Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Advocate-Messenger 2011-12 All-Area Boys Basketball Team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prep Basketball: Danville's Tryston Ford leads boys All-Area team
By: Hal Morris

When Andrew Zaheri took over as Danville’s basketball coach last September, he wasn’t sure what he had to work with.

But once the season started, he knew he a gem in Tryston Ford. The rest of the area coaches knew what Zaheri had as well, because the Danville senior guard is the The Advocate-Messenger Area Boys Basketball Player of the Year after leading the balloting of area coaches for the Advocate’s All-Area Team.

Zaheri said Ford is well deserving of the honor after the way he led his inexperienced squad.

“Tryston had a tough year. I know a kid with his ability, he was hoping for a few more wins to go out on. But he deserves everything that comes his way,” Zaheri said. “I’m lucky to have coached a kid like Tryston. You don’t get too many Tryston Fords. I wish I had him a couple of more years. A player like that, you can’t put into words (what he means).”

Ford averaged 18 points and 3.0 assists per game for the Admirals, who won the 12th Region All “A” Classic title and advanced to the statewide All “A” Classic quarterfinals.

“He was really the only player we had back that played significant minutes last year, so he was put in a lot of situations to be a leader, and he was expected to do so much for us,” Zaheri said.

Ford is a repeat selection on this year’s All-Area team, along with Michael Arnett and Micah Satterly of Boyle County and Luke Hill of Lincoln County. There are six newcomers on this year’s team.

Boyle led area teams with three selections, while Lincoln and Danville had two apiece. Three coaches shared the honors as the Advocate’s Area Boys Co-Coaches of the Year — Zaheri, Don Irvine of Burgin and Jeff Jackson of Lincoln County.

Here’s a closer look at this year’s team:

First Team

Tryston Ford

Ford was a second-team pick last year, and Zaheri said he could not have done more for the Admirals this season.

“Especially on offense, Tryston did so many things for us besides put the ball in the basket,” Zaheri said. “It’s not every year you get to coach a kid who when they play an opponent, the team has to come up with a defense to slow him down. I was pleased with our team turnovers per game, and Tryston had the ball in his hands most of the time, and he still led the team in scoring.

“When you have a kid like Tryston, you always have a chance for the outcome you are hoping for.”

Trenton Edgington

The Lincoln senior was an honorable mention all-area pick last season, and has been the picture of steadiness. He averaged 12 points, 4 assists and three rebounds per game and shot 42 percent from the floor while leading a young Lincoln squad.

“Trenton is a three-year starter, good ball-handler and possibly the best pure passer to come through Lincoln County since I have been here,” Jackson said. “And he’s an excellent student.”

Luke Hill

A second-team pick last year, Hill solidified the middle for Lincoln. He’s smaller than most centers he went against, but the 6-3 junior averaged 14 points and 7 rebounds per game, handed out 2 assists per game and tied for the area’s best shooter at 64 percent from the floor.

“Luke is a two-year starter and really does a good job inside, plays bigger than his size,” Jackson said. “He had a great attitude and personality. He’s an excellent student, and fun to be around.”

Micah Satterly

Satterly repeats as a first-team performer after leading regional runner-up Boyle in scoring at 14 points per game and assists with 84. He also averaged 3 rebounds per game and shot 68 percent from the free-throw line. He also had the responsibility of getting the Rebels into their offense.

“He is the guy that makes us go. We play how Micah plays,” Boyle coach Steve Adams said. “He has done an excellent job leading our team the last half of the season. I thought he played his best floor game of the year in the (45th) District finals.”

Alex Beckerson

The Burgin junior led the area in scoring at 20.4 points per game and in rebounds at 9.6 per game. He also tied Lincoln’s Hill at 64 percent from the field, taking 411 shots.

“Alex's rate of improvement skyrocketed this season. He started playing within his strengths and made us able to build our offense around him because of that fact,” Irvine said. “I think that Alex will continue to improve and have a tremendous season as a senior next year. He gave us a very good effort every night, and his drive to win is one of his great strengths.”

