Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Running Clock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
BOARD ADOPTS RUNNING CLOCK FOR BASKETBALL

In accordance with NFHS playing rules basketball contests at all levels in grades 9-12 will feature a running clock
beginning next season once the margin reaches 35 points in the second half. NFHS rules give states flexibility with
regard to mercy rules and this change is similar to provisions in football, baseball and softball that terminate
contests when the winning team, for all practical purposes, has been determined.
At the point the margin reaches 35, the clock will stop only for charged time outs, an injury/blood or
disqualification, and free throw attempts.
“This change helps ensure that the proper level of sportsmanship is emphasized, without having an impact on
winning and losing,” said Tackett. “There are countless stories detailed about “out of hand” contests and the
negative impact on school and working relationships.”
Once the official signals for the timer to stop the clock, it will start on the last missed free throw or once the ball is
touched inbounds.

http://www.khsaa.org/news/news.pdf
Makes sense
May be one of the better rules put in place. Once it gets to that point in a game there is no real chance of coming back. Glad to see this put into effect.
Still think it is sad that a rule has to be put in place to show sportsmanship like this. No point in running up the score on an outmatched opponent. Some coaches should be ashamed.
FBALL Wrote:Still think it is sad that a rule has to be put in place to show sportsmanship like this. No point in running up the score on an outmatched opponent. Some coaches should be ashamed.
And some teams are so bad that they really have no business participating in the KHSAA and teams in their districts have no choice but to play them. And their reserves beat them unmercifully. So, what then? Take the night off? Stall for 3 quarters?

Good rule.
Great idea!
I think in theory it is a great rule! My only issue is how much is it REALLY going to help? The clock will stop on all timeouts and injuries (which it should) but it is going to be stopped for free throws as well. The only time it continues to run is a foul and while it is reported to the table and inbounded BUT most of the time by that point it's the bonus. When the ball goes out of bounds what is the time it takes for an official/player to get the ball and stick it back inbounds? 10-15 seconds? Doesn't seem lilke a lot really. I'm really glad to see the rule but would have liked to see it run during free throws until the last couple minutes of the game maybe? (That way you can get extra players in if you are losing team.) I'm just being very picky here I know but if you are getting beat by 35 then get the game over with as quick as possible!
I heard that Rodrick Rhodes called up the commish himself and asked about getting this one in the books.
Maybe we can name it the Rhodes rule lol !!! Smile
Trouble Wrote:And some teams are so bad that they really have no business participating in the KHSAA and teams in their districts have no choice but to play them. And their reserves beat them unmercifully. So, what then? Take the night off? Stall for 3 quarters?

Good rule.

I didn't say it was a bad rule. Just A shame that it has to be one in the first place.

There are some teams that are just plain bad but there are also coaches out there that will press and trap those teams the whole game because "that is what we do". That's a bunch of crap. There is no need to be in a half court trap trying to force turnovers with your JV players in when you are up 40.
Maybe this is a step in the right direction towards changing that God-awful archaic clock system. Where one team, can systematically limit the amount posessions their opposition has just by simply dribbling until fouled or dribbling until the clock is at the needed spot.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Maybe this is a step in the right direction towards changing that God-awful archaic clock system. Where one team, can systematically limit the amount posessions their opposition has just by simply dribbling until fouled or dribbling until the clock is at the needed spot.
I sure hope so, but a rule such as a shot clock in high school basketball would send Allen Hatcher to an early retirement...lol
I think that it is a good rule.
I doubt there will be a shot clock rule in high school for the simple reason that alot of schools couldnt afford it.
KY Headhunter Wrote:I sure hope so, but a rule such as a shot clock in high school basketball would send Allen Hatcher to an early retirement...lol

I'm sure if Hatcher ever got called upon for a college job he would turn it down because of the shot clock lol
I'm all for the shotclock!
45 shot clock
Glad to see this rule is being implemented in high school basketball. They had a very similar rule in the church basketball league that I played in. I think this will be very beneficial!
Adopt a 35 second shot clock.
This holding the ball all game is BS.
If a team is so bad that they need the mercy rule then why would they schedule a team that could do it to them? Every team at one time or another has had their ass kicked. If a team can score 200 i say go for it. You practice to play the game, not to hold the ball and feel bad for the other team because there awful.
If you really want to fix the blowouts among other things, class basketball, thats the only way to go. If you dont care to see a team get beat by 50 game after game, then keep what we have. Personally, i could care less either way, but dont blame teams or coaches for completely blowing another team out. It's not their responsibility to feel bad or babysit the other team.
You're not going to see a shot clock.
It's their responsibility to teach sportsmanship.
FBALL Wrote:It's their responsibility to teach sportsmanship.

