Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Deciding one's own destiny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If cheer leading isn't recognized as a sport in Kentucky, then how can it be that the KHSAA can decide who cheers for whom? If cheer leaders work and fundraise or accept donations from outside willing contributors, while accepting nothing from the school, how is it that the school can use cheer leading as its first tool in title nine compliance? IMHO this is totally bogus and since cheer isn't considered a sport, then cheer leading squads should be able to decide for whom they wish to cheer. (& here's something else to consider... if your cheerleaders cheer for football and you have a volleyball team, do the cheerleaders have to cheer = #'s of games for each under this title nine cluster.....?)
I'm just anxious to hear some opinions!
Cheerleading and Title 9 go together like oil and water.  Either say it's a sport, or leave it alone. 
[quote author=Pirate Pal link=topic=20881.msg211211#msg211211 date=1142361980]
Cheerleading and Title 9 go together like oil and water.  Either say it's a sport, or leave it alone. 
[/quote]

YOU'VE GOT THAT RIGHT... BUT YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT AS LONG AS THE KAPOS GALS AND THE KHSAA "boys" ARE INTERTWINED PROFESSIONALLY AND PERSONALLY, NOTHING IS EVER GONNA CHANGE!
I think that it is very hard for one squad to have to cheer girls games, boys games, and still be practicing for competitions.  It is also dangerous since everyone gets so exhausted.
not to mention keeping up homework. It's past time that someone challenged this! Just because cheer is a sitting duck, doesn't mean it should be shang hi'ed! Shame on the KHSAA boys and KAPOS girls for allowing the cheerleaders to be a pawn to the idiotic schools administrators who think this action will appease anyone!
They will never understand until they have to go through it. The school board tries to change things for cheerleaders all the time and they just don't have any idea.
With all due respect, with as big a cowboys as the floyd county school board tries to be, this situation would seem "PRIMO" for such a move. Floyd County always is able to attract attention statewide in the media. Maybe calling out the KHSAA on this one would end up in a class action type of deal and cheer leaders would actually "win" one! ( remember the movie where folks stood while flapping their imaginary angel wings and repeated, "it could happen"!!!) I would say that if enough people got wind of this and got on board, tides could be turned... you know there's been bunches of cheer leaders suffer thru this, who's fathers were lawyers and would so love to overturn this injustice! It's coersion to hold a group hostage and use them to cheer for specific groups against their will whenever you do not recognize them as a sport or even help to fund them in any way. Expecting some groups to cheer four nights a week during tournament season when the end of their nine weeks is at hand and school work is not even considered. What a mess. This is surely a case some young turk of a lawyer would enjoy using to make a name for themselves!
Title IX
the federal rule on it is who made the decision that cheerleading was not a sport. I am the last person to defend the khsaa or our local boards, cheerleading was considered to be nothing more than a support group like pep band. And before you bash me it was the govt. not me.
So unfortunatly your fight is with Washington not the khsaa.
And trust me colleges would love to see it seen as a sport then they could cut more expensive pro
i am so NOT one to scream "LITIGATE"....  but how on earth can it be right to use title nine to keep some girls silent? It's like this you're saying... in order to get this thing changed, we must repeal this to make cheer a sport and thus opening it up and thus college womens sports would be cut... man that is so wack! Can't someone somehwere care enough to at least make it so that if schools just have one squad, they don't have to sacrifice their grades and health just to keep some school reports turn out okay at the  end of the year? I am so sick of this. It was okay to have JV squads cheering for girls, it was beneficial for the younger girls to get that type of exposure! Title nine should be about making sure girls get the top notch facilities, best playing times, equal radio exposure and media coverage = dollars of support, uniforms, equipment and all of the things the girls programs need in order to impact their teams directly. I'm not mad at anyone on this thread about this... I realize we're all in agreement.... but it does frost me to know that the "bathtardth" have us over a barrell!
as far as your question about VBall and cheering if anyone ever pushed then I would say if they cheer at football games they will at vball as well. If you go to a Div I volleyball game you will see the varsity cheerleaders cheering I know they do in the sec, big 10, and big 12.

I understand where you are coming from but as far as affecting grades etc it could be handled as some school dist are at this time cheer only at home games. Boys/girls can schedule up 24 games so if you only cheer at home games and say district tourny then a squad would not be out any longer than any other group. So if the Boys have 8 home games and the girls have 10 a squad would be out 16 evenings no bus trip really not all that bad.
I know in years past many of the letcher co schools never took cheerleaders to away games.

As far as JV squads cheering for girls, if you look at some of the Old floyd co. Annuals then you will see Boys cheerleader, Girls cheerleaders, and B team cheerleader so you had 3 squads and the B team didnt travel.

And yes it may be "whacked" but unfortunatly that is how it is.
If you really want to see whacked I will look for an article I read concerning a softball coach who filed against her school and the local board
Among other athletic department matters covered by Title IX is equal access for boys and girls to a school's training staff and weight rooms. Scheduling is often a major issue; schools are not permitted to have either the boys' or girls' teams use all the desirable evening or weekend times for games or the most popular after-school times for practice. Gymnasiums must be shared. The mode of transportation to games or practices must be fundamentally equivalent.

Coaching salaries also must be comparable. The schools must make an effort to publicize girls teams the way they publicize boys teams. Title IX even covers the cheerleaders, who are not supposed to cheer more often for boys teams than for girls teams.

this is a quote from the NewYork Times
By BILL PENNINGTON

Published: June 29, 2004

I had heard about this. I was just raging against the whole thing. I just get so annoyed when most schools aren't really doing much to make things equal and once their audit comes along that's the first thing written in, for their 5 year plan.... "oh yeah we're gonna get those cheerleaders to cheer 50/50".... liike that's a "big deal", when in reality it's peanuts compared to what they should be doing to get into compliance. This whole thing makes me upset to think we must have a law to make people in administrative positions in our schools, who are our lifelong friends and sometimes our family members, before they will treat our daughters as they treat our sons. Bad business for certain and it certainly makes for sore feelings.
Tournament time is when it really gets hard for the cheerleaders, especially since their competition time is entertwined among the tournament dates and these seem to always fall the last 2 weeks of a grading period. I guess all we can say is "work hard girls"! :thumpsup: