Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Veteran Eagles picking up key early wins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TAYLOR MILL — Like other baseball teams, the team at Scott High School has had to play more small-ball this season as the aluminum bats the players use are weaker because of safety standards adopted nationwide.

While the new regulations protect infielders from lasers hit at them, it makes it harder for the offense to string hits together and get big innings. Teams have to emphasize doing the little things to advance runners and not walking batters and making mistakes while on defense.

“We’ve struggled with the bats,” said head coach Jeff Trame. “There are not as many hits so far and our pitchers have done very well. Our hitters have to get up there and relax, and not worry about it. You have to go into each at-bat with confidence. Our pitching has kept us in the games.”

The Eagles used small-ball to pull out a 2-1 win over rival Dixie Heights April 2, one of the biggest wins so far in a 6-4 start to the season.

Junior Jared Best hit an infield single to deliver the winning run in the seventh inning, scoring senior Joey Heeb. Brandon Stamper had a base hit in the seventh to move him to third after plating the Eagles’ first run on a sacrifice fly in the fifth inning.

“We missed a hit and run earlier and ran into a double play,” Trame said. “Later on in the game, we got the hit and run with the same guy and got first and third. Aaron Smith got a bunt down and didn’t get it down earlier. There’s a lot more small-ball now. if we do that that will make us more successful.”

Trame, who has a lot of experience with basketball and volleyball as well, brought in a mostly new staff this year, as most of the Scott coaches went with Troy Roberts to Simon Kenton. Justin Neal, the third-base coach, is the lone holdover. Former Scott standout Darren Farrar leads the newcomers.

“I’ve been around baseball all my life and I enjoy being around the kids,” Trame said. “It’s a challenge to keep an eye an all levels but we have a lot of help and a lot of talent.”

Best hit .372 last year and is one of several upperclassmen who have varsity experience for the Eagles.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...304060009/