Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KSCA Coaches Poll 4/4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Ballard (8)
2. Allen County-Scottsville (5)
3. Mercy (5)
4. Lafayette
5. Christian Co.
6. Assumption
7. Greenwood
7. Owensboro Catholic
9. Male
10. Scott Co.
11. Green Co.
12. PRP
13. North Laurel
14. Central Hardin
15. Reidland
16. Muhlenberg
17. Bowling Green
18. Meade Co.
18. Walton-Verona
20. Ashland
21. Hopkins Central
22. Bullitt East
23. Graves Co.
24. Calloway Co.
25. Henderson Co.

Others receiving votes: Franklin Co. 27, CAL 24, Marshall Co 23, Oldham Co. 21, Glasgow 20, Bell Co. 18, Henry Clay 17, Collins 16, South Laurel 13, Heath 13, Butler 11, Woodford 8, Ryle 8,Madisonville 7, Lex.Catholic 3, Butler Co. 3, Anderson Co. 3, Lone Oak 2, Nicholas Co. 2, Holy Cross 2, Boyd Co., Magoffin Co., Daviess Co., Sacred Heart, Clinton Co., Edmonson Co., 1
Where is Jenkins?
Considering Jenkins has three combined losses to two teams (Pikeville, Paintsville) which received ZERO votes, the fact that Jenkins isn't on there is not surprising.

Also, there are 51 teams on the above list that were on at least one ballot ... Jenkins plays NONE of them.

Hard to climb in the polls when you play none of the big boys, err, girls.

What would folks rank as Jenkins' top three wins this season?
Is North Laurel a lock to win the 13th this season or is there someone out there that can knock them off?
cksportsfan Wrote:Considering Jenkins has three combined losses to two teams (Pikeville, Paintsville) which received ZERO votes, the fact that Jenkins isn't on there is not surprising.

Also, there are 51 teams on the above list that were on at least one ballot ... Jenkins plays NONE of them.

I agree. If you want to be respected statewide, then you need to play someone that is good. However, that could be hard for Jenkins since there aren't really and good teams around them. I'm not saying there aren't solid mountain teams, but let's face it, they haven't done too well against teams from other parts of the state in the past. If Jenkins wants to be respected statewide, then I suggest playing teams like North Laurel and Ashland and going to bigger tournaments instead playing of Cordia and Knott County Central.
catscards Wrote:Is North Laurel a lock to win the 13th this season or is there someone out there that can knock them off?

I would say they are probably the favorite but South Laurel has a solid team as well. Other than that I don't know much about any of the 13th region teams.
blue1424,

There are several schools that received votes - North Laurel, South Laurel, Boyd, Bell, Magoffin - that Jenkins could play from the eastern part of the state.

I know travel is an issue, but that's what Saturdays and Spring Break are for.
cksportsfan Wrote:Considering Jenkins has three combined losses to two teams (Pikeville, Paintsville) which received ZERO votes, the fact that Jenkins isn't on there is not surprising.

If I was guessing I would say (no order)

Belfry (8-4)
Pikeville (9-5)
Paintsville (7-6)

Not sure about the out of state teams

Jenkins don't play again until Monday and that's a home game with Pikeville
Strikeout King Wrote:If I was guessing I would say (no order)

Belfry (8-4)
Pikeville (9-5)
Paintsville (7-6)

Not sure about the out of state teams

Jenkins don't play again until Monday and that's a home game with Pikeville
Jenkins did not defeat Paintsville or Pikeville.
Jenkins is not the power house they have been in the past .But there isnt a team they have lost to that they cant beat if they play ball . They have played 2 great teams that would give anyone in the 14/15 a run , that they beat clintwood and the combine school union both out of Va. Its hard to compare unless you have seen them. Im not taking any thing away from pikeville I think they are the most solid going right now just ahead of Paintsville but dont be surprized if the cavs put one together and beat them .
Panther Thunder Wrote:Jenkins did not defeat Paintsville or Pikeville.

