Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How do you feel about your teams draft.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MVP2 Wrote:He was already taken in the 3rd round.

Dang I don't know how I missed that... I make a list of players every year and hope that end up with Indy and he was on my list. I was hoping the Colts could steal him. I can't believe I missed that tho... I watch just about every minute of the draft.
Im very pleased with the browns draft and it seems we are making the right moves in this draft that will actually help us this up coming season
vundy33 Wrote:EKFF, apparently your Colts know something about their Defense that the rest of us don't it seems...

They know they have Chuck Pagano who has improved every defense he has had his hands on by leaps and bounds.
NothingTrivial Wrote:They know they have Chuck Pagano who has improved every defense he has had his hands on by leaps and bounds.

Don't have the players in Indy tho.... Freeney and Mathis both good players but both have to have a lead so they can rush the passer. Colts don't have physical players on the Def side of the ball. Pagano great D coach but you have to have the players.
VERY HAPPY WITH...

5th Round (136) - DT Josh Chapman (Alabama) - 6'1" 316 lbs... Big help in the middle

Colts add a beefy interior defender in Chapman. He is stout at the point and will give them a strong presence at nose tackle to help the transition to a 3-4.
ekff Wrote:Don't have the players in Indy tho.... Freeney and Mathis both good players but both have to have a lead so they can rush the passer. Colts don't have physical players on the Def side of the ball. Pagano great D coach but you have to have the players.

He didnt have a great team in Cleveland between 2000-2003 when on different occasions his team set a franchise record for fewest TD passes allowed and led the league in interceptions, with a rookie leading the NFL in interceptions. The hiring of Pagano made me a Colts fan, ill root for any team he's a part of.
NothingTrivial Wrote:He didnt have a great team in Cleveland between 2000-2003 when on different occasions his team set a franchise record for fewest TD passes allowed and led the league in interceptions, with a rookie leading the NFL in interceptions. The hiring of Pagano made me a Colts fan, ill root for any team he's a part of.

I promise you that Cleveland Browns had tougher Def players then the Colts have right now.... I promise.

Pagano also wasn't the Def Coord. with Cleveland in 00-03..
The best player on his defensive backfields was Anthony Henry, which is an upgrade from what indy has but not by much. Its a rebuilding process though. I believe the Colts are looking at 4-6 wins this year, while the players learn Pagano's system and are set up for good supporting roles in the future when better players are brought in. 4-6 wins will put the colts in a top 10 situation again next year with guys like Jarvis Jones, Jelani Jenkins, Manti Te'o, David Amerson, possible Tyrann Mathieu, and Demarcus Milliner all available to him.
ekff Wrote:I promise you that Cleveland Browns had tougher Def players then the Colts have right now.... I promise.

Pagano also wasn't the Def Coord. with Cleveland in 00-03..

He joined the staff as the DB coach in 01 (When a rookie Anthony Henry led the league in ints. ANTHONY HENRY!!!)...His defensive backs always excel. With The U, UNC, Cleveland, Baltimore.
NothingTrivial Wrote:He joined the staff as the DB coach in 01 (When a rookie Anthony Henry led the league in ints. ANTHONY HENRY!!!)...His defensive backs always excel. With The U, UNC, Cleveland, Baltimore.

Well the Colts front office didn't do him any favors in the draft. We (Colts) don't have the players... Anthony Henry would be a easy starter for the Colts DB's.
They sure didnt. They got a few good pieces...but after watching the rest of the draft it blows my mind the didnt take more pieces for the defense. The colts go sign a guy im hoping the panthers go after, Cliff Harris. He has first round talent, but the off the field stuff got him.
NothingTrivial Wrote:The best player on his defensive backfields was Anthony Henry, which is an upgrade from what indy has but not by much. Its a rebuilding process though. I believe the Colts are looking at 4-6 wins this year, while the players learn Pagano's system and are set up for good supporting roles in the future when better players are brought in. 4-6 wins will put the colts in a top 10 situation again next year with guys like Jarvis Jones, Jelani Jenkins, Manti Te'o, David Amerson, possible Tyrann Mathieu, and Demarcus Milliner all available to him.

Exactly, we (the Colts) could have had 20 picks in this draft and it wouldn't have been enough to address all of our needs, it's going to take a couple years. Overall though I thought the front office did an excellent job with this draft. I would give it an A-. I wasn't crazy about the Anderson pick simply because of his durability issues, and I don't agree with taking Harnish with our last pick and letting Kellen Moore go undrafted. Other than those two though I think we got good value out of every pick. We get the two best TEs in the draft to ease Luck's transition into the NFL, a good hardnosed RB with an NFL body in Ballard, a big run stopper on the DL in Chapman, and then two straight playmakers in Hilton and Brazill. Tim Fugger may never crack the defensive rotation but his effort alone should make him a special teams standout. I'm happy so far, in Grigson we trust.
The 10-12 yards hilton can make just in position on kick/punt returns can be huge.
I think the Titans got a good player in the first round but I was hoping to see them take a DE.
NothingTrivial Wrote:The 10-12 yards hilton can make just in position on kick/punt returns can be huge.

Absolutely. I'm just excited to see a decent return man in Indy. In my 20 years as a Colts fan I can recall one KO or punt being returned for a TD.
That could change very quickly this year.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Yea I agree the picks are solid but they had a chance to get a couple of studs. Zeitler is a steal. He was good at Wisconsin. Kirkpatrick though we could have passed. I am pretty sure he makes the 8th CB on roster now. I was looking more at Melvin Ingram at DE or Dont'a Hightower or Courtney Upshaw at LB. Those are spots we need upgrading.

I'm actually very happy we got Kirkpatrick. He himself may not have been the 8th CB on the roster, but the other guy they took in the later rounds, Shaun Prater did make 8!

The thing is, how many of those guys will be there beyond next year? Guys like Nate Clements and Terence Newman are about ready for their AARP cards. Adam Jones is no more than a nickel corner these days, and Leon Hall is coming off a major injury. They may have a lot of corners on the roster, but not all of them are going to make the team. I think they were signed mainly as insurance in case Hall isn't ready to start the season, or if they weren't able to draft one of the elite CB's in the draft.
Pages: 1 2