Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: You can charge this unforced IU-UK turnover mostly to Kentucky's Calipari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari tweeted early last season, “I’m the originator of playing anytime, anyplace, anywhere.”

Beyond the fact that he’s rewriting (not retweeting) history a bit with that claim (Denny Crum, among others, has more right to that trademark), Calipari now adds an asterisk with his unwillingness to continue a home-and-home series with Indiana.

Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere*

*Except Bloomington, Ind.

On Thursday IU athletic director Fred Glass released a statement saying the two-year contract between the rivals won’t be renewed because UK wants the games at neutral sites and IU wants to keep them in Assembly Hall and Rupp Arena.

It’s a silly standoff. Compromise, people. Play a couple of years at neutral sites with a 50-50 split, then a couple on campus. Mix it up. Keep everybody happy. It’s not rocket science. (Wait, can they play on the moon? First game in space, anyone?)

“We have a strong belief that this series should be played on campus,” IU coach Tom Crean said in a release.

UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart said of Calipari, “I don’t think he was really thrilled about going back to Bloomington, to be honest with you.”

The insistence on neutral courts doesn’t make it look like he was too thrilled about playing the Hoosiers in Rupp Arena next season, either. Calipari hasn’t lost in Rupp, and now he’s walking away from a game against a top-five visitor. I’m not doing that math, but you can bet plenty of IU fans will. Refuse to lose? Get ready for the “Refuse to play” T-shirts.

The onus of this is on Calipari, because IU was willing to bring its team and lofty expectations to Rupp Arena next season, and because, well, this is college basketball, and even if players no longer need to hang around campus very long because of online courses, it is nice to play a game on one every once in a while.

But this needs to be said for Calipari: The three-weekend stretch of Louisville, Indiana and North Carolina is more than most college programs dare to take on. And he has not ducked big games during his career.http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
Hoosiers may have officially cancelled it. Calapari will take the blame. Both sides are equally as guilty. Crean and his giant forehead will try and take the high ground. Stupidity from both sides.
Coach chicken shit at his best.
This article was wrote with red tinted glasses IMO. NCF, I must ask, did you watch the game last year? What I seen was that IU fans are a bunch of dumbasses for the most part(not all mind you), why endanger our players, coaches and fans by putting them in an environment with a bunch of punks and shit heads who will talk shit when they have a GIGANTIC numbers advantage, oh, and trample our players, and swear at women wearing UK shirts, and pour beer on other UK fans while security just stands and watches. If your calling Cal a chicken shit because he values player and fan safety over a game then so be it. We got a banner, O$U has constant unmet expectations.

Indiana couldn't handle BBN swarming neutral sites and outnumbering them, even in Indy. You know that's the reason they insisted on a home and home. At least Louisville and Kentucky can play a home and home because each fan base knows how to be civil human beings, not a pack of mangy dogs.
Yes I watched the game (replay) and Indiana fans are not the only ones to rush the court after a big win.

I guess this means each time a team beats coach chicken shit on the road and they rush the court he,coach chicken shit will not play them again.
NCF, did you even read the article? Indiana was the one that canceled NOT KENTUCKY! Coach Cal wanted the series to continue but at different locations besides a home and home (Indy & Rupp). Is there really anything wrong with wanting to change the venue? If Ohio State asked Michigan State if they wanted to change venue instead of doing a home and home, would you blame Michigan State for that?
geauxtigers75 Wrote:This article was wrote with red tinted glasses IMO. NCF, I must ask, did you watch the game last year? What I seen was that IU fans are a bunch of dumbasses for the most part(not all mind you), why endanger our players, coaches and fans by putting them in an environment with a bunch of punks and shit heads who will talk shit when they have a GIGANTIC numbers advantage, oh, and trample our players, and swear at women wearing UK shirts, and pour beer on other UK fans while security just stands and watches. If your calling Cal a chicken shit because he values player and fan safety over a game then so be it. We got a banner, O$U has constant unmet expectations.

Indiana couldn't handle BBN swarming neutral sites and outnumbering them, even in Indy. You know that's the reason they insisted on a home and home. At least Louisville and Kentucky can play a home and home because each fan base knows how to be civil human beings, not a pack of mangy dogs.
Kentucky fans are the epitome of civil human beings.
[Image: faf148c241bf8b090b0f6a70670019.jpg]
[Image: 05.jpg]
[Image: 824658.jpg]
[Image: KentuckyRioters.jpg]
Strikeout King Wrote:NCF, did you even read the article? Indiana was the one that canceled NOT KENTUCKY! Coach Cal wanted the series to continue but at different locations besides a home and home (Indy & Rupp). Is there really anything wrong with wanting to change the venue? If Ohio State had a rivalry going with lets say Michigan State and Ohio State wanted to change the venue instead of doing a home and home, would you blame Michigan State for that?

