Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: James Quick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Where will the Trinity star end up?

Auburn, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, Illionois, Cincinnati, Oregon, Purdue, and Tennessee have all offered.
That means he has his pick of where he want to go more or less.

Where do you think he will choose? Does he stay in state at UK or UofL, or does he go for the big time at LSU, Alabama, or another powerhouse?

Personally, i'd love to see this kid choose a powerhouse team. There's no sense in wasting a career away at a bad school like UK or UofL, when the pros are watching the better teams every weekend. Whats your opinion?
Alabama is a NFL feeder program. They're gonna have 5 guys picked in the 1st round this year. I think if you want to pursue an NFL career, and are willing to work for it, this is the best place you can go.
Guys go to the NFL from UK and U of L all the time. If you can play, they will draft you. Dont matter if you go to UPIKE, they will find you. Hope Quick goes to UK. Wished Lamar Dawson would of went to UK also. We got to find a way to keep our homegrown boys instate even if the college has to buy them a Hummer or something.
^
UK doesnt have the coach to recruit Top 150 players like Quick.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Where will the Trinity star end up?

Auburn, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, Illionois, Cincinnati, Oregon, Purdue, and Tennessee have all offered.
That means he has his pick of where he want to go more or less.

Where do you think he will choose? Does he stay in state at UK or UofL, or does he go for the big time at LSU, Alabama, or another powerhouse?

Personally, i'd love to see this kid choose a powerhouse team. There's no sense in wasting a career away at a bad school like UK or UofL, when the pros are watching the better teams every weekend. Whats your opinion?

I personally think if the in state kids would stay in state at a U of L or UK then these programs could eventually be one of those powerhouse teams. Instead they are scattered all across the country. Just think if you have 4-5 players a year that are legit 4 and 5 star prospects stay in state after so many years these programs would have to improve. May need a coaching change here or there for this to happen, but its not impossible.
I wish them all the best where ever they choose to go, but wish we could see a few stay.
UK has the coach, he just doesnt have as much money to buy the players that he needs like the other coaches do at Alabama, LSU, and Florida. Money talks and bullshit walks. See UK buys the best basketball players money can buy. They win. Football is looked down upon still.
^ I'm sorry, but UK does not have the coach! Joker's name is beffiting!
Stardust why dont you apply for the job. You'd be an improvement.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I personally think if the in state kids would stay in state at a U of L or UK then these programs could eventually be one of those powerhouse teams. Instead they are scattered all across the country. Just think if you have 4-5 players a year that are legit 4 and 5 star prospects stay in state after so many years these programs would have to improve. May need a coaching change here or there for this to happen, but its not impossible.
I wish them all the best where ever they choose to go, but wish we could see a few stay.

I've always thought this too if we got Quick him and Towles together could be awesome along with Daylen Dawkins and Hatcher from Trinity. UK could be really good.
Having Joker, as a head coach is a complete mockery of the program. Joker needs to be moved out to allow Rick Minter to take over this program! As long as UK continues this facade with Joker, this program will succeed! Success does not mean SEC titles, but 8 wins should be demanded every year! With Joker, that will never happen!
We should have hired Mike Leech...I mean wouldn't you have wanted to see Patrick Towels throw it 75 times a game? at least we would score more than 13 points a game. Then Quick would have came because of the offense and the fact that Leech had coached Michael Crabtree. Maybe Tim Patterson would not have left.
Stardust Wrote:Having Joker, as a head coach is a complete mockery of the program. Joker needs to be moved out to allow Rick Minter to take over this program! As long as UK continues this facade with Joker, this program will succeed! Success does not mean SEC titles, but 8 wins should be demanded every year! With Joker, that will never happen!

