committee, why don't we go back to our own to find out???
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The best part for us......we have highly enough touted recruits that this can be an issue.
I'd take having a bunch of good recruits every year and 1 or 2 being ineligible every now and then to have the Billy Clyde recruits we were getting.

Agreed! Used to be it were one or two five stars we were looking at and we were banking on them. I think mostly of our situation with Randolph Morris in 2004 and Patrick Patterson in 2007. Had they not come we would have been in deep trouble at the time, especially with Patterson. We didn't have any second choices had they decided not to come.
^
Im just happy were relevant again.
When you capture the #1 recruiting class consecutive years in a row it is going to draw attention in addition to the fact that if they did find a violation, it would be front page news so the media is going to report on it now to help build a story IMO.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Im just happy were relevant again.
:rockon: Amen! Preach on son!!! :rockon:
The only reason this is a story and was in the New York Times is because it was wrote by Pete Thamel, who has a severe hard on for Calipari. It is a joke at this point.
Stardust Wrote:^ Really, you think so? That is just another UK fan posing the "Oh My, MY, the NCAA is out to get me" ridiculous comment! Yeah, the NCAA is out to burn UK's ass, all the while UK's own AD sits on the "Infractions Committee". Some people just have no clue how the hell the NCAA even works. They think it's truly this THIRD PARTY entity that has total jurisdiction. They have no clue that it's 100% college's monitoring other colleges!

Nothing will come of this. This is not a true story.

ESPN is not out to get us, but that piece of shit Pete Thamel is, big time. He's the one that started all of this, and most other lies on our program and/or players/coaches.
Thamel is trying to get that Pullitzer the only way he knows how, through the 'Kentucky Shame' formula.