But the whole idea of wanting to change it is what stopped the series.
All we had to do was renew under the same stipulations and everyone wins.
Cal doesn't want to play in Bloomington.
Bottom line.
zaga_fan Wrote:Kentucky fans are the epitome of civil human beings.
[Image: faf148c241bf8b090b0f6a70670019.jpg]
[Image: 05.jpg]
[Image: 824658.jpg]
[Image: KentuckyRioters.jpg]

I bet her dad is glad all of those hands are covering her breasts. :devilflam
slut
Did NCF always spit this much hate?
zaga_fan Wrote:Did NCF always spit this much hate?

He didn't use to.
One thing for sure is that we have some crazy fans which I am proud of, but at least our fans don't try to make things miserable for the opposing fans coming to visit like IU did for us. Louisville or UNC come to town and they can at least walk in the arena without being cussed or spit at.

NCF is just spewing hate because he knows that the only thing OSU is good at is throwing away titles.
Have you all ever checked out the youtube videos of the dude from bell county that trashes on iu fans? he goes by casualgamerreed. look it up. its funny as hell.
The best part is an iu fan named hoosierlizz, who is hot as hell be the way, does the same to uk fans making fun of the dude.

Heres a couple

[YOUTUBE="Casual Gamer Reed. Youtubes #1 UK fan"]Z-OxyemOH_Q&feature[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Hoosier Lyzz IU's #1 IU fan"]qMCLUYaGKIU&list[/YOUTUBE]
zaga_fan Wrote:But the whole idea of wanting to change it is what stopped the series.
All we had to do was renew under the same stipulations and everyone wins.
Cal doesn't want to play in Bloomington.
Bottom line.

What is so wrong with playing on a neutral? Cal didn't want to play at neither Bloomington or Rupp. Is there really something wrong with that or are you all just hatin because you have nothing better to do?

Bring your all's team on down and let em play UK, oh wait you all are too chicken too
Strikeout King Wrote:What is so wrong with playing on a neutral? Cal didn't want to play at neither Bloomington or Rupp. Is there really something wrong with that or are you all just hatin because you have nothing better to do?

Bring your all's team on down and let em play UK, oh wait you all are too chicken too

L o L
I'm sure Cal was fine with playing at Rupp
I doubt it because it wouldn't have been fair to Indiana not that it would have really mattered but he did want to play on neutral court.

They could do like the story said play couple years on a neutral court and then go back to the home and home series.
Strikeout King Wrote:I doubt it because it wouldn't have been fair to Indiana not that it would have really mattered but he did want to play on neutral court.

They could do like the story said play couple years on a neutral court and then go back to the home and home series.

Neutral court games are stupid and always will be.
I would want half of my games involving my fans raising all sorts of various hell and the other half would involve my players going up against the same thing.

And since when do people get butthurt about storming the court after a buzzer beater?
I think it personifies college basketball.
zaga_fan Wrote:Neutral court games are stupid and always will be.
I would want half of my games involving my fans raising all sorts of various hell and the other half would involve my players going up against the same thing.

And since when do people get butthurt about storming the court after a buzzer beater?
I think it personifies college basketball.

how are they stupid? It doesn't give an advantage to anyone!

Schools do have a right to storm the court after a big win, many schools do it.

If they did play this year, Indiana would have came to Rupp.
zaga_fan Wrote:L o L
I'm sure Cal was fine with playing at Rupp

Stardust Wrote:University of Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari tweeted early last season, “I’m the originator of playing anytime, anyplace, anywhere.”

Beyond the fact that he’s rewriting (not retweeting) history a bit with that claim (Denny Crum, among others, has more right to that trademark), Calipari now adds an asterisk with his unwillingness to continue a home-and-home series with Indiana.

Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere*

*Except Bloomington, Ind.

On Thursday IU athletic director Fred Glass released a statement saying the two-year contract between the rivals won’t be renewed because UK wants the games at neutral sites and IU wants to keep them in Assembly Hall and Rupp Arena.