How many times since 1990 have UK won 8 games? So to demand a coach win 8 games EVERY YEAR, when 8 has been the gold standard is a bit of a reach. UK's football program trouble has happen long before Joker and unless money is put into the program will continue long after IMO.
UK will never have a coach that can recruit 5-star talent as long as the pumpkins are still dropping in Rupp Arena. Basketball schools dont attract top tier football talent. Alabama, Southern Cal, Michighan, LSU, Florida State...etc. Football schools with rich football tradition. UK tradition is basketball. If you can get 3 star recruits and win you are special...Rich Brooks
How is it that before Joker Phillips became head coach he was generally considered to be one of the best recruiting coaches in the country?

I'm encouraged by last years freshman class. Find some playmakers at reciever and if the kid from highlands is all he is cracked up to be the foundation is solid.

The biggest disappointment has been one of the most highly regarded recruits we have had in a while and the other highly regarded QB brought in with him left. There is the mistake.
STATE CHAMP Wrote:UK will never have a coach that can recruit 5-star talent as long as the pumpkins are still dropping in Rupp Arena. Basketball schools dont attract top tier football talent. Alabama, Southern Cal, Michighan, LSU, Florida State...etc. Football schools with rich football tradition. UK tradition is basketball. If you can get 3 star recruits and win you are special...Rich Brooks

And the majority of those came from having instate talent such as Andre Woodson and Keenan Burton. And also finding a diamond in the rough Randall Cobb under the nose of Tennessee.

And for all the "greatness" of Rich Brooks his record at UK was 39-46 and 19-39 in the SEC.

Until UK decides to put some money into the football program I doubt it will ever grow.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:How many times since 1990 have UK won 8 games? So to demand a coach win 8 games EVERY YEAR, when 8 has been the gold standard is a bit of a reach. UK's football program trouble has happen long before Joker and unless money is put into the program will continue long after IMO.

First off, the program was headed in the right direction withe the last few coaches, that is until Joker took over and this program is directionally headed south. You keep referring to money, like you KNOW they get no money. Show proof! How much do they spend on football? Compare it to other middle of the pack programs in other conferences! I want to see the comparisons! Joker is sure as hell not in the same class as Steve Spurrier, yet The big Joke is that his $1.7 M is comparable to Steve's $2.0M, so UK sure as hell is spending (wastefully) money there!
So Hal Mumme and Guy Morris had UK going in the right Direction? Or did you mean Bear Bryant and Fran Curci when you said the last few coaches had the program going in the right direction. As that is the last time I can remember Uk going in the right direction and having winning records in the SEC. In 1984 UK won 9 games since then I bet you can count on 1 hand the number of 8 win football seasons UK has had.
Stardust Wrote:First off, the program was headed in the right direction withe the last few coaches, that is until Joker took over and this program is directionally headed south. You keep referring to money, like you KNOW they get no money. Show proof! How much do they spend on football? Compare it to other middle of the pack programs in other conferences! I want to see the comparisons! Joker is sure as hell not in the same class as Steve Spurrier, yet The big Joke is that his $1.7 M is comparable to Steve's $2.0M, so UK sure as hell is spending (wastefully) money there!

UK gets the money. Even in football. Remember Joker was the recruiting coordinator for Brooks an was responsible for most of the talent that was brought in.

As I said earlier I was encouraged by last years recruiting class. Particularly on defense.

The problem was the loss of Cobb and Locke and even Hartline from the offense. Newton is not a leader and has worse throwing accuracy than Tebow. I like Max Smith and thought the offense improved significantly with him under center.

I really believe we will see an improved football team this year. Will they win the SEC? No. But I think they will be competitive. And i think they are at the point where they can be year in year out.

But what the hell do I know. I hope quick goes to UK and helps build and raise expectations.
^ FBALL, I'm not arguing that Joker was not a great recruiter, he was, probably still is. But to call him an X's and O's guy is like saying I'm not "Obsessive Compulsive". Just because Joker was good at bringing talent in, does not make him a good leader of the entire football program! Yes, that's what assistants are for, but this Ya-hoo has the say in setting the game plan, and that is the monumental "Fail"!
Pigskinman53 Wrote:So Hal Mumme and Guy Morris had UK going in the right Direction? Or did you mean Bear Bryant and Fran Curci when you said the last few coaches had the program going in the right direction. As that is the last time I can remember Uk going in the right direction and having winning records in the SEC. In 1984 UK won 9 games since then I bet you can count on 1 hand the number of 8 win football seasons UK has had.

