Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: St. Patrick Lady Saints' softball team welcome new leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If the St. Patrick Lady Saints' softball team takes on the personality of its first-year coach, you can rest assured you will see an enthusiastic and spirited effort on the field this season.
Bobby Withrow takes over the program for the 2012 campaign after serving on Jeff Crawford's staff in recent years.
Withrow, who previously coached at Fleming County, isn't quite sure what to expect in his first season leading the Lady Saints.
"Being at a small school, the numbers aren't great and I don't know how many games we'll win this year but I want us to be competitive and I think we will be," he said. "We've only been on the field three times going into our first game on Wednesday at Covington Latin, but we did have a scrimmage on Sunday against Georgetown and we looked pretty good."
Withrow admitted his style differs greatly from the soft-spoken Crawford as well.
"I'm a lot different from Jeff but the girls know how I am. I'll yell and holler but I always encourage 'em," said Withrow. "These girls are as good a bunch as you can be around and I've been around for a while. They want to learn and we have some very good athletes. We just need some experience on the field and I look for us to get better once we get into the season and playing more often. We're also going to have some fun."
St. Patrick finished a respectable 10-11 a year ago but pitcher Katie Crawford graduated and is now playing at Union College, leaving Withrow with a challenge to find a replacement in the middle of the diamond.
"Lauren Welch pitched a little last year," said Withrow of the junior right-hander. "She went to some pitching clinics in the offseason and she did extremely well in our scrimmage on Sunday. Allison Tolle is a senior who hasn't played for a few years and she will pitch for us too. She also pitched in the scrimmage and once she got over the jitters, she did fine. I am stressing to them to just get the ball over the plate for now because speed isn't all that important."
Welch and Tolle will likely see some time in the outfield and at shortstop when not in the pitching circle, according to Withrow, who added that he's not real sure how things are going to shake out until the season gets underway.
"It's kinda hard right now to say what exactly is going to happen until we get more time on the field," he said.
On the right side of the infield will be junior Hannah Ring and junior Kaitlyn Yeary at the first and second base spots.
"Hannah played some at second base last year but she has the height to play at first," Withrow said. "Kaitlyn is a very good athlete and Morgan Swolsky's another senior who will play several positions, maybe some at first, second and in the outfield."
Withrow is impressed with sophomore third baseman Hayley Hay.
"Hayley has been a pleasant surprise," he said. "She's a pretty good hitter, she has a rocket for an arm and she's accurate. Hayley got hurt last year making a slide, tearing her ACL but she can move well now and she's gonna be a very good player."
Senior Allison McKay will be behind the plate for the Lady Saints and she will be backed up by junior Jessica Fowler.
"Allison does have some experience catching and she will be one of our top hitters as well," Withrow said. "Jessica is still learning to catch and she will also play some in the outfield and she made a great shoestring catch in our scrimmage playing out there."
Withrow said others in the mix for outfield spots include seniors Chelsea Douglas and Morgan Bach, along with junior Sarah Clos and sophomores Erin Williams and Lola Gentry.
"Chelsea, along with Morgan and Allison Tolle are all seniors who are trying to get their timing down at the plate but Chelsea can really cover some ground in center field," said the coach. "Morgan will probably start in right field and Sarah may be in left. She has a pretty good arm and Erin and Lola will also help us in the outfield positions."
The Lady Saints are scheduled to begin the home portion of their schedule against Newport on Friday.

Read more: http://www.maysville-online.com/sports/l...z1p3RNUdyw