Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Walton-Verona star nearing hit record
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While she was playing softball in grade school it was pitching that always set Walton-Verona senior Jenalee Ginn apart, but now it’s her hitting that has her within striking distance of setting a state record.

Ginn, who pitches and plays shortstop, enters this season 53 hits away from the state career record of 349 set by North Laurel’s Emily Gaines from 2005-10. Ginn had 64 hits last season when she batted .455 and helped lead Walton-Verona to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association Eighth Region championship and its first state softball tournament berth.

She also went 14-4 with a 2.43 ERA on the mound last season.

“I was a great pitcher as a grade schooler and then the hitting caught up,” Ginn said. “My grandpa worked with me a lot on my pitching when I was younger and I really just kind of taught myself how to hit.”

While Ginn throws right-handed, she swings left-handed with a short compact swing that helps her make contact more times than not (she struck out just five times in 151 plate appearances last season), but she’s also strong enough to hit for some power, too, as she had 21 doubles, seven triples, four homers and a slugging percentage of .776.

“Her swing is a little unorthodox, but we really haven’t messed with her, because it works,” said Walton-Verona coach John Anderson. “Her bat speed and getting the bat into the hitting zone is just phenomenal.”

Ginn had her success last season despite playing with what Anderson described as, “an 80 percent tear in her labrum,” in her right shoulder. She had offseason surgery to repair it and while she also was a starting guard on the basketball team, which won the Eighth Region the last two seasons, she wasn’t supposed to return to until January. She was ready when the season started.

“There’s no doubt she’s a battler in anything she does,” said Anderson. “We knew she was hurting pretty bad and we were all hoping it wouldn’t snap on her last season and she fought through it and then had the surgery.

“She scared me a little diving on the floor during basketball season, but it’s just the way she plays. She goes all out.”

Ginn will likely split time again this season between pitching and playing shortstop thanks in part to the continued development of sophomore pitcher Hannah Thacker, who went 15-6 with a 1.74 ERA. The duo are two of eight starters Walton-Verona returns from last year’s team.

“Throwing overhand it definitely still hurts,” said Ginn. “I just need to get it stronger.”

Both Anderson and Ginn say her future playing in college will likely be as either a shortstop or second baseman. Ginn said she’s leaning toward going to Morehead State, but the team has a full roster and she might have to redshirt. She said several other smaller schools have expressed interest, and Anderson said he thinks Ginn could pitch for a smaller school, too.

One thing he’s sure of is that Ginn will be able to hit wherever she goes.

“Hitting is not going to be an issue for her,” said Anderson.

If ever there was evidence of just how good of a hitter Ginn has become it came this past Saturday when just two days after playing for the basketball team in the state tournament she went 4-for-4 at the plate in a scrimmage game.

“Basketball kept me pretty busy and I only got to go hit a couple of times this winter,” said Ginn. “Hitting comes pretty naturally to me now. I get so mad when I don’t get a hit, even if it’s a scrimmage game. Hopefully it’s a sign that this is going to be a good year.”
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...303140061/
Jenalee is a great player. Her team should be one of the favorites to win the 8th again this year.