Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trinity 56 - Southwestern 47 (Sweet 16)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Well, Congrats to Trinity... & SW making it this far. I guess Wrighted learned he can't Recruit nearly as well as Trinity can. Already seeing SW fans with the recruiting excuses on FB, please! Wright is one of the best at the category (recruiting) don't worry you will get there in a few years, just ask SL.
Great game from Southwestern! I just want to say congrats to the Warriors and the GREAT group of seniors that led this team to their first Sweet 16 in school history and then they were able to make it all the way to the Semi-Finals and play and extremely good game against the #1 team in the state!
Trinity takes out Southwestern

No. 1 Trinity is headed to the Sweet Sixteen championship game after beating Southwestern 56-47 in Saturday morning’s semifinals in Rupp Arena.

The Shamrocks had a tough time pulling away from Southwestern. They led by only four (41-37) with 6 minutes left. But Nathan Dieudonne sparked an 8-0 run with a dunk. Troy Saxton followed with a three-pointer, and Charles Foster had an old-fashioned three-point play to make it 49-37 with 3:30 left.

Trinity was then content to work the clock and Southwestern was forced to foul the rest of the way.

Trinity won its 17th game in a row and improved its record to 34-3.

Southwestern was led by 6-foot-4, 270-pound senior Rob Lewis, who had 14 points, including a three at the buzzer. David Kapinga had 13 points and 5 assists. Justin Edwards added 7 points and 9 rebounds.

Dieudonne led the Rocks with 16 points and 7 rebounds. Foster had 12 points and 7 rebounds. Saxton had 8 points, Darryl Hicks had 8 points, and James Quick added 6 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.
No Team in KHSAA History has ever won both Football State Championship and Basketball State Championship in the Same Year. Trinity is able to do that tonight
Very impressed with the way Southwestern played in this game and the tournament. The SW community had a great group of young men represent them.
Barring an incredible 23 point comeback by Oldham Co. in the 4th quarter, it's looking like Trinity will play Scott Co. in the finals.
Great run Southwestern.
Great job by SW to really make this game against an outstanding Trinity team
Great game by the Warriors. I didn't think the game would be this close, but I am glad I was wrong. Great amount of effort showed today by the team wearing blue and orange. Congrats to Coach and the Warriors on the best season in school history! Also, best of luck to the 5 seniors in the next phase of their lives.
As top-ranked Trinity advanced to Saturday night's finals of the PNC/KHSAA Boys' State Basketball Tournament, Southwestern exited with helds head high.

And with one head held.

Sleek point guard David Kapinga took a direct hit to his left eye with 5½ minutes left and spent the rest of the game on the bench, holding an ice pack to his head.

He could do nothing as Trinity pulled away for a 56-47 Saturday morning victory in Rupp Arena.

"He got a finger in the eye, the trainer said. He got jabbed pretty good," Southwestern Coach Steve Wright said. "... Unfortunately for us, really, we had already dug ourselves a little bit of a hole."

Trinity took a 43-37 lead when Nathan Dieudonne shook loose on the low post for a dunk with 5:39 left. Kapinga, who had 13 points and five assists, was injured on the ensuing inbound play.

Trinity got a three-pointer from Troy Saxton, and Charles Foster converted a three-point play at 3:44, ballooning the lead to 49-37. Then, the gap never fell below seven.

"I guess the moral of the story is it doesn't matter how it gets done, as long as it gets done," Shamrocks Coach Mike Szabo said. "I credit Coach Wright and his team. ... I thought they did a great job controlling the tempo. They limited our rebounding as well. I think they did a great job.

"I'm really proud of my team for staying tough, grinding it out, making enough plays to move on."

Dieudonne, a 6-foot-7 Boston University recruit, led Trinity (34-3) with 16 points and seven rebounds. Charles Foster had 12 points and seven boards. James Quick totaled eight rebounds, six points and four assists.

Southwestern (29-9) got 14 points off the bench from 6-4, 272-pound senior Rob Lewis. Justin Edwards led the Warriors with nine rebounds, adding seven points.

Southwestern led 12-11 through a quarter and 22-21 at halftime. Trinity missed its first eight three-point shots and was 2-for-12 at the break.

"We were all just a little frustrated with ourselves because we were down one," Dieudonne said. "But we knew we were going to come out, we still had a lot of energy. There was just a lot of seriousness in the room."

The Shamrocks drained their first four second-half shots — three-pointers by Foster (two), Dieudonne and Saxton — to lead 33-24.

Southwestern scored eight straight points, Lewis muscling inside for the last six.

Trinity led 36-33 through three quarters.

Wright called his players "just good kids that work hard, are fun to be around every day. Make an old guy want to go to work."

He noted that the fathers of two Warriors — Lewis and sophomore reserve Robby Miller — died in January.

"The way (the team) supported each other, it's a life lesson that they can take away with them the rest of their lives," he said. "And that's really what a team's about. It's not about the wins and losses; it's about the relationships. We had that, and it was special."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/17/21148...rylink=cpy
Not hard to win games when you go out and recruit the positions that you need so I hope the ones that help in that process is reading this because at the end of the day what you done was wrong. People will see what I'm talking about when new players arrive next year. And when I hear that the seniors got them there,,,,, well look at the box scores I think Kapinga helped a little. Everyone can say what they want buts it's the truthSmile
I believe the same could be said about Scott Co. and Trinity as well.
Exactly. That doesn't say much about the coach in my opinion. Tells me their in it for themselves
FIRST Wrote:I believe the same could be said about Scott Co. and Trinity as well.

As well as all the other successful and semi-successful programs in the Commonwealth.
Congrats Trinity