Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boone County 12 - Scott 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Boone County 521 04 -- 12 - 7 - 3
Scott 100 00 -- 1 - 3 - 5

WP: R. Johnson 1-0 (8 K's). LP: Bruemmer (0-3).

Leaders: B-Knotts 3-4, 2 3B; 2 RBI; J. Johnson 2-3; R. Johnson 2B, 2 RBI. S-Covey 2-3, 3B. Records: B 2-1, S 0-5.
Sisters Rachel Johnson and Jenna Johnson have been playing together on the Boone County softball team for five years.

"We're not sick of each other yet because she's a great teammate," Rachel said of Jenna. "We get along really well and we can cheer each other up."

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Both girls pitch well and they can hit, too. This is nothing new to Scott, but the winless Eagles couldn't do anything about it Wednesday while getting run over by the Rebels 12-1 in five innings in Florence.

Rachel Johnson, a senior, struck out eight and threw a three-hitter while keeping the Eagles off-balance with an array of pitches delivered with her herky-jerky wind-up. She helped herself out with a two-run double to left field to begin the scoring during a five-run first.

"They got some good hitters so I had to mix up my pitches a lot," said the right-hander, who hit in the clean-up spot. "There were some bad pitches but most of them went my way."

Jenna Johnson was an offensive spark while hitting second for the Rebels (2-1). The sophomore played second base against the Eagles (0-5) and went 2-for-3.

"She's really stepped it up," Rachel said. "Jenna's always got my back."

The sisters and sophomore shortstop Dallas Knotts, who went 3-for-4 with a pair of triples, generated six of Boone's seven hits off Scott starter Amanda Bruemmer. Knotts' two-run triple to the fence in the fifth completed the scoring.

"I think we're hitting and that gives us confidence" said Jenna Johnson. "If you're hitting now, you have a chance to hit well the whole season."

Rachel Johnson struck out two in the bottom of the fifth and stranded runners at second and third to finish a game originally scheduled at Scott.

"We hit very well and Rachel kept the ball down. When she hits her spots, she's an effective pitcher," Boone coach Andy Petridis said. "We got enough defense behind her to keep us solid."

Bruemmer drove in Scott's lone run. Her first-inning single plated Hannah Covey, who led off with a triple. The Eagles made five errors.

"We're very young, but we practice hard. And, at times, we make great plays," Scott coach Lisa Brewer said.

Covey collected two of Scott's three hits. The rest of the Eagles had a tough time hitting anything solid.

"We're definitely lacking in experience, but the object is to improve," Brewer said. "We'll get there."
Those are some nice pics.
Congrats on the ladies on posting a win, this one will make my brother very happt.

Are the sisters getting any bigtime looks?