Second Team

Austin Sebastian

The Garrard County sophomore guard averaged 15.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game and shot 46 percent from 3-point range and 69 percent from the foul line.

“Austin is one of the hardest working kids I have seen in high school basketball. I believe he has made major strides this season in showing his capabilities as a next level athlete,” Garrard coach Brandon Cooper said. “This season, Austin had to fight through some shooting slumps, which all athletes do, but instead of letting it bring him down he found other ways to lead his team such as rebounding, handling the basketball, and finding ways to get to the rim.”

Michael Arnett

A second-team selection last season, the 6-4 Arnett became a force inside for Boyle, averaging 12 points and 10 rebounds per game, shooting 49 percent from the field and was second on the team at 76 percent from the foul line.

“Michael is ‘Mr. Double-Double.’ Every time we look at the stat sheet after the game he has a double-double,” Adams said. “Michael is an excellent rebounder and scorer. Michael had to play well for us to be successful.”

Russell Sims

Mercer County put an entirely new team in the floor this year, and Sims emerged as the best of the new crop. The sophomore guard led the Titans in scoring (11.5 points per game) and rebounds (5.8 per game) and shot 73 percent from the free-throw line.

“Russell is one of the most athletic kids in the school. He could pick up any sport and be success,” Mercer coach Brian Britt said. “Russell was also second in assists. He lead the team in free throw attempts (124 for 169) because he is a slasher but is a decent shooter as well. The sky is the limit for this young man if he wishes to pursue this sport after high school.”

Kyle Rice

The Boyle senior emerged as one of the team’s most consistent players, especially during the Rebels’ late-season surge.

“Kyle is our silent leader. We have really started playing well when Kyle started being aggressive on the offensive end of the floor,” Adams said. “We ask an awful lot of Kyle: He guards the oppositions best offensive player, helps handle the ball, and scores.”

Rice was second on the team in scoring (12 points per game), rebounds (5 per game) and assists (60).

He also shot 43 percent from the floor and a team-best 77 percent from the foul line.

Devonta Alcorn

The Danville junior provided a toughness and inside presence for the Admirals after averaging 8 points and 8.7 rebounds per game.

“When you look at our game book and look at when we started getting a few wins, it was when Devonta started playing center for us,” Zaheri said. “When he came out after football season, I wasn’t sure what I expected of him. But he definitely got better as the season went on. When Devonta came into the game with the right mindset, we were a much better club. And I’m expecting a big year out of him next year.”

The Advocate-Messenger 2011-12 All-Area Boys Basketball Team

First Team

Name, School Hgt. Yr. Pos. Pts. Rebs.
Tryston Ford, Danville 5-9 Sr. G 18.0 a-2.9
Trenton Edgington, Lincoln County 5-8 Sr. G 12.0 a-4.0
Luke Hill, Lincoln County 6-3 Jr. C 14.0 7.0
Micah Satterly, Boyle County 5-8 Sr. G 14.0 a-3.2
Alex Beckerson, Burgin 6-5 Jr. F 20.4 9.6

Second Team

Name, School Hgt. Yr. Pos. Pts. Rebs.
Austin Sebastian, Garrard County 6-3 So. G 15.8 6.5
Michael Arnett, Boyle County 6-4 Sr. C 12.0 10.0
Russell Sims, Mercer County 6-1 So. G 11.5 5.8
Kyle Rice, Boyle County 6-2 Sr. F 12.0 5.0
Devonta Alcorn, Danville 6-2 Jr. F 8.0 8.7
a-assists

Co-Coaches of the Year
Don Irvine, Burgin; Jeff Jackson, Lincoln County; Andrew Zaheri, Danville

Honorable Mention
Rob Caudill, Danville; Luke Carman, Casey County; Jordan Duncan, Mercer County; Markell Hayes, Garrard County; John Ingram, Mercer County; Clayton Ray, Garrard County; Micah Ward, Lincoln County.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...full.story