Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland 12 Johnson Central 1 (6 INs)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
VERY Good Ashland team improves to 12-0 on the season with road win at JC.
April 18, 2012

Kittens remain perfect
Ashland pounces on Central for 12-1 win
JOSHUA BALL
Associated Press Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 AM EDT

PAINTSVILLE — Johnson Central’s home opener quickly turned into a disaster on Tuesday night.

Ashland scattered 19 hits, including crucial two-out plays that accounted for six of its runs, as the Kittens dismantled the Lady Eagles, 12-1, in six innings to remain unbeaten.

The Kittens (12-0) have allowed one or fewer runs in 10 games this season and have allowed just nine runs the entire season.

“If we can keep our opponents to one run in each game, I’ll take those chances,” said Ashland coach Dave Miller. “We’re playing solid defense, and are making plays at the plate. We seem to be doing all the right things.”

Ashland was right all night.

Third baseman McKenzie Vanover was 4-for-5 at the plate, including a double and a solo home run in the first inning.

While hitting was at a premium, it was one defensive play that may have sealed the win. Senior center fielder Kat Jackson made a diving catch at the fence on a long ball belted by Central’s Logan Cline to end the third inning.

“That was the best catch I have ever witnessed,” added Miller, “and I’ve been around a lot of softball.”

Central’s head coach, Jason Hurt, agreed.

“It’s one of those plays where you throw your hands up and say, ‘Wow, what a play,’” he continued. “They made play after play, and never allowed us to gain any momentum.”

The Kittens blew the game open in the fifth frame, scoring four runs. Shortstop Megan Griffith plated Katie Caron on an RBI single, and Vanover scored Jackson to end the rally on an RBI double to extend the lead to 10-1.

Johnson Central (16-6), playing in its first home game of the year after Lady Eagle Field was resurfaced, scored its lone run in the third inning when center fielder Jayla Spurlock scored on a passed ball.

Freshman Megan Hensley got the win on the mound for Ashland. She worked all six innings, allowing just five hits, while fanning 11 batters and walking just two.

“[Megan] is throwing the ball extremely well, and our defense is backing her up with some great plays,” said Miller. Hensley has been thrust into the lead role after senior ace Kelsee Hammonds was diagnosed with mononucleosis last week and will be sidelined for the next month. Hensley is 4-0 on the season.

Ally Webb took the loss for Central. She worked 5 2/3 innings, allowing 12 runs on 16 hits. She struck out seven batters and walked one.

ASHLAND 112 242 — 12 19 1

JCHS 001 000 — 1 5 3

W—Hensley. L—Webb. 2B—Vanover (A), Preece 2 (A), Griffith 2 (A), Hall (J), Weffensteffe (J). HR—Vanover (A).

I cannot remember a team in the 16th region that has had a start like the Kittens have had. Congrats to Ashland!
The talent gap between Ashland and the rest of EKY is astounding.