Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hubert Davis Joins North Carolina's Staff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
North Carolina coach Roy Williams had made it clear over the past few weeks that his new assistant coach would have Tar Heels ties.

Williams got his "first option" Wednesday in former UNC guard Hubert Davis, who has spent the past seven years as an ESPN college basketball analyst. The school announced the move in a statement Wednesday evening.

"I am elated that I can fill this spot with Hubert," Williams said in a prepared statement. "I helped recruit him to Carolina in 1988, coached him in the World University Games in 1991 and have always admired him on and off the court. I knew the day would eventually come when I would need to replace staff members as they moved on.

"For the last four or five years Hubert has always been on my mind in case a spot did come open. I didn't know if I could get him to come back, but I knew I wanted him to be the first option. Coaching is about teaching, relationships and passion and I feel Hubert is the perfect choice. Our student-athletes will benefit greatly from what he adds to our staff."

Davis, who helped the Tar Heels to a 102-37 record before a 12-year NBA career, replaces Jerod Haase, who left UNC to become head coach at UAB.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...tant-coach
I'm more excited to see who joins ESPN than see how Davis does at UNC.

I wonder if they'll finally get someone on set (besides jimmy SEC dykes) that can bring a good SEC persepective to the game instead of UK haters and ACC lovers.
If they add another person from the ACC or a UK hater such a Knight and Phelps, I may just start listening to the radio when i watch games.
It's about time he gets away from ESPN
That's a puzzling hire. ZERO coaching experience, and while he's not
awful, his television analysis isn't so brilliant you'd expect him to be
an asset to a staff coming in raw. And I don't think his name recognition
is much for recruits these days. He had a very undistinguished pro career.