Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Phelps Junior High - Hatfield and Hurley retained???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just heard that Hatfield #44 and Hurley #22 are being retained to play Junior High Basketball again next year. If this happens, Phelps will have a chance at County Champs...in my opinion. Any comments on this???:please:
Phelps still has no chance, even with them being held back. Too bad for them, just wasting another year of school.
wouldnt hatfield have to set out a year of high school if he does/
No. He's only turning 18 when he graduates as is. With this holdback, he would be 19. I think the age is 20... am I correct?
And I also heard another 8th grader, Prater #5, is coming back also. But I do know that #22 (Hurley) is coming back. But Hatfield and Prater aren't so sure. Apparently, it's all for another chance at the County Championship! But, I don't even know if Phelps has enough in 'em to pull it off. But I've been thinking, and they still have 2 good guards (Branham, Blankenship). So, maybe this retaining issue is true...in this position, I would consider being retained too.
guards cant do it all what bigs would they have?
PG - Branham
SG- Blankenship
SF- Prater
PF- Hurley
C- Hatfield

That's last year's starting lineup for the Hornets, from the games I watched.
yeah and they didnt win mch
That whole lineup has worked all off season. 2 of the players are planning to start varsity high school if not retained. When they lose, it isn't always because the other team is better. From the stands, it looks like they beat themselves. Hatfield has grown 2 inches since season's end. Hurley has grown a half-inch since season end. And Prater has grown 1 inch since season end. Hurley has worked on his skill in the post. Hatfield looks like he's hit the weights pretty hard. And Prater has worked on his shot from behind the arc. With all 5 starters having a possibility of coming back (2 for sure), this team still has team chemistry and will play well...no matter how long it takes them to get back in the groove.
they are still not going to beat Dorton or Pikeville. Who have they beat this off season?
HornetFan5 Wrote:No. He's only turning 18 when he graduates as is. With this holdback, he would be 19. I think the age is 20... am I correct?
Players are not impacted if they have not been enrolled or passed thru to 9th grade, so no impact there. Also, players are eligible to play as 19 year old seniors if their birthday is NOT prior to August 1st or their senior year. So if they turn 19 on August 2nd, for example, they can still play.
Hatfield just verified yesterday, with me in person, that he is NOT being retained. Although, Hurley also verified something...he IS being retained. Still yet to hear word of the decision of Prater. I think that with him being retained that the Hornets will have a better drive + kick-out game. He told me today that he is still considering.
Actually, this is Hatfield's #1 Fan. He IS being held-back. He said that he has some revenge for Pikeville and Dorton and said to tell you that if you want to doubt him, then just count him. Tongue
Also I just got back from watchin them practice.. Hatfield has been working on his vertical and is now dunking it easily
Will there be any coaching changes at Phelps next season?
Cougar Connection Wrote:Will there be any coaching changes at Phelps next season?

Rumors all over the place of kids transferring out, and coaches moving out or getting moved out.
I don't recall any of the coaches leaving. But we do have some kids transferring out of Phelps. I don't think any are sports players, but many students are transferring. What were some of the rumors, just curious?
Don't forget Johns Creek and Mullins will also be good as well...
I heard that belfry middle has some of their starters holding back as well and that they will have a new coach. Should be interesting season.
I talked to Coach Varney this weekend he said the big boy was not staying back.
The Hatfield kid is very skilled, but lazy and Phelps has very little to go with him. Some of the younger kids are solid though. Rumor is Hatfield will be at Belfry or Haysi.

And the question remains if Coach Varney will be back or if he will even coach at any level anymore....