That was overall best teams. not best teams they've beat. The Teams they have beaten was Belfry (8-4) the other's they've beaten have either been .500 or under .500
I think the Cavs youth is beating them little mistakes they make . No one has blowed them out in any game . They just need to make fewer mistakes and some of those gams may have been different in the end .
I wouldn't pay much attention to these polls because the coaches who vote don't know much about other teams other than what's in there region... some go by past history of a team... as for Bell, Boyd and Magoffin they havn't play anyone yet...North and South Laurel teams are probably the two teams out of the 13th....Why doesn't Bell schedule north and south laurel??? But anyway don't pay much to the polls...No Eastern Ky team has ever won state (well if you call North Laurel 2001) at fastpitch... all western ky teams. So you as a coach where do you think you should be playing?? But I know money and travel is very hard so you have to do what you can.... oh yea Jenkins will be fine I know the coaching staff and parents work very hard.....
outsidein Wrote:I wouldn't pay much attention to these polls because the coaches who vote don't know much about other teams other than what's in there region... some go by past history of a team... as for Bell, Boyd and Magoffin they havn't play anyone yet...North and South Laurel teams are probably the two teams out of the 13th....Why doesn't Bell schedule north and south laurel??? But anyway don't pay much to the polls...No Eastern Ky team has ever won state (well if you call North Laurel 2001) at fastpitch... all western ky teams. So you as a coach where do you think you should be playing?? But I know money and travel is very hard so you have to do what you can.... oh yea Jenkins will be fine I know the coaching staff and parents work very hard.....

Poll does NOT mean much?

Here's some of the FINAL regular-season rankings from last year.

1. LOUISVILLE BALLARD (state runner-up)
2. CHRISTIAN COUNTY (Region Semifinalist; BEAT state champ AC-S in regular season)
3. ALLEN COUNTY-SCOTTSVILLE (State champ)
T4. LOUISVILLE MERCY (Region semifinalist, ousted by state runner-up Ballard)
T4. OWENSBORO CATHOLIC (advanced to state)
6. BOWLING GREEN GREENWOOD (Region runner-up, ousted by state champ AC-S)
7. LOUISVILLE MALE (Region semifinalist)
8. SCOTT COUNTY (region semifinalist, ousted by Lafayette, which made it to final 6 at State)
9. GREEN COUNTY (region semifinalist, ousted by Central Hardin, which made it to final 6 at State)
10. BUTLER COUNTY (region runner-up)
11. CENTRAL HARDIN (made it to final 6 at State)
12. LEXINGTON LAFAYETTE (made it to final 6 at State)
13. NORTH LAUREL (went 1-2 at State)

To Recap:
- The top 13 of last year's poll entering districts all advance to at least the region semis
- Eight were among the final 32 teams in the state (meaning region finalists)
- Six advanced to State
- Four teams were among the final 6 playing (AC-S, Ballard, Central Hardin, Lafayette)

And the poll does NOT matter?

As far as North Laurel, it went to Tennessee, Florida, played three Lexington schools, one from Richmond, one from Green County (5th Region), and one from Paducah.

How many serious/noteworthy EKY programs venture west of Lexington much? Even on a Saturday or for tournaments?
Yea the Poll doesn't matter... are you saying the poll made these teams win?? Poll does not make a team win or loose ...Yea the poll DOESN'T matter... how does a poll make a team win or loose??? Ck how about this... why don't western teams go east? if you want eastern teams to go west than westrern teams should go east... it all has to do with money. Some programs can't afford to spend for buses and bus drivers and hotels and tournament fees and food... oh yea did I say polls mean nothing... YES THEY MEAN NOTHING....
Don't go to lexington to play any good teams. Well other than Lafayette the remainder of the teams in Lexington are not good. You better go further west.
outsidein Wrote:Yea the Poll doesn't matter... are you saying the poll made these teams win?? Poll does not make a team win or loose ...Yea the poll DOESN'T matter... how does a poll make a team win or loose??? Ck how about this... why don't western teams go east? if you want eastern teams to go west than westrern teams should go east... it all has to do with money. Some programs can't afford to spend for buses and bus drivers and hotels and tournament fees and food... oh yea did I say polls mean nothing... YES THEY MEAN NOTHING....

Western teams usually don't go east because there are no good teams to play with the exception of North Laurel and Ashland. It's better for them to stay closer to home or go to TN, AL or FL.

outsidein Wrote:Don't go to lexington to play any good teams. Well other than Lafayette the remainder of the teams in Lexington are not good. You better go further west.

Yeah, the only good team in Lexington is Lafayette. There are some other teams that are decent, but most of the good teams are around Louisville and west of Louisville.
Thank you blue.... you are correct..... But blue I've seen North play this year mmmmmm there ok... now ashland has some play in them but they havn't played anyone so you really don't know... they have some games coming up at Lafayette tournament so we should know more... I want to see Assumption... have heard some really good stuff on them...
outsidein Wrote:Yea the Poll doesn't matter... are you saying the poll made these teams win?? Poll does not make a team win or loose ...Yea the poll DOESN'T matter... how does a poll make a team win or loose??? Ck how about this... why don't western teams go east? if you want eastern teams to go west than westrern teams should go east... it all has to do with money. Some programs can't afford to spend for buses and bus drivers and hotels and tournament fees and food... oh yea did I say polls mean nothing... YES THEY MEAN NOTHING....

