Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Now that the monkey is off Coach Cal's back...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is the best coach right now that does not have a title?
Billy Gillespie.:1:
Pretty soon he will have more than that one guy from Michigan state that is so great.
Thad Matta, Ohio State - Career record: 300-88, one Final Four, 13 regular season/conference tournament championships

Bo Ryan, Wisconsin - Career record: 631-194, five regular season/conference tournament championships
WideRight05 Wrote:Who is the best coach right now that does not have a title?
Brad Stevens. Four conference championships and NCAA tournament appearances, including two finals appearances in only five seasons as head coach. Career record of 139-40 (77.77%).
Mark Few (341-88)
And you can't go wrong with Brad Stevens...
but IMO he hasn't been coaching long enough to be considered one of the top dogs
Bo Ryan
Bo Ryan and Mark Few. If they had any recruiting ability, they would be in the Final 4 consistently.
zaga_fan Wrote:Mark Few (341-88)

Who's that?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Who's that?

300 of those wins arent real.
They were against NAIA teams.
zaga_fan Wrote:And you can't go wrong with Brad Stevens...
but IMO he hasn't been coaching long enough to be considered one of the top dogs
In his five years, Stevens has put his team in the finals twice despite facing more talented teams in almost every game that he has coached. Some of the other names being mentioned have never taken their first team to the final game.

IMO, longevity does not mean squat when it comes to coaching ability. Guy Lewis coached Houston for an eternity and had some of the most talented teams in the history of the game but during his 30 years of coaching and having won 592 games in his career, his Cougars made it to the final game twice.

Butler has a great basketball tradition but it is not easy to recruit top notch talent to a small university located in an urban setting with an 84-year old basketball arena. I have watched Butler play at Hinkle Fieldhouse and it still amazes me that the Bulldogs reached the finals two consecutive years.
I am surprised Bob Huggins hasn't been brought up yet.
I've liked two of Hoot's post in one thread. The world must be ending soon. Seriously, Brad Stevens has to be considered one of the great coaches.He is leaving a huge mark on the NCAA. Hoot is spot on in this analysis.