Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Madison Central H.S. SOCCER: Johnson headed to Union
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RICHMOND — Jordan Johnson has been playing soccer most of his life.

The Madison Central senior’s playing career will continue for at least four more years.

Johnson on Friday signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Union College in Barbourville.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play college soccer,” Johnson said. “All the hard work and hours has gotten me to do that.”

Johnson began playing soccer when he was four years old.

He competed on the Central varsity squad for three years and also plays club ball with Bluegrass White.

This past season Central went 11-10, finishing as the district runner up. The Indians won the district title during Johnson’s sophomore and junior years, compliling a 26-9 record during those two years.

Johnson was a major part of the Central defense, playing mainly center back, though, he was often moved around to other positions to help provide more offense.

He said he expects to play center back in college.

Union College went 10-7-2 last season while competing in the Appalachian Athletic Conference.

The Bulldogs lost in the quarterfinals of the AAC tournament.

Johnson visited Union College recently and was immediately offered a chance to play for the Bulldogs.

He didn’t hesitate, accepting the offer within a few days.

“I just loved the campus and it was the best choice for me for an education,” Johnson said. “They put school first. I just want to get my degree and play something I love. If I ever play soccer professionally and get hurt I’ll have something to fall back on.”

Johnson said he would like to study education and pursue a career as an elementary school teacher.

While he finishes his senior season at Central, Johnson will continue to workout and prepare for the challenge of playing college soccer.