It’s a silly standoff. Compromise, people. Play a couple of years at neutral sites with a 50-50 split, then a couple on campus. Mix it up. Keep everybody happy. It’s not rocket science. (Wait, can they play on the moon? First game in space, anyone?)

“We have a strong belief that this series should be played on campus,” IU coach Tom Crean said in a release.

UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart said of Calipari, “I don’t think he was really thrilled about going back to Bloomington, to be honest with you.”

The insistence on neutral courts doesn’t make it look like he was too thrilled about playing the Hoosiers in Rupp Arena next season, either. Calipari hasn’t lost in Rupp, and now he’s walking away from a game against a top-five visitor. I’m not doing that math, but you can bet plenty of IU fans will. Refuse to lose? Get ready for the “Refuse to play” T-shirts.

The onus of this is on Calipari, because IU was willing to bring its team and lofty expectations to Rupp Arena next season, and because, well, this is college basketball, and even if players no longer need to hang around campus very long because of online courses, it is nice to play a game on one every once in a while.

But this needs to be said for Calipari: The three-weekend stretch of Louisville, Indiana and North Carolina is more than most college programs dare to take on. And he has not ducked big games during his career.http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p

Zaga read the BOLD!
Strikeout King Wrote:how are they stupid? It doesn't give an advantage to anyone!

Schools do have a right to storm the court after a big win, many schools do it.

If they did play this year, Indiana would have came to Rupp.

In the case of Kentucky, you are 100% wrong. UK fans gobble up tickets, especially games played in Louisville! No matter where a neutral court game is played, UK has a way of making those games home games. That's not UK's problem, however, I absolutely would never agree to play UK on a neutral site. If UK wanted to play, they would have to play me home and away!
Stardust Wrote:In the case of Kentucky, you are 100% wrong. UK fans gobble up tickets, especially games played in Louisville! No matter where a neutral court game is played, UK has a way of making those games home games. That's not UK's problem, however, I absolutely would never agree to play UK on a neutral site. If UK wanted to play, they would have to play me home and away!

Kentucky has probably the best fan base in the world, they follow their cats no matter where they go.
Strikeout King Wrote:Kentucky has probably the best fan base in the world, they follow their cats no matter where they go.

Exactly, soooooo, Neutral court games DON'T WORK!!!! They are not fair to the other team, thus, there is NO way that I would agree to neutral site games with UK
Stardust Wrote:Exactly, soooooo, Neutral court games DON'T WORK!!!! They are not fair to the other team, thus, there is NO way that I would agree to neutral site games with UK

I would if I was a visiting team. There's nothing wrong with it, they probably bring a lot of fans with them, not as many as UK but they would have their share of fans their
Strikeout King Wrote:I would if I was a visiting team. There's nothing wrong with it, they probably bring a lot of fans with them, not as many as UK but they would have their share of fans their

Take off the blinders for just a minute so you can read what YOU just posted and put yourself in IU's shoes.

With a home-and-home you are guaranteed your season ticket holders, student tickets, and the majority of the rest of the arena being decked out in hoosiers gear for one of the two games.
The other game will undoubtedly be in Kentucky's favor.

With two neutral site matchups you are guaranteed to be outnumbered in both games and, after you pay the venue and give them a cut of ticket sales and whatever else, you make less money than you would from one home game.

No one in their right mind would willingly put their team at that kind of a disadvantage, let alone against the "winningest program in history" or the defending national champions.
let me ask you this Zaga, if you was a coach and after a team knocked your team off and the fans rushed the floor and your players got hurt, would you want to keep going back to that same venue?
Strikeout King Wrote:let me ask you this Zaga, if you was a coach and after a team knocked your team off and the fans rushed the floor and your players got hurt, would you want to keep going back to that same venue?

Did someone get hurt?
Or are we talking hypothetically?
zaga_fan Wrote:Did someone get hurt?
Or are we talking hypothetically?

hypothtically
Strikeout King Wrote:hypothtically

Well - If you are at the top of the food chain on a yearly basis; any time you head into someone else's house you are looking at having them storm the court on you.

Also, if I was coaching Kentucky and I knew we had a shot to win every game and we should rarely lose then I wouldn't think about anyone storming the court. I would simply assume my team was ready to win the game and I wouldn't give it a thought.

BUT..
even without the above points being made.
Whether or not my players would be in danger if the court was stormed would be a non-issue when scheduling games.
so you wouldn't care if your players got hurt?
Pages: 1 2