Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Blazer 17 Fairview 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kyle Hobstetter
The Independent The Daily Independent Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:38 AM EDT

ASHLAND — For coach Dave Miller, Ashland’s season softball opener could not have gone better. In fact, it went almost flawless.

Behind a Kelsee Hammonds' no-hitter and a power-hitting offense, Ashland topped Fairview, 17-0, in four innings at home Thursday.

Ashland’s hot start wasn’t surprising for Miller, who said the Kittens’ offense can do its own talking.

“We’ve worked hard focusing on hitting, defense and doing the whole thing,” Miller said. “Our hitting spoke for itself tonight.”

The Kittens started the first inning by getting the first four batters on base. Then Jordan Hensley, the No. 5 batter, belted a two-run double off the right field wall.

Hensley was possibly the brightest spot of the Kittens’ lineup, going 4-for-4 with three doubles and five RBIs.

Miller was quick to praise Hensley, but was also quick to praise his entire lineup’s performance.

“What a game that kid had,” Miller said of the senior. “You can go down the line with how many kids who had multi-hit games tonight. We just came out and hit the ball extremely well.”

The Kittens had five players with multi-hit nights, including Kathryn Jackson and Katie Caron. Jackson went 3-for-4 with three RBIs. Caron finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs.

The biggest strike of the game came from the bat of McKenzie Vanover who, with a runner on, hit a home run that cleared the scoreboard in the deepest part of left field in the third inning.

Miller, though, joked that Vanover could have given it more of a ride.

“I got mad at McKenzie Vanover ’cause she caught that one on her hands,” Miller said with chuckle. “I was praying ’cause I wanted it in or over the truck (that was parked beyond the fence). As soon as it left the bat we knew it was gone.”

Vanover went 3-for-4 with three RBIs.

What could be lost in an onslaught of offense was the pitching performance of Hammonds, a senior, who was two walks away from a perfect game.

Hammonds allowed just two baserunners while striking out six Fairview batters.

The senior said that she felt a few nerves before the game and that it showed as she walked the first Fairview batter.

“We all had our jitters, but I was excited to get back on the field,” Hammonds said. “The first inning I came out and I was a little bit nervous, but once we got the hang of it I was good.”

Hammonds went 3-for-3 with two doubles and two RBIs while scoring three runs from the leadoff spot in the lineup.

Her team’s offensive display had Hammonds thinking ahead.

“With our hitting, I think we’re unstoppable through our region especially. It’s exciting,” she said.

FAIRVIEW 000 0 — 0 0 0

ASHLAND 706 4 — 17 17 0

Thompson and Kirk; Hammonds and Preece. W—Hammonds. L—Thompson. 2B—Hammonds (A) 2, Hensley (A) 3, Meade (A). HR—Vanover (A).
Ashland very nice team... probably best team other than Lafayette east of louisville
the kittens played 2 games sat they no hit both teams! 3 no hitters to start the season!
The kittens won tonight 17-0 over Raceland! It was another no-no for the kittens!!!!