Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Notre Dame Academy, Ryle win Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference championships at S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When Boone County track and field sprinter Jessica Jones got the opportunity to compete in a field event this year, she jumped at it.

"I've run track since I was 4. I used to do the standing long jump back when I was too young to run and jump," said Jones, who segued into the track season after helping lead the basketball team to the regional championship in March as the Rebels' point guard.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

"I'm always in shape coming into track because of basketball, but this is the first year I've jumped in high school," she said. "I found out I really like jumping."

Rebels track coach Molly Hug is loving it. Though Boone's girls could do no better than fifth place in the final team standings at Tuesday's Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference championships at Scott, Hug watched her jumping novice come out on top in two events.

Jones, a junior, had the longest leap in the triple jump at 34 feet and one-half inch. She and Jena Doellman combined to win it for Boone. Jones also went farthest in the long jump with a leap of 16 feet and one-half inch. She and Doellman combined to place second in the event behind Notre Dame.

The Pandas went on to win their first conference title since 2007. With 99 points, they held off runner-up Campbell County (96) in the final pole-vault event.

"We target two meets every year, the conference and region," Notre Dame coach Jim Parsons said. "But we haven't won this in five years so I think our girls are pretty happy."

Ryle won the boys' championship for the first time. The Raiders totaled 89 points while breezing past runner-up Campbell (59). "We ran great times in our relays," Raiders coach Russell Harden said. "And we scored points in nearly every field event."

With the track events scored only as relays, individuals had a better chance to shine in the field where Campbell's Brianna Schraer won the shot put and discus and Holmes' Jajuan Keith won the boys' long jump and triple jump.

To the amazement of just about everybody at Boone, Jones, has become one of the area's top female long-jumpers and triple-jumpers. Jones knew it was possible. Her older sister, Christen, was a multi-sport Rebels athlete, three of her brothers ran track at Boone and cousin Mercier Doucette has been working out with her.

"She's been amazing," said Doellman. "She's a role model for me and I just love jumping with her."

Zuri Hill, one of six teammates who also plays basketball, bet Jones a candy bar that Jones couldn't out-do her in the long jump during one of the first practices.

"Obviously, I paid her," said Hill, who drove to a store and got Jones a Kit Kat chocolate bar. "She's a pretty good jumper and that's how I found out."

Hug asked Jones to consider doing the hurdles this season, in addition to sprints. When the coach saw Jones' distances in the jumps, she thought they were recording errors.

"When I found out she was really jumping that far, I told her she was our long-jumper and our-triple jumper," Hug said. "It's worked out really well. She's scored 40 points for us in a meet all by herself in the jumps, sprints and relays."
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...304240041/