Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pro Wrestlers who stayed on too long or made to many "Comebacks"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, let me preface this thread by saying this I respect and understand having a passion for a sport. I also understand people have to pay the bills. It has to be hard for somebody to be wrestling in a sold out Madison Square Garden and then in a few months be wrestling in a community center to 75 people.

I know it's hard to give something up, if somebody truly loves what they are doing, then they never really give it up no matter if they are doing it or not. Michael Jordan, Bret Favre, Deion Sanders, Riddick Bowe, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson... the list could go on and on with pro athletes from other sports that have made "comebacks" or stayed in the game longer than they should have. Does that tarnish their reputation they had back in their prime? Some say yes... Some say no.

But I think the problem when pro wrestlers make a "comeback" or stay on too long, is that for the fans, they're (the wrestlers) not the same as we remember them. The trademark hair might be gone, they can't do their super-dooper finishing move like they used to. And as for me, an 'Old School' wrestling fan seeing the guys I watched growing up trying to make a "comeback" it kills my wrestling fan soul.
Ric Flair - As much as I loved watching him in NWA and WCW, he's about 10 years past hanging up the boots. He's a legend, there will never be another Ric Flair. Make him a "commissioner" or something to do with the Kayfabe. But his in-ring performing days should have ended long ago.

Hulk Hogan - The face of pro wrestling in the 80's and 90's. Every wrestler in the business from about 96 on up should thank Hogan for their job today. He made pro wrestling what it is. BUT, he's in the same boat as Flair. After his WrestleMania 21 apperance and SummerSlam match with Shawn Michales, he should have retired the Red and Yellow.
In Professional Wrestling, they all come back after their prime! Look at Hacksaw Jim Dugan, he looks terrible! Sgt. Slaughter shames himself when he takes off that hat! Jimmy Super Fly Snuka looks like he has been beaten with a Fly Swatter. Again, they all come back!
Verne Gagne
^ He's dead! But I think they have him coming out for next years wrestlemania
Like Pulp Fiction mentioned, definitely Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair. In an interview I saw with Hogan one time he mentioned that he actually wanted to retire around 1991 and just appear in movies, but he let his wife talk him into sticking with it for their mansion. I'll give props to Flair for being in such great shape for so long, but I remember even as a kid 15 years ago all the talk that he was old and should retire.