Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Track record in Tyler Bray's sights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When Lloyd track and field coach Greg Enxel says the sky is the limit for senior high jumper Tyler Bray, he’s not kidding.

“We’re pushing for a state record of 7 feet,” Enxel said. “Tyler jumped 6-8 last year at state, and he knows he can go higher.”

The record of 6 feet 10¾ inches set in 1988 by Highlands’ Tom Noe is one of the more hallowed records in Kentucky. Bray has put himself within range of it in less than two years.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

“I wasn’t on a track team until last year so I didn’t really know a lot and coach helped me get a state ring on raw talent,” said Bray, who also competes in the long jump, hurdles and sprints. “This year, I know more and I expect to do a lot better.”

Enxel is aiding the defending state Class 2A high jump champion by helping him hurdle psychological barriers.

“You’re trying to clear a bar, and if you do it right, it’s behind you when you go over it and you can’t see it. And Tyler hasn’t been doing this very long,” Enxel said. “If he can visualize what he’s doing when he’s in the air, that will add to his jump.”

The local track season begins next week. Once Bray gets a few meets under his belt, he will have the benefit of visualizing his jumps via video. The goal is to capture images of his shoulders, in relationship to the bar, as his leap peaks.

While a second consecutive state high jump championship would provide perfect closure to his career, Bray is determined to make a run at the 7-foot barrier because it might be necessary to hold the record, if he sets it. Joining him in the bid will be Warren Central senior Donovan Halsel, who won last year’s Class 3A title with a leap of 6-8 after qualifying with a jump of 6-10, a height Bray has not cleared at a meet.

Points by Bray, pole vaulter Dylan Withers, distance runner Alex Henn and sprinter Ryan Reynolds should help the Juggernauts improve upon their seventh-place team finish at last year’s Class 2A regional. Defending champion Covington Catholic is the team to beat.

Defending Class 3A regional champion Dixie Heights will have to hold off Ryle, Campbell County, Boone County, Simon Kenton and Cooper to repeat. The region’s Class A contingent of defending champ Bishop Brossart, indoor champion St. Henry, Walton-Verona and Beechwood is as strong as any in the state.

“We’re in a tough region,” Brossart first-year coach Chris Davis said.

Other individual state title contenders to watch include Brossart distance runner Michael Caldwell, Beechwood jumper Cameron Vocke, Walton-Verona hurdler Zach MacAdams, St. Henry jumper Craig Aldridge, distance runner Brendan Dooley and pole vaulter Zach Haake.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...303080176/
[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120308&Category=SPT...y-s-sights]Tyler Bray of Lloyd won the long jump at the Lloyd Invitational in May
[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120308&Category=SPT...y-s-sights]Beechwood junior Cameron Vocke was fifth in the long jump at the Area 5 championships
I always find it funny how people say todays kids are better Athetes than those of past years. If that was always the case than Noe's high Jump record would have never lasted 24 years. I think todays kids have better places to practice and better equipment but the athletic ablity is pretty much the same. I hope Bray goes 7 feet if he does I would bet its 15 years or longer before someones break the record again.