Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Osborne returning to Kentucky, will be introduced at Montgomery Co.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Former Georgetown College coach Robert “Happy” Osborne is returning to the Bluegrass, this time to the high school level. On Wednesday, Osborne will be introduced as the new head coach at Montgomery County High School.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/Osb...48465.html
Welcome to the 10th region Happy.
Wonder why he didn't go after the Morehead State job??? He certainly had some teams over the years at Georgetown that would have taken Morehead or Eastern to the woodshed if they had played a regular season game. I remember one year when he only lost to Pitt and Florida State in scrimmage games by single digits, and those two programs were ranked in the top 20 that year. Seems like it would be a step down for a NAIA national champion coach to take a high school job.

On another note, Morehead will probably go after Kelly Wells, another NAIA national champion coach.
Agree on the Wells to Morehead possibility. Also if Happy is as good of recruiter in high school as he was a G'Town.....Look out!!!!! Hahaha .....Seriously good Luck Coach Osborne!!!!
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Wonder why he didn't go after the Morehead State job??? He certainly had some teams over the years at Georgetown that would have taken Morehead or Eastern to the woodshed if they had played a regular season game. I remember one year when he only lost to Pitt and Florida State in scrimmage games by single digits, and those two programs were ranked in the top 20 that year. Seems like it would be a step down for a NAIA national champion coach to take a high school job.

On another note, Morehead will probably go after Kelly Wells, another NAIA national champion coach.

This was all in the works before the MSU job came open. As far as MSU going after Coach Wells, I don't think they are going to "go after" anybody. From what I have been told by a current player and his parent, several quality applicants have contacted MSU.
Micro-Brew Wrote:Agree on the Wells to Morehead possibility. Also if Happy is as good of recruiter in high school as he was a G'Town.....Look out!!!!! Hahaha .....Seriously good Luck Coach Osborne!!!!

Confusedhh:
thecoacher Wrote:This was all in the works before the MSU job came open. As far as MSU going after Coach Wells, I don't think they are going to "go after" anybody. From what I have been told by a current player and his parent, several quality applicants have contacted MSU.
IMO Morehead couldn't find a better "quality" coach than Coach Wells, regardless of how many other have contacted them. He's a local talent that no doubt loves his community and the school, and he is a proven coach.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:IMO Morehead couldn't find a better "quality" coach than Coach Wells, regardless of how many other have contacted them. He's a local talent that no doubt loves his community and the school, and he is a proven coach.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just don't think that they (MSU) are going to pursue anyone.
Happy Osborne, who enjoyed remarkable success as Georgetown College’s basketball coach before leaving last year to become an assistant at Tennessee Tech, is returning to Kentucky.

Not as a college coach, but on the high school level.

Montgomery County introduced Osborne as its new boys’ basketball coach on Wednesday afternoon.

“At the end of the day, I’m a Kentucky guy. I really, really love Central Kentucky, and I want to live here,” he said.
Osborne, 54, said getting away from the rat race of college hoops and having more time for his wife Bobbi and 24-year-old daughter Madison played a major role in his decision.

Osborne spent 31 years on the bench at Georgetown College, 15 as head coach. He had an overall record of 456-81, including an NAIA national title in 1998.

Osborne replaces Tony Wise as Montgomery County’s coach. Wise had a 23-11 record in one season with the Indians.

Osborne’s top assistant at Montgomery County will be former Indians’ star Billy Ray Fawns, who played for Osborne at Georgetown.

Montgomery County assistant superintendent Phil Rison, a long-time friend of Osborne’s, said he was “tickled to death and pleasantly surprised” that Osborne took the job. “And I’m humbled he’d even consider us.

“That being said, what a great community we have here, and what opportunities we offer. A lot of people ask why would somebody go from college to high school coaching. My answer is, this could be the best coaching job in the state.”http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2012/05/...h/#wgt=rss
Excited for Coach Osborne...welcome back to Kentucky.
Congrats to Coach Osborne. Montgomery is getting a great coach. Also, think the addition of Fawns is great!!!!
[quote=LOOKAYANNER] Seems like it would be a step down for a NAIA national champion coach to take a high school job.

QUOTE]

This is a common misconception for those not in the coaching profession. I would be willing to bet that Montgomery County High School pays their head coach more than Georgetown College. Most high schools will have a much larger fan following than most NAIA schools. The facilities at Montgomery Co are better than Georgetown College.
QUOTE]

This is a common misconception for those not in the coaching profession. I would be willing to bet that Montgomery County High School pays their head coach more than Georgetown College. Most high schools will have a much larger fan following than most NAIA schools. The facilities at Montgomery Co are better than Georgetown College.[/QUOTE]

Rumors of Happy's pay at Montgomery Co is $180+
Gold Charger Wrote:QUOTE]

This is a common misconception for those not in the coaching profession. I would be willing to bet that Montgomery County High School pays their head coach more than Georgetown College. Most high schools will have a much larger fan following than most NAIA schools. The facilities at Montgomery Co are better than Georgetown College.

