Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lincoln County 72 vs.Magoffin County (at E.A. Diddle Arena, Bowling Green) 59
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Congrats to the Lincoln County Lady Patriots! Best of luck against Marion County tomorrow!
Congrats on a great season lady hornets
BOWLING GREEN - Emily Fox is used to coming up big for Lincoln County. And the junior came up huge when the Patriots needed it most Friday.

Fox scored 10 of her game-high 23 points in the fourth quarter and keyed the decisive run to help Lincoln pull away from Magoffin County 72-59 in the Girls Sweet Sixteen quarterfinals to earn a berth in Saturday’s final four.

“I knew that I had to step up and be a leader and get the ball to the open people and penetrate whenever it’s open,“ said Fox, who also had five rebounds eight assists, two turnovers and two steals. “We knew they only played six, so we just had to pass the ball and wear them down.

“We’re the first team to go to the final four, so it feels pretty good.”

Sydney Harris had 14 points and nine rebounds and Ciara Saylor added 11 points and four steals as Lincoln improved to 26-9.

“What another ballgame. This is what the state tournament is about,” Lincoln coach Cassandra McWhorter said. “I’m proud of the girls. I challenged them, and I told them nobody remembers the elite eight, but everyone remembers the final four.”

It took a while for Lincoln to secure that first trip to the semifinals.

Clinging to a 45-44 lead in the fourth quarter, the Patriots went on a 13-2 run, with Fox scoring nine points, to lead 58-46 with 3:38 to go. Lincoln led 49-46 when Fox was fouled on a layup. She missed the free throw, but the Hornets lost the rebound out of bounds.

Fox made them pay by burying a 3-pointer form the right corner to make it 54-46 with 4:22 to play. Fox started the run with a driving layup from the top of the key, and Sydney Harris ended it on an inbounds layup.

“This is a marathon, not a sprint. We have to make it a full game,” McWhorter said. “Our depth has helped us tremendously. I knew they only play five or six players, and I think that got to them in the fourth quarter.”

While Lincoln was able to make its run in the fourth quarter, the Hornets chances were hurt when Madison Castle rolled her ankle after her shot was blocked by Spangler with 3:17 left in the third quarter and Lincoln leading 40-36. Castle came back, but was ineffective and did not score again, finishing with 18 points.

“I think that did hurt them, she was their best player,” Harris said.

Two free throws from Madison Reed made it 58-50 with 258 left, but the Hornets would not get closer than six the rest of the way on two free throws from Morgan Arnett to cut the lead to 64-58.

From there, Lincoln closed out on an 8-1 run.

The Patriots raced out to a 14-4 lead early, and led 18-11 after a quarter before the Hornets came back to make a game of it.

Leading 24-15 after Tiandra Hocker’s layup, Magoffin went on a 7-0 run, capped by a three-point play from Reed to cut the lead to 24-22 with 4:30 left in the first half.

A free throw from Fox made it 25-22, but the Hornets got a drive from Jasmine Howard and steal and layup from Castle to take a 26-25 lead with 3:46 left in the first half. But Lincoln retook the lead at 28-26 on Fox’s 3-pointer from the right corner. with 2:35 to go. Chansler Gilbert nailed another trey with 19 second left which gave Lincoln a 33-29 halftime lead.

Lincoln shot 54 percent in the second half (15 of 28), and finished the game 28 of 55. The Patriots made five of 11 3-pointers, but just 11 of 24 free throws.

Magoffin (29-5) finished 19 of 44 shooting and hit 21 of 25 at the line. Jasmine Howard scored 21 for the Hornets.
http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...1884.story
Girls Sweet Sixteen
At Bowling Green
Quarterfinals

Lincoln County 18 33 45 72
Magoffin County 11 29 40 59

LINCOLN (26-9) — Sydney Harris 14, Kourtney Belcher 2, Ciara Saylor 11, Emily Fox 23, Rachel Spangler 5, Heidi Huffman 4, Spencer Sims 4, Chansler Gilbert 3, Tiandra Hocker 6.

