Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan: Ashley Mullins signs with Cumberlands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Harlan star joins powerhouse Cumberlands program

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

With a roster dominated by former Division I players, University of the Cumberlands coach Melissa Irvin doesn't have to gamble on very many high school standouts to compete on a national level.

But after seeing Harlan forward Ashley Mullins play in the 13th Region Tournament a little over a year ago, Irvin knew she was the kind of player who could make an impact on her program.

Mullins, a 6-foot senior, signed with the University of the Cumberlands on Monday.

"We're very excited to get her," Irvin said. "I think she is one of these players who has been overlooked by bigger schools. I think her size and athletic ability has such an upside it's unbelievable."

Mullins ended her high school career as one of the top players in Harlan High School history, leading the Lady Dragons to three straight 13th Region All "A" Classic titles and a 52nd District championship in 2011.

"She really was one of those who got better each and every year," said Harlan athletic director Kevin Ball. "You could see signs of it in middle school that she had the potential to be a pretty good player. All of the sudden, she was a really good player. I think that was attributed to the coaches who worked with her and the fact of her work ethic. She got her early for practice and sometimes would stay late. She learned enough skills to be more of a threat than what you would think of as just a post player. She developed a well rounded game. It's attributed to a lot of factors, but mostly her hard work."

Harlan improved in each of Mullins' four years, going from 12-14 in 2009 to 17-12 in 2010, 18-13 in 2011 and 21-10 last season. Mullins averaged 20 points per game as a senior and was also one of the top rebounders in eastern Kentucky.

"I saw her last year during the regional tournament and started following her immediately," Irvin said. "She was the first player we offered this year. We had to bring in several, but she is one of the kids we wanted to get into her program."

Mullins' versatility caught Irvin's attention immediately. Unlike most players her size, Mullins is able to handle the ball in pressure situations and that skill will serve her well on the next level.

"She is so versatile," said Irvin, who has led 11 of her 15 teams at the Cumberlands to 20 wins or more. "We're going to play her at the four (power forward) and possibly move her out on the perimeter some throughout her career."

Mullins joins one of the top small college programs in the nation. The Patriots posted a 28-4 mark last year and ended the season ranked No. 6 in the NAIA poll.

The Patriots avenged one of the their losses by defeating Shawnee State 73-70 to claim their third Mid South Conference championship in four years.

A loss to Rogers State University in the first round of the NAIA Tournament ended the Patriots' season.

"Their school is very nice and they have what I wanted to do, which is physical therapy," Mullins said. "Their basketball program is amazing. I like to win, and they win. I hope to be part of that. Their girls were welcoming when I visited, and I felt it was the best fit."

The Patriots lose four of 11 players to graduation, including All-American Lauren Wombles, a former South Laurel standout.

Irvin said Mullins could see quite a bit of action for the Patriots as a freshman.

"I think she can compete for minutes immediately," she said. "We don't recruit high school players unless we think they can help us as freshmen."

Congrats to Mullins and good luck at the next level. I think they are getting a great player.
Saw this on WYMT a week or so ago. Congrats young lady and goodluck.
I think she will have a good impact on Cumberlands. Best of luck to her.