"how does a poll make a team win or loose" - It doesn't. However, being ranked -- especially high -- is a pretty good indicator that you're having a respect-worthy season and that you should be solid in the postseason ... as such, EVERY SINGLE ONE of the top 13 teams in the final regular season poll (which comes out BEFORE the district, region and state tournaments) made it to at least the region semifinals. You think that's merely coincidence or dumb luck?

"why don't western teams go east?" - Um, let's see:

HOPKINS COUNTY CENTRAL: A 2011 state team, HCC joined top-25 teams Assumption and Meade in the 50-team Bob Jones tourney in Huntsville, Ala. The Bob Jones is one of the biggest and toughest tourneys in the southeast and many times KY teams come back with losing records.

OWENSBORO CATHOLIC: Plays in tournaments in Tennessee, Indiana and Lexington. Plays solid Florida teams in Florida (Florida season starts earlier than KY and Florida softball is reguarded as being tougher). O'Cath also hosts one of the best tournaments in the State (Sports Warehouse Classic).

PADUCAH HEATH: Is in the Capital City Showcase next week in Frankfort ... 250 miles ONE WAY.

You can say its about saving money, and that's OK. There are several NKY schools that don't leave NKY. There are some Jefferson County schools that do not play a single game outside Louisville (but I can assure you Assumption, Ballard and Mercy do).

Good programs leave the nest every once in a while.

Plus, you gotta remember outside of the event North Laurel holds, there's not a single tourney in EKY that any big-name program (Mercy, Ballard, AC-S, Greenwood, O'Cath, Lafayette, PRP, Butler, etc.) would even attend when they can stay closer to home and play BETTER competition.

Tourneys hosted by Meade County (TSOA), Owensboro Catholic (Sports Warehouse Classic), Mercy (Thrill In the Ville), Greenwood (Border Battle), Franklin County (Capital City Showcase), Ballard (Ballard Invitational), Marshall County (Slugfest), Allen County-Scottsville (Halton Classic) allow teams to stay closer to home while playing solid competition.

And with the new $32-million Elizabethtown Sports Park opening in two months, there will be another site that will host major regular season events. Centrally located, great state-of-the-art facility built for softball (200-foot fences, NO portable fences like at State) and cheaper hotels (but still have big names in Hampton, Ramada, La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express) and restaurants than Louisville, Owensboro and Bowling Green makes E'town an instant draw.

I'm not an EKY hater, per se. North Laurel softball, Bell County football (and Corbin, Belfry), Shelby Valley basketball, Corbin and Russell tennis, Rockcastle girls' hoops ... they all get their fair share of respect (even from folks from WKY, LOU, LEX and NKY).

At the same time, if you want the respect other teams get, you gotta put in the work, effort, scheduling and money those other teams have.

Teams like Jenkins certainly have NOT done that.

One mediocre EKY team playing another mediocre EKY team (just because they're close) does nothing to wow the voting coaches or the media. At the same time, Caverna beating 5th Region rival Fort Knox or Shawnee beating Seneca does NOTHING either.
Ck I agree on all that you say but polls mean nothing... they don't make a team better or worse... I know western teams are by far above eastern teams... most girls in western part of the state also play all summer and fall... most girls in eastern don't... CK i agree on all that you say but untill you know what is what in part of the state you have to experience... You have so many instructors in those areas that work with kids during the off season... eastern you don't have that... and the schools you mention (mercy, assumption, ballard, owensboro catholic) do you realize the money those parents and programs have??? Come on now... Do realize a couple years back when Owensboro Catholic did there big Cailfornia trip and traveled all over they had one man pay for most of it... so far what have you noticed on the schools you mention they have money and you can't say they don't... i've known all htose programs and coaches for a long time and i know what they get and have..... If you know Jones at ballard than you know... But don't get me wrong these kids work hard all summer and fall with there instructors to be good... and nothing wrong with that...Now lets get to coaching most of the schools you mention the coaches know and really care about improving there program some in eastern know nothing about the game and not to concern about it... there usually there to fill a spot.. now some of them not all there are some good coaches and people so don't some start yelling... and some has to be blamed on administration because they don't back the sport they usually only care about basketball... Ex.( perry central... rockcastle co.) just to mention. So I do agree with you about better teams but you have to look deeper into why...To be good you just can't work on this game 3 months out of the year.. to be good you have to play summer ball... fall ball and work hard during the off season... you also have to have someone who knows the game and knows the mechanics of hitting, pitching, fielding, throwing.... oh yea concerning the polls you can have fun with them but how can you compare teams that you have never seen and place them in order??? I've never seen reidland play this year so how can I put them over ashland???
outsidein,

Ashland Blazer is a different beast compared to most EKY teams. Mainly because they've beaten some solid teams (FROM OUTSIDE EKY) in the past. Blazer represented at State last year.