Rumors of Happy's pay at Montgomery Co is $180+[/QUOTE]

All teacher and coaching pay is subject to open records.
thecoacher Wrote:I don't disagree with you at all. I just don't think that they (MSU) are going to pursue anyone.

MSU has contacted Coach Wells.
Can NOT understand why he left Gtown for a an assitant's gig of that
level. Would have tought that he would not have done so except for a comparable
head coach position. But obviously was wrong. And YES it looks like he
would have been a solid choice for Morehead, though Wells is probably a
better one.
buckets Wrote:Congrats to Coach Osborne. Montgomery is getting a great coach. Also, think the addition of Fawns is great!!!!

Fawns has actually been one of the assistant coaches the past 5 years. He comes to as many practices as he can and helps coach during the games. He owns a local water company, so he is very busy, but very dedicated to helping with the players. I just can't see him as the "top" assistant coach.
Observing Wrote:Can NOT understand why he left Gtown for a an assitant's gig of that
level.

There is no secrete that the reason Happy left G'town was because the G'town administration's intent to move from NAIA D1 to NCAA D2. The academic requirements of NCAA D2 athletes are much higher than NAIA D1.
Top NAIA coaches make $90k plus, or they are not running their camps right.

If Happy is making $180k, the KDE will be in there so fast it will make your head spin.
region Wrote:Top NAIA coaches make $90k plus, or they are not running their camps right.

If Happy is making $180k, the KDE will be in there so fast it will make your head spin.
Ever heard of under the table??? everything is not always on the books.
rojas Wrote:[quote=LOOKAYANNER] Seems like it would be a step down for a NAIA national champion coach to take a high school job.

QUOTE]

That's not a misconseption at all. I'd say there are very few h.s. nationwide
that pay their coaches as much as Gtown for coaching. If you take into
account the OVERALL salary most of them will have as a paid member
of the school staff, that would be more, but the portion paid for
coaching will NOT be comparable.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Ever heard of under the table??? everything is not always on the books.

You people are in LA LA land if you think Osborne is getting
$90k on the table, over the table, under the table, hell if they
GIVE him the table. That kind of money isn't there, unless
they're hring him as the principal or superintendent or something
as well as coach.
I dont know what the man is going to make but I am happy to have him coaching here. ( please ignore the pun) :eyeroll:
Observing Wrote:You people are in LA LA land if you think Osborne is getting
$90k on the table, over the table, under the table, hell if they
GIVE him the table. That kind of money isn't there, unless
they're hring him as the principal or superintendent or something
as well as coach.
LA LA LA Land, you might want to check around the state they are coaches making will above 60K and don't have classroom duties and don't arrive @ their perspective job until noon or later.
Gold Charger Wrote:QUOTE]

Rumors of Happy's pay at Montgomery Co is $180+[/QUOTE]

Not a chance. I doubt he has a teaching certificate so there goes teaching or principal. They would have to hire him at the district level in a job that did not require a teaching certificate. Transportation director, technology director or something like that. Since both of those jobs require a lot of work, I honestly doubt that happens. The only thing they can pay him for coaching the boys is the same coaching stipend that they pay the girls coach.

All jobs at the board have a salary schedule that has to be followed. No one in the district can just make up a salary and pay someone what ever they want. So with that said, if they are going to give him another job it is going to have to be something that doesn't requrie a teaching certificate and my guess, something that would not require him to be in the building from 8-4 every day. It will come out soon what kind of job he gets other than coaching, and he won't make 180K
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:LA LA LA Land, you might want to check around the state they are coaches making will above 60K and don't have classroom duties and don't arrive @ their perspective job until noon or later.

They probably have a job with the school district as an athletic director, asst athletic director, manintence supervisor, homebound teacher,study hall monitor, in school suspension, or something like that.
goodguy Wrote:Rumors of Happy's pay at Montgomery Co is $180+

Not a chance. I doubt he has a teaching certificate so there goes teaching or principal. They would have to hire him at the district level in a job that did not require a teaching certificate. Transportation director, technology director or something like that. Since both of those jobs require a lot of work, I honestly doubt that happens. The only thing they can pay him for coaching the boys is the same coaching stipend that they pay the girls coach.

All jobs at the board have a salary schedule that has to be followed. No one in the district can just make up a salary and pay someone what ever they want. So with that said, if they are going to give him another job it is going to have to be something that doesn't requrie a teaching certificate and my guess, something that would not require him to be in the building from 8-4 every day. It will come out soon what kind of job he gets other than coaching, and he won't make 180K[/QUOTE]

Was told he does have a teaching certification. The 180+ was for him and his wife a job.
Happy is doing credit recovery, i dont know what his wife is doing but previous poster is correct, the 180 is for both of them.
Pages: 1 2