Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jason Couch New Head Coach at Shelby County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jason Couch is leaving Eastern to become the New Head Boy's Basketball Coach at Shelby County
Really......
Another good job is now open, who takes over Eastern?
jeff morrow wuold have to be the front runner at Louisville Eastern
GREAT HIRE by the folks at SCHS
I agree, great hire for Shelby County. Their last coach was an idiot. They probably would have won a couple more games without him.
Big time hit for Shelby Co.
Maybe the 8th Region looks a little easier than Ballard, Trinity and J-Town.
The Rockets sports program needed a big lift and they got it.
Old Henry Man Wrote:Big time hit for Shelby Co.
Maybe the 8th Region looks a little easier than Ballard, Trinity and J-Town.
The Rockets sports program needed a big lift and they got it.

I would say that is one of the main reasons he left. He said in his press conference he wanted the challenge of rebuilding a program. Also, a school with 17 regional titles and 2 state titles is pretty attractive.

Shelby County has some young talent, including one of the best guards in the region, Brian Wallace. With their new coach, they should be better next year. I don't know if they will ever be as good as they were, but they should improve over the next couple of years.
"He's a great math teacher" is how Mr. Moorman, a Shelby County High School teacher, helped intoduce Jason Couch, the new head boys' basketball coach. About 20 boys sat in the school library Thursday afternoon when Athletic Director Sally Zimmerman said Couch was selected from about 50 applicants. He comes after nine years at Eastern High School with a 200-86 record. Zimmerman said, "We have found the best. You deserve the best. So you've got the best."

Eastern High's website (in Jefferson County) reported: There had been a school record of seven consecutive 20-win seasons. The 2010-11 season was considered the best campaign in school history, finishing with a 33-3 record against the toughest schedule in the state, ending up beating the top five teams in the state tournament.

Couch was thrilled to accept the job to lead the Rockets, which he called "the most decorated team in the 8th Region. Shelby has produced so many great athletes. I consider this a great opportunity."

He told the basketball players present for the announcement that he had watched films before considering the job. "If we all work together, we can bring this team back to a competitive level," he said referring to the splitting of athletes when Martha Layne Collins High opened. "I was extremely impressed with what I saw and I would not have applied for this job if I didn't believe in you."

Couch made it clear, though, that his number-one role will be to "prepare you to be good citizens and provide you with life lessons that you take with you 20 years down the road."

He didn't promise the comeback would occur overnight for the Rockets. However, he did specify, "I will expect a lot out of you on and off the floor."

He plans to visit with Zimmerman Friday to map out summer camp plans at Centre College where former Rocket Greg Mason is coach and tournament shootouts at Hanover College. He understands some players are involved in two sports and commends them for that, mentioning how he had spoken with the baseball and football coaches already.

"I will do everything I can to make this transition easy," said the 40-year-old who was joined for the announcement by his wife, Katie, and daughters, Jacie, almost 3, and Ellie, 1. (More photos will be posted Thursday)

He met each player individually after saying, "Your school has entrusted me to get us back in the game and we can do that together."

http://www.shelby.kyschools.us/index.php...d=1:latest
One of Louisville’s most successful high school basketball coaches over the past decade, Jason Couch is leaving and will attempt to restore one of the state’s traditional powerhouses.

Couch, the head coach at Eastern the past nine seasons, was introduced Wednesday as the new boys’ basketball coach at Shelby County.

Couch is leaving an Eastern program that won two Seventh Region championships in the past four years for a Shelby County squad that has posted a combined 10-49 record over the past two seasons.

“There have been a lot of changes in the building at Eastern, and I’m not good with change,” said Couch, who replaces Rick Parsons at Shelby County. “There’s a new kind of culture in the building.”

Couch would not comment further on what changes led him to look for another job. Eastern has hired a new principal (Lana Kaelin) and athletic director (Anthony Howard) within the past five years.

Couch said the other draw is that Shelby County isn’t far from his home in eastern Jefferson County. He said his family eventually plans to move to Shelbyville but isn’t in a rush to do so.

“It’s 15 minutes from my house to Eastern and 25 minutes to Shelby County,” Couch said. “If I was going to coach somewhere else, I wanted to be somewhere close by.”

Couch replaced Doug Bibby as the Eagles’ coach in 2003 and posted a 203-86 record. His teams won three Louisville Invitational Tournament titles (2006, 2009, 2011) and reached the Sweet 16 in 2009 and 2011. His 2010-11 squad entered the state tournament as the heavy favorite but lost to eventual champion Christian County in the semifinals, finishing 33-3.

“Eastern was a good basketball program before I got there, and I think Eastern is a great program after we leave,” Couch said. “I’m extremely proud of what we accomplished on my watch – and not just on the floor. I think we usually produced some quality kids that left our program.”

Shelby County has 17 regional titles and two state championships (1966, 1978) in its history but hasn’t been the same since Collins opened in 2010 as the county’s second high school.

The Rockets won the Eighth Region title in 2010 but have posted records of 4-24 and 6-25 in the two seasons since then. They’re 0-7 all-time against Collins.

“It’s not much of a rivalry if one team always wins,” Couch said. “They’re the only other school in the county, so obviously we’ll try to make strides to be more competitive with them. And the way the (Eighth Region) is made up, if we can be competitive with Collins we should be competitive with most of the rest of the region.”

Howard, the Eastern AD, said the school will immediately begin accepting applications for Couch’s replacement. For more information contact Howard at (502) 485-8432.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/khs/201...t-eastern/
This is the type of hire that should have been made two years ago.....good for the kids that are still there, just work to get competitive.
In this situation, I hope your betting on the jockey, because you can't win the Derby riding a donkey. Shelby lacks the talent to be a regional contender, will have to be built from the bottom up.
Well, hell this a downgrade for Couch. Good luck
Couch is in over his head at shelby since Collins moved in he should have stayed at Eastern..