It wouldn't bother me if someone has Blazer rated better than Reidland or vice versa. However Lone Oak (9-2), Livingston Central (9-2-1) and Muhlenberg County (10-3) are three solid teams with one thing in common ... all three were beat by Reidland.

What solid team has Blazer played? Should you be rewarded for beating bad teams? If that was the case, Murray (5-0), Cumberland County (4-1, but got crushed by a mediocre Adair County team), Fairdale (9-1, but got beat 10-0 by PRP and I can't name a single good win for Fairdale) should be getting votes, if we're basing it only on record.

Kentucky is one of the few states that has a daily-updated scoreboard that any voting coach can check. They should use it more often.

Is WKY softball (AC-S, Gwood, Christian County, Hop Central, Madisonville, Calloway) better than EKY (NL, SL, Blazer ...)? No doubt. And as such, there should be a ton more WKY teams than EKY teams in the poll.

You're right -- being in the poll does not make a team better or worse. But like I pointed out, if you're continually perceived as a top-10 team ... pretty good chance you're having a solid season or will be solid come district/region/state.

And very rarely does a top-10 (heck, even top 20) team just get blitzed by a team that doesn't receive any votes ... that's NOT a coincidence.

Do I see a lot of teams play? No. Outside of teams from the Hardin-LaRue-Meade triangle of counties, pretty good chance I won't see you play unless you're at State or you play one of the seven teams from the H-L-M triangle.

At the same time, neither one of us have seen Assumption play. But based on their performance, schedule and finish at the Bob Jones (final four in 50-team tourney), I do NOT think I need to have seen them play to know they are good.

Same thing with Ballard, Mercy, AC-S, Greenwood, Lafayette.
ck I don't know where you get I have team... I'm not with any team. I have seen many teams play this year. Not just eastern ky but central and some western... I have seen teams from tn, oh, wv and so on... (oh yea I was just using ashland and reidland as example not saying one is better than the other) I have been to state tournament for the past 15 years and many regions and districts... You shouldn't get votes just because of your record.... I believe we think alike but just disagree concerning a poll... I have no use for them... there just one persons opinion... there also affected by the good old buddy system and if you think not well ok... Ok so here is new thing forget district and regions they should just take the top 16 teams in the poll and send them to state... it will be known as the ck system.. I myself would only have on eastern team in the poll and that would be ashland but than again they havn't played anyone so how do you know... Ok Ck I agree just about everything you have said it's just I don't put much into polls...you love polls and that's ok... there fun to discuss but there are teams that shouldn't be there and teams that should.. and your the one who tells a team hey your not in the polls so you don't have a chance... ok sounds like good coaching to me... lol
outsidein,

My local teams will drop -- HARD -- in the next poll ... and they should. So it's not about building up local teams.

However, how many ELITE teams are there not in the top 25, or not getting votes at all? Based on schedule, I can't argue for Fairdale or Murray or Jenkins compared to teams that have far more losses BUT way better wins.

The GOOD thing about State is that it allows every area/region -- big to small, urban to rural, western to eastern, northern to southern -- to send somebody.

The BAD thing about State is NEVER will it be the top 16 based on season performance. You can't send Ballard AND Mercy. You can't send Greenwood AND AC-S. You can't send PRP AND Butler. You can't send Central Hardin AND Green County. Of those eight teams, there will be four solid teams not make it. I'm not sure there are four solid teams -- at least, like those four who are guaranteed NOT to be at State -- in region 13-16 TOTAL.

Heck, in volleyball, you'll have a NATIONAL TOP-10 team not make it to State because Assumption and Sacred Heart are in the same region.

I would like to see State softball changed to single-elimination (like the 16-team soccer, volleyball, baseball and basketball state tournaments). And if the rumor of U of L or WKU offering up its facility to host state softball (like WKU does for girls' hoops, UK does for boys' hoops, Bellarmine for volleyball and Lexington Legends for baseball), the days of a double-elimination state softball tournament at a public park could be numbered.

And you're right: I do like polls. But like I said earlier, my two local teams who are currently ranked deserve to drop in them, too. Central Hardin went 1-2 in the Oldham tournament and Meade County went winless in Alabama.