Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Floyd resigns as Raceland basketball coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RACELAND — The position of head boys basketball coach is officially open at Raceland after Scott Floyd submitted his resignation on Friday, according to Bill Farley, the school’s athletic director.

“You can look at our record and see that we haven’t done as well as we’d like to,” Farley said. “He just thought that it was time to step away.”

Floyd guided a senior-laden team to a 19-10 record in his first season in 2007-08. The Rams were 63rd District champions — they have had four district titles in school history.

Raceland has failed to reach the 16th Region Tournament the last four seasons, a period during which the Rams went 36-75 overall.

“From a personal standpoint, I felt like the program wasn’t necessarily going in the right direction,” Floyd said. “Maybe a change in the program is best for the kids.

“I’m a competitor,” he added. “I like to win. I wasn’t up to my standards.”

Before serving as head basketball coach, Floyd was an assistant to Shawn Johnson. Floyd was also the school’s head softball coach for the five seasons prior to taking the basketball job.

During his softball stint, the Lady Rams turned in three regional runner-up finishes.

“Unfortunately, that success didn’t translate into basketball,” Floyd said.

With eight seniors on the squad, the Rams flourished throughout Floyd’s first season. The results have been less than satisfactory since, which has bothered Floyd more than anyone, he said.

“Nobody will ever be as hard on me as myself,” said Floyd. “I want to thank Mr. (Frank) Melvin (school superintendent) and Larry Coldiron (principal) for giving me the opportunity to be a head coach. I just think it’s time to move on.”

Eight of 13 players on the varsity roster this past season, which ended in February with a 11-20 overall mark and a first-round district tournament loss to Greenup County, were freshmen.

“Whoever takes over has some good young experienced kids,” Floyd said. “There are nine kids (returning) that played a significant amount of time at the varsity level.”

Floyd, 41, plans to stay on board as a middle school math teacher. His wife teaches in the Raceland school system, and his children attend Raceland.

Coaching again is not out of the question, Floyd said.

“I’ll never say never about getting back into coaching,” Floyd said. “I will definitely look into becoming an assistant coach again.

“Right now, it’s a situation where I can spend more time with my family and get the batteries reenergized,” he added.

According to Farley, Raceland wants to hire Floyd’s replacement in a “fairly quick” manner.
Who do you think will be their next coach?
I understand Andrew Zaheri the current Danville coach, assistant coach at Rowan is interested in the Raceland Job.
I think they stay in house. Bob Trimble just goes to the boys team I think it would be a good move
Mills gets his way, and is your new coach.
Kosar Wrote:Mills gets his way, and is your new coach.

Marty Mills?
The Ams will be thrilled!