MAGOFFIN (29-5) — Morgan Arnett 8, Morgan Connelly 2, Jamie Castle 18, Madison Reed 6, Jasmine Howard 21, Kelsey bentley 2, Leslee Howard 2.
Lincoln County 73, Magoffin County 59: Lincoln County nailed down the last spot in the Final Four, and the Lady Patriots (26-9) will meet Marion County in Saturday's semifinals. Emily Fox led the winners with 23 points. Sydney Harris added 12 points and nine rebounds.

Magoffin (29-5) was topped by eighth-grader Jazzy Howard with 21 points. Jamie Castle scored 18.

Lincoln led by as many as 10 points in the first quarter, but Magoffin pulled to within four, 33-29, at halftime.

The lead was 40-36 when Magoffin's leading scorer, Castle (15.2 ppg), had her shot blocked by Rachel Spangler. Castle hit the floor hard and injured her right ankle or foot in the fall. She was carried off the court by Coach Steve Miller.

Castle, named to the all-tourney team, returned in short spurts but was hobbled and did not score again, and the Hornets fully recovered.

■ At halftime of the nightcap, Magoffin County received a check for $2,000 to help in the recovery effort from last week's storm damage. The money was raised "through the efforts of fans and supporters of Lincoln County High School, with a huge assist from the great fans and supporters of Marion County," according to a KHSAA news release.

The check was presented to Tony Skaggs, principal of Magoffin County.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/09/21029...rylink=cpy
12th region in the final four for the 4th year in a roll. Congrats to Lincoln
Girls Sweet Sixteen
At Bowling Green
Quarterfinals

Lincoln County 18 33 45 72
Magoffin County 11 29 40 59

LINCOLN (26-9) — Sydney Harris 14, Kourtney Belcher 2, Ciara Saylor 11, Emily Fox 23, Rachel Spangler 5, Heidi Huffman 4, Spencer Sims 4, Chansler Gilbert 3, Tiandra Hocker 6.

MAGOFFIN (29-5) — Morgan Arnett 8, Morgan Connelly 2, Jamie Castle 18, Madison Reed 6, Jasmine Howard 21, Kelsey bentley 2, Leslee Howard 2.
That is the scary thing about Fox, she can go for 30 on any given night. I have always said that if she gets help, they are dangerous; I was proven right.
On a side note: Lincoln County and Marion County presented Magoffin with a check for the tornado relief. Ashland also presented them with money. The Middle School where a couple of the girls go, was condemned. Such class.
Great gesture
Congrats to Lincoln County. They are a solid team. There are a few what if's for the Lady Hornets from this game. Madison Reed didn't have her normal offensive game in this one, and Jamie Castle getting injured really hurt because she was playing very well and they had a lot of momentum going. Castle finished with 18 anyhow. But eight-grader Jazzy Howard stepped up HUGE for the Lady Hornets with 21 points. But nonetheless, they was defeated by a good team and I am not taking anything away from Lincoln County at all. Very nice ball club. They move really well to be so big. They will be solid next year as well because they don't graduate any players.

And a GREAT thing that Lincoln County and Marion County done donating the two-thousand dollar check to Magoffin County. I also wanna mention that a Ashland Blazer parent and player I believe came up to the principal yesterday while we was watching an earlier game at the arena and gave him a card with money that had been signed by all the players. Now that is class. The day after we beat them they do something like that? That was amazing. And lastly I wanna give a shout-out to Logan County high school. They hosted our girls for practice Friday morning and after the practice the Logan County girls team surprised our girls with pizza, cake and ice cream. Then all of there student section came down and circled the girls and done a nice chant for them and told them that they would come and support them and be there student section. And they represented well. Great gesture by them. The out-pour of love and support for this team and especially our community has been almost over-whelming. It is so greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of this in any way!

Lady Hornets finish the season with a record of 29-5, which is the school's record, a 57th District Tournament Championship, a 15th Region All "A" Championship, and the 15th Region Tournament Championship and a win over a very good Ashland team in the sweet 16. Nothing to be ashamed of this season at all. Congrats on a great season girls. Looking forward to another great season next year!