Oh yes we wouldn't want to hurt little Johnny's feelings. I am not for running the score up, but when you have a game like this and are up by a bunch: most coaches put the reserves in and it is valuable learning time for them. So, we cheat them out of playing time to keep from hurting someones feelings. And yes some teams are just that bad and get beat by large margins. I do agree with a High School shot clock. But, now High School athletics is going the same way as Little League baseball. You know sports does mimic real life in one sense. At work if you perform you are rewarded, if you don't perform you are punished. It should be the same in sports, the harder you work and perform, the more rewards you should reap. What's next for High School basketball, a rule that you have to play everybody in every game.

:1:
Sometimes, you just get the shit beat out of you. It happens, happened to me a lot when I played sports, but I got over it. Screw the mercy rule.
^
Best post in the thread.
FBALL Wrote:You're not going to see a shot clock.

Are you saying KY high school basketball will never have a shot clock?
Not anytime soon. That woud be a contradiction of the running clock rule. Not to mention the cost to the schools. Cost of shot clocks and an operator is a concern of schools. If it becomes national then the KHSAA would follow. Usually if the NFHS adopts it most of the states follow suit.
Lizzard Wrote:Oh yes we wouldn't want to hurt little Johnny's feelings. I am not for running the score up, but when you have a game like this and are up by a bunch: most coaches put the reserves in and it is valuable learning time for them. So, we cheat them out of playing time to keep from hurting someones feelings. And yes some teams are just that bad and get beat by large margins. I do agree with a High School shot clock. But, now High School athletics is going the same way as Little League baseball. You know sports does mimic real life in one sense. At work if you perform you are rewarded, if you don't perform you are punished. It should be the same in sports, the harder you work and perform, the more rewards you should reap. What's next for High School basketball, a rule that you have to play everybody in every game.

:1:

It's not about feelings. If you are afraid of getting your feelings hurt sports is probably not your thing. It's about respect and sportsmanship. Things that used to be considered noble qualities that our kids should be taught.

Do the subs really learn anything by trapping or pressing an outmatched team when they are up 40-50 points. They can still play hard and learn without rubbing the other teams nose in it.

Just because you can beat a team by 100 doesn't mean you should.
FBALL Wrote:It's not about feelings. If you are afraid of getting your feelings hurt sports is probably not your thing. It's about respect and sportsmanship. Things that used to be considered noble qualities that our kids should be taught.

Do the subs really learn anything by trapping or pressing an outmatched team when they are up 40-50 points. They can still play hard and learn without rubbing the other teams nose in it.

Just because you can beat a team by 100 doesn't mean you should.

If you haven't noticed, all the rankings systems out there take into account winning margin and points allowed. I know that the KHSAA system of drawing teams for Sweet 16 does not use a seeding system, which I like. But, most coaches still like to be ranked as high as possible and that means you need to win often and win big. We might as well make the rule that if you are up by more than 30 you can only play with 3 players so it might be fair. Where will the rules end? How far will it go?

:please: :igiveup: :Sad04: :insane: :Wave:: Police Lig:booo:
Lizzard Wrote:If you haven't noticed, all the rankings systems out there take into account winning margin and points allowed. I know that the KHSAA system of drawing teams for Sweet 16 does not use a seeding system, which I like. But, most coaches still like to be ranked as high as possible and that means you need to win often and win big. We might as well make the rule that if you are up by more than 30 you can only play with 3 players so it might be fair. Where will the rules end? How far will it go?

:please: :igiveup: :Sad04: :insane: :Wave:: Police Lig:booo:

Rankings mean squat.

I think you missed my point. I go back to my earlier statement. It is a shame this has to be a rule in the first place.
Hell, let's give em all trophies. Let's go to 55 classes in basketball so we can have more "champions". Tshirt sales will skyrocket, mommies will be giddy, and coaches will pad resume's.

Let's grow up, get into this century and play ball. The professional game and college game has changed, and it's about damn time the high school game has changed.

Tire of hearing all the pitiful sportsmanship crap. Sure, there's a line you can cross, but for the most part this rule does nothing more than prevent a team from being embarassed any more than would happen anyway.

Blame it on the coaches if you want, I call BS on that.
Pages: 1 2