You really have no clue do you!

Mumee comes in to a severely sanctioned team and leads them to a 7-5 record, gets buried due to recruiting numbers yet starts to bring guys back into the program. He proved he could coach simply because he had no talent at all, but still made all of his losses respectable!

As for Brooks, hell yes, this team was headed in the right direction:

Rich Brooks Era The team's next head coach was Rich Brooks, who led the team out of the probationary years to an 8–5 regular season record in 2006, including a memorable upset over the defending SEC champion Georgia, snapping a nine-game losing streak to the Bulldogs. Brooks also led the football team to its first bowl game since 1999 and its first bowl game victory since 1984, as Kentucky defeated the Clemson University Tigers 28–20 in the Music City Bowl. [1] The Wildcats were ranked 8th in the nation before a loss to South Carolina on October 4. After the loss to South Carolina, Kentucky bounced back on October 13 to defeat #1 LSU in a historic triple overtime game.

Quote:Brooks took Kentucky to four consecutive bowl games, winning the first three. The 2007 Kentucky Wildcats football defeated the Florida State Seminoles 35–28 in the 2007 Music City Bowl in Nashville, Tennessee, on December 31, 2007. Quarterback Andre' Woodson was named the Music City Bowl MVP for the second year in a row. In 2008 the Wildcats opted to go to the Liberty Bowl instead of the Music City Bowl and defeated Conference USA champion East Carolina 25-19. In 2009, Brooks and Kentucky returned to the Music City Bowl, losing in a rematch to Clemson 21-13
James Quick won't be coming to UK.

I wish he would, but he'll more than likely go to Louisville. His father and I believe a few of his other close family members graduated from UL. If not UL, then I'd say it'll be a school like Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc.
P
Stardust Wrote:^ FBALL, I'm not arguing that Joker was not a great recruiter, he was, probably still is. But to call him an X's and O's guy is like saying I'm not "Obsessive Compulsive". Just because Joker was good at bringing talent in, does not make him a good leader of the entire football program! Yes, that's what assistants are for, but this Ya-hoo has the say in setting the game plan, and that is the monumental "Fail"!

I think monumental fail is a bit strong. You think Brooks would have ridden off into the sunset if he would have had a loaded team citing back? I don't.

As far as x's and o's that was a pretty good job of moving them around in last years final game.

The failure of Newton and the transfer of Mossakowski have hurt more than anything.

I'm not saying Joker is the greatest thing since sliced bread but he's not horrible either. He is a native son that had no head coaching experience. Growing pains had to be expected.
You make good points yet you failed to answer my question, how many UK football teams have won 9 games? If I'm not mistaken didn't Mumme committed some Violations as well? Andre Woodson was an excellant QB not once did I say he wasn't, and other KY players such as Tamme added to the success of the program.

I'm not saying Joker is a great coach I'm just saying the expectations you've mentioned of winning 8 games a season is a bit unrealstic IMO. It's only been a handful of UK team since Bryant and Curci left that has won that many games. The best season was an 8-4 record 4-4 in the SEC under Rich Brooks.

A monumetal fail would be Steve Kragthrope and Billy Gillispie
Quick has to find a program that fits his skillset. Why would you go to Alabama or LSU? They are NFL feeder programs, but they are both run heavy offenses and more known for their defense and that doesn't do a thing for a wide receiver as good as Quick. In my opinion, he will end up at a college that slings it around. Just my opinion on the matter....
FBALL Wrote:P

I think monumental fail is a bit strong. You think Brooks would have ridden off into the sunset if he would have had a loaded team citing back? I don't.

As far as x's and o's that was a pretty good job of moving them around in last years final game.

The failure of Newton and the transfer of Mossakowski have hurt more than anything.

I'm not saying Joker is the greatest thing since sliced bread but he's not horrible either. He is a native son that had no head coaching experience. Growing pains had to be expected.

IMO "Monumental Fail" is a bit weak. To watch what this team went through last year and to hear Joker talk about how it would get better each week was laughable. I mean, how can you have that many receivers dropping the majority of the passes they get. How can you have a D1 QB who doesn't even learn when to throw the ball away. How can you say you have the best O-line around, then get negative yardage and multiple sack from L'ville on day one.

I've never been a coach basher, but Joker is better suited for the Bryan Station job than he is for UK. I think the money is there, the fan base is there, the only thing needed is a big name head coach and staff. If UK were to go after someone like an Urban Meyer then they might get 3 or 4 top recruits each year. Until then we will get the occasional big time Kentucky kid and the 3-star guys at best.

I'd love to say that Quick would be better off at UK because of the guaranteed playing time. But with Joker calling the shots, I think he's better off at UofL or one of the traditional programs.
Why would a coach like Urban Meyer come to UK or even UofL for that matter? UofL caught lighting in a bottle with Petrino, and Strong was passed up on so many jobs by these schools for whatever reason is crazy to me. This is a basketball CRAZY state we have the 2 most highest paid coaches in America and most well known coaches in college basketball. The basketball players in Lousiville and Lexington are treated like rock stars and football players are usually rarely noticed.

Brooks really got thing going his final few years at UK and really was in his last stop and honestly should have stayed. UK should have expected some growing pains when Joker took over and this was his first Head Coaching job.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Why would a coach like Urban Meyer come to UK or even UofL for that matter? UofL caught lighting in a bottle with Petrino, and Strong was passed up on so many jobs by these schools for whatever reason is crazy to me. This is a basketball CRAZY state we have the 2 most highest paid coaches in America and most well known coaches in college basketball. The basketball players in Lousiville and Lexington are treated like rock stars and football players are usually rarely noticed.

Brooks really got thing going his final few years at UK and really was in his last stop and honestly should have stayed. UK should have expected some growing pains when Joker took over and this was his first Head Coaching job.

They probably wouldn't, but that shouldn't stop the administration from trying to get them. You either have a big time program or a big time coach, and UK doesn't have the clout in the football world to get the big name players without a big name coach. So, might as well put the effort and money into trying to get the big name coach. I don't see UK ever being a factor in the SEC because of this, and for the immediate future, a season will be considered successful when the football team has less losses than the basketball team. I don't see that happening for a few years.
Sorry to say it but I still think racism is the thing the fuels the most hatred for Joker.

I like him and if given the chance Brooks was believe he will be successful.
FBALL Wrote:Sorry to say it but I still think racism is the thing the fuels the most hatred for Joker.

I like him and if given the chance Brooks was believe he will be successful.

I believe that is the Elephant in the room and I agree with you. I too think Joker will be able to win 7 games and get to the music city bowl as well.

What will work aginst Joker is Cal coaching UK basketball and Charlie Strong coaching UofL football. Cal will win games and get top recurits to keep the fan base going crazy. Strong is getting top players and has UofL looking at a BCS bid. Brooks last few years he had a perfect storm with Gillispie taking the basketball team to the NIT, and Kragthrope was running the football program at UofL into the ground.
Who said we need a Spurrier or Urban?
All people like me, SD, and Laker are asking for is a coach who knows what in the hell he is doing. The only thing Joker had going for him was a little recruiting pipeline and now he cant even get that. The guy is a joke when it comes to the X's and O's of the game.
Just because he got lucky by pulling a grade school playbook out and putting a reciever in at QB and running two play (run right, run left) doesnt mean hes a good coach. I would think that every UK fan would have expected a win over UT this year as bad as they sucked no matter what the streak was.
Long story short, we need a new coach, and until we do that, were screwed. They have to hire somebody that knows his shit. Not a "coach in waiting".